• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Completely Optional Military

DeletedUser4778

Since the devs and designers themselves have stated that fighting will always be optional in Elvenar, then I believe it should also be the case that all military research and buildings are optional as well. Quests that ask to train troops would likewise need to be replaced with something else or at the very least give a non-military alternative.

Please give us this option to have a game that's completely focused on city building.

DeletedUser4778

I would prefer that, too, but considering the "always optional" statement that the makers have made, I see no reason why related techs, buildings, and quests also aren't optional. Feels like some kind of half-baked system to me.

DeletedUser3297

I agree, I also think that all non-boosted techs should be optional as well. New players might realize from the start that it would be better to go boost only.

But this would speed up your progress through the tech tree if military techs were optional, the devs wouldn't want that ;)
Just like the only "optional" techs are city expansions to give you the illusion that you actually have a choice in the game.

DeletedUser4778

I definitely agree with the non-boosted techs. It would also cause less confusion in newbies who tend to build all factories like I did and also encourage trading (and, unfortunately, scouting but that's where a good fellowship comes in).

Well, there are a few optional squad size researches. I'd just like all military stuff to be optional. I don't like it that the tech tree is set up so that we all end up in the same place with mostly exactly the same researches in a game where time and KP are quite precious.

DeletedUser4471

Yay! (sarcasm) Two KPs from finishing a useless manufactory upgrade, and close to moving back on to something that will help me and, BAM! Have to roll back to complete a box to upgrade Cerberus (which I don't have and expect to never use). Things that occur in the past should be optional, imo. Carrots are always preferred to sticks. Just saying.

edeba

Stupid upgrade today was enough to make one of our valued fellowship members quit. I was in the middle of researching the coal and having to go back for not one, but two useless research when everything is tied up on what you were in the middle of doing...

Yay! (sarcasm) Two KPs from finishing a useless manufactory upgrade, and close to moving back on to something that will help me and, BAM! Have to roll back to complete a box to upgrade Cerberus (which I don't have and expect to never use). Things that occur in the past should be optional, imo. Carrots are always preferred to sticks. Just saying.

DeletedUser4778

I was working on granite mines and then the mandatory militaristic always-going-backwards Inno-way-or-the-highway research happens. I expected it but still... Grrrr. A similar thing prevented me from entering the Dwarves chapter before the Halloween event ended. That extra population and culture would sure have come in handy. Plus the game keeps kicking me out today and right in the midst of the tourney. Then the update happens which is supposed to make the tourney easier but I. DON'T. FEEL. IT.

Last edited by a moderator:

edeba

Wow, I was lucky then as I managed to enter my next chapter as the Halloween event happened and I was looking at that thing being careful because I wanted the extra population and culture. I would be so choked if what happened today screwed that up. I am choked at losing a teammate over this. This upgrade so frustrated me, I went and totally stripped resources and bought KP with resources. I now need 2400 marble to buy a single KP...

I was working on granite mines and then the mandatory militaristic always-going-backwards Inno-way-or-the-highway mandate happens. Grrrr. A similar thing prevented me from entering the Dwarves chapter before the Halloween event ended. That extra population and culture would sure have come in handy. Plus the game keeps kicking me out today and right in the midst of the tourney. Then the update happens which is supposed to make the tourney easier but I. DON'T. FEEL. IT.

DeletedUser4778

@edeba: I blew 2 weeks' worth of goods but didn't make it because of the lack of a tourney and then the back research. One or the other would have been fine, not both. So I'm really ticked off at Elvenar especially since I always need population and culture.

P.S. I'm so sorry about the loss of your teammate.

edeba

If they'd have done a special on KP to go with this upgrade, I'd have just bought them to get past, but a good special, like 5-10 diamonds each. KP are so crazy expensive to buy, that would have been like $50 to get past the two stupid research things.

edeba

I used the tourney to get some KP as well, but my plan of using that to get the coal mine totally flopped. Oh well, now I need the time to get more resources because even if I could get the tech I want completed, I have nothing to work with...

DeletedUser4778

Same here. And I have learned to dread every update they release. :(

DeletedUser2886

Update again, and here I am again back in the always go backwards to go forward. Make them all mandatory or leave my research alone.

DeletedUser5226

Since the devs and designers themselves have stated that fighting will always be optional in Elvenar, then I believe it should also be the case that all military research and buildings are optional as well. Quests that ask to train troops would likewise need to be replaced with something else or at the very least give a non-military alternative.

Please give us this option to have a game that's completely focused on city building.

I agree wholeheartedly. An alternative of some sort would be workable I would think. We have the option of going human/elves at the beginning of the game, why not also have the option of battle/no battle. The battle option could be replaced with something like fog to clear off the world map in order to advance to other provinces to scout for random unknown ruins. That way there's still a challenge of sorts (since we wouldn't know what the ruins are until we've cleared the fog). Just a suggestion. I know I much prefer the city building part of the game and usually negotiate or cater unless I have to fight an encounter.

DeletedUser2191

Since others have already skewed this thread from the original subject, knowing the past history of updates for this game where tech gets added as optional, just back track and fill it knowing it's going to become mandatory. Half your headaches are solved that way.

I had a FS member talking about having to back track today as a result of Superior Training grounds being added because the previous 2 techs for this building stopped them from progressing further. Even though I told everyone to research it anyways after gaining knowledge from the forums about this tech research becoming mandatory from players on the live servers playing on the beta server.

As to the actual topic of this thread, opting out of military buildings especially the armories will bring you to a dead stop once you get to chapter 8 as the armories are needed for Orc production. If there is a possibility of gaining an Orc type troop in the future, since armories are making orcs already, they may just use them for making a possible Orc type troop.

DeletedUser4778

As to the actual topic of this thread, opting out of military buildings especially the armories will bring you to a dead stop once you get to chapter 8 as the armories are needed for Orc production. If there is a possibility of gaining an Orc type troop in the future, since armories are making orcs already, they may just use them for making a possible Orc type troop.

I've talked at length in another thread of how the space used up by armories could be better spent on resources-producing buildings in the time it takes people to get to orcs. I'm too lazy to look for my comments but, in short, one can always rebuild the army before entering orcs. In the months before such players hit orcs, they could generate hundreds of thousands of resources so I think that's a bigger benefit than having space fillers that eat up population and culture with very little ROI.

On another note, the US server is down and I have to collect goods, make visits, and do the tourney. EN server is working fine and I see in Platinum Leaf that I'm not the only one with this problem. All this kicking me out is seriously gonna affect my tourney performance.