• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Condense the spire from 48 to 12 encounters.

Katwick

Cartographer
diplomat.jpg

You Win Some, You Lose Some. Are you volunteering to be a Forum Moderator?

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Are you volunteering to be a Forum Moderator?

Why does somebody always make this lame comment?
It's like they think no one is allowed to have an opinion.

Bob: I don't like my son's doctor
Charlie: So are you going to go to medical school?

Oh and before someone brings up the ole, "They are doing this for free" argument.

That's what they agreed to. If you take a job do it right.

Katwick

Cartographer
Why does somebody always make this lame comment?
Which misses the point.

Grumbling because "the mods" zapped your cute little comment is much easier than TRYING to ensure that the forum remains focused, informative, and interesting.

I've moderated forums. When somebody isn't even TRYING to respond to well-intended comments, the thread can turn into an eye-goughing contest all too quickly.

Killing the messenger is an automatic fail in my book. Reformulate the commentary and get on with it.

Last edited:

free-spirit

Which misses the point.

Grumbling because because "the mods" zap your cute little comment is much easier than TRYING to ensure that the forum remains focused, informative, and interesting.

I've moderated forums. When somebody isn't even TRYING to respond to well-intended comments, the thread can turn into an eye-goughing contest all too quickly.

Killing the messenger is an automatic fail in my book. Reformulate the commentary and get on with it.
There's moderation to keep things smooth and overmoderation which stifles conversation and chases people away. We're quickly heading into overmoderation territory, which will kill the forum. Maybe a dead forum is the goal, less work that way.

defiantoneks

i won't speak to the "moderation vs overmoderation" topic BUT i will say that many of these threads tend to go off the rails in a bad way. and not just one humorous response, but way way off.

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
Don't skip the filters, avoid politics and personal attacks....and when the MOD notices your oh so clever(but not as subtle as you thought it was) jab...move on.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
BUT i will say that many of these threads tend to go off the rails in a bad way. and not just one humorous response, but way way off.

That is a point but it should depend on the thread.
Often when a thread devolves into recipes and making fun of Soggy's wardrobe, the thread had already run its course.
But if the original topic has not been resolved and somebody is going way off, then yes, the mods should get things back on track.

Last edited:

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
Like here and now, as we have gone way off-topic from this thread's intended path.

OK

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
i won't speak to the "moderation vs overmoderation" topic BUT i will say that many of these threads tend to go off the rails in a bad way. and not just one humorous response, but way way off.
I will. It's going to be a long time before I drop my grudge over moving a poem about elvenar from the Elvenar forums to the off topic forums. It has sucked all of the Elvenar-related creativity out of me and made me even more pugnacious than I usually am.

There's moderation to keep things smooth and overmoderation which stifles conversation and chases people away. We're quickly heading into overmoderation territory, which will kill the forum. Maybe a dead forum is the goal, less work that way.
See what you've done, mods. I have been forced to like a post by free-spirit, can Armageddon be far behind?