• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Confusing Words Explained

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Now, if we required enough Latin to grok et cetera, est id, etc., or German to get schadenfreude, uncertainty vs indeterminancy, etc, and Mandarin just because of China's industrial posture never mind geopolitics, we'd have to deal with a complementary issue of most humans never qualifying as competent adults. Plus, Hindi and Gujarti to make off color slurs at criminal scammer robocallers? What's that metaphor about a dog wearing boots as your mother and sister?

Benjamin Whorf and Edwin Sapir created the "linguistic relativity hypothesis" a long time ago. It argues that no language can express all thoughts available to the human mind but that, in fact, the language you speak limits the thoughts you can entertain. From this it would seem the more languages you know the wider your range of thought?

John Milton wrote in "Of Education" a suggest course of study for a well trained scholar. It included daily, a full ten hours of classroom instruction with the usual subjects of Latin, English, Greek, Hebrew, mathematics and all the rest. He laid out the hour by hour structure of the day and then added, as a bit of an after thought, that "one should, perhaps, study a little Italian and French" at the end of the day to round things out! I've been lucky enough to study a couple languages besides English and I can tell you, it's a lot of work and I take my hat off to anyone who has mastered a second language, let alone a third, fourth, and fifth. I have mastered to some degree, English and the other two are, well, passable, though probably barely.

AJ

Last edited:
Lol Yes and now they don't even teach "cursive" writing in schools! So well have millions of younger people who don't no English good, and can't read are riting!

That said, a big pet peeve of mine that I haven't seen mentioned, is everyday instead of every day! "Every day I spend an hour in my closet trying to choose an everyday outfit." Every day is telling you when I'm in the closet. Everyday is an adjective is denoting that the clothes I'm looking for are just ordinary clothes, in other words they aren't for business or any special occasion.

As someone mentioned on an earlier page, I too have been an editor and/or proofreader in almost all of the jobs I've had. I even had to make sure all of the formatting was correct sometimes. So it was *very hard to not see all the things I was well practiced in catching! Furthermore, I was a volunteer editor on foreign language subtitling teams for a while. I often mistook that some of the first level editors weren't native English speakers, because the subtitles were often very bad even after they had them. To this day, if I'm watching something with subtitles, I'm trying to correct the bad ones in my head , and then have to rewind, because I missed what was going on while I was in my head lol. And I'm aware that I used a lot of commas here, but I won't go back and fix that or any other mistakes because I'm tired.