• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Correct spelling of the word "manufactury"

satchmo33

Also - to be incredibly nit-picky (my FS call me "the word-nazi") (like the 'soup-nazi' in the TV show, "Friends") ... according to the OED, the correct spelling (in English) for manufactUry is, indeed, using a "U", not an "O". Yes there is the other word, factory, which means basically the same thing. BUT - you would say that you will "manufacture" something....not "manufactor".

Count Rupert

I don't know about the OED as I do not have ready access to it but the Merriam Webster Unabridged Dictionary has manufactory as a word and doesn't list maufactury as a word. Interestingly the forum's spell checker approves of the spelling as manufactory but flags manufactury. And even using the word manufactory you wouldn't use manufactor since manufactory is a plant consisting of one or more buildings with facilities for manufacturing. You would manufacture at a manufactory. It's use may be considered obsolete; doesn't mean they cannot still use it.

Lady Dastardly

As a lapsed English Lit grad student, I happen to own a (compact) copy of the OED (I know, I know, sorry I'm that person) and manufactory is absolutely in it as the preferred spelling of the word, with -tury listed as an alternate. The way it is used in the game, to mean factory, is listed as the 3rd definition. If you wanted to replace it with the English word in common usage it would be with factory, but I can't imagine anyone is remotely confused by the term manufactory.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Satchmo didn't read the foreign language and forum profile thread to know this place is overrun with wordsmiths and language scholars. She's going to bring all the etymologists and philologists out to the yard! But I'll admit, for the longest time, I also wondered why they chose Lampions instead of Lanterns. Given the circumstances though, there were many more issues I had with wintery themed light decorations than their word choice.

(challenge completed again @MaidenFair)

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
I sadly don't have access to the OED so I can't speak to that in particular but every other dictionary I've checked uses the 'o' spelling, as the Cambridge Dictionary shows. (Spoiler: this was a search for 'manufactury', which redirects one to 'manufactory' with no alternate spellings.)

I must admit to having to look up some of the words I've seen in the game. 'Lampion' was vaguely familiar but not familiar enough to be sure of, and I don't think I had ever seen 'faineant' before. It's interesting that a German game being translated into English produced some extremely archaic usages (about which I completely agree with @Iyapo1, it's part of the charm!).

(challenge completed again @MaidenFair)
Lol! Bonus points for surprise usage this time. ;)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Personally, I never use the word because I have so much confusion about how to spell it. I abbreviate with "mfr." There are a lot of words like "mfr" that look right both ways, and wrong both ways at the same time exactly because the shrinking world means you run into the "other" spellings more often and, for me it just becomes confusing. I'll last until all the English dialects are equally represented in my world and then I'll either be forced to abbreviate all words or shut up. LOL.

AJ

satchmo33

Friends...Seinfeld. Same thing. ;-D

Some of my personal favorites; alla, gimmee, waiddaminnit, etc. Use 'em alla time. Comes from growing up in Hawaii and talking Pidgin English, eh bruddah?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I prefer "MFG" as an abbreviation.

Ed

But there's no "G" in either manufactory or manufactury, is there? There's a "G" in ....uh.... manufacturing, but that's not a noun unless you are speaking of the industry as a whole or as something you are doing, as in "I am manufacturing," or "I am manufactoring." Maybe just saying "manu" would work, as suggested. "I have 3 steel manus?" Or "build only boosted manus?" Sounds weird, but okay to me. AND we get no spelling nazi's sneaking round waiting to ambush us if we use it.

What would the definition be? "manu noun abbreviation for ....uh oh, we are there again...."manufactory" or "manufactury.

I think I'll just stick to mfr.

AJ

StarLoad

But there's no "G" in either manufactory or manufactury, is there? There's a "G" in ....uh.... manufacturing, but that's not a noun unless you are speaking of the industry as a whole ...

AJ
If you are speaking of the buildings that manufacture your items, no matter the type, then you are speaking to or about them as a whole units of manufacturing buildings. As you stated "I have 3 steel manus" which means I have 3 steel manufacturing buildings or I have 3 steel manufactories. Personally AJ, I would assume you would prefer the longer statement:eek:..... J/K as it was said tongue-in-cheek.
Also " “Mfr.” is the abbreviation for “manufacturer” and “mfg.” is the abbreviation for “manufacturing, I was not able to find a common abbreviation for manufactory/manufatury so we can use either mfr or mfg.

Ed

Last edited: