• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cost of KPs

MirandaZink

I'm to the point where I am going to choose not to participate in events because of the requirement to buy KPs. I've been playing a few years now and participating in all of the events . . . I don't buy KPs for my own game play however these events have driven up the cost where it's not worth it.

1. Idea 1: Let it reset daily to a reasonable level just like the trader.
2. Idea 2: Add spells to reduce the level.
3. Idea 3: Add a boost to an existing Ancient Wonder that reduces the cost of KPs.
4. Idea 4: Stop making me have to buy KPs where that's the only choice. Make it an option either buy or earn KPs.

(KPs = Knowledge Points for anyone new to the game).
Thanks for your consideration.

MirandaZink

Because the cost goes up and up - and I've been buying them too for 3 years, some here and there but never at the rate the quests require. I'd rather go fight/win provinces and play in tournaments to earn points that way. Everyone has a different way of playing so just because you don't mind buying KPs others may not. I don't. And I've given some alternative ideas to solve it versus just whining about it . . .

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
the cost goes up and up
As does your income.
I'd rather go fight/win provinces and play in tournaments to earn points that way.
An option that is there for other quest types.
Everyone has a different way of playing so just because you don't mind buying KPs others may
It's not a question of style, it's a matter of cost vs reward, and I (and apparently the developers) think it's decent.
I've given some alternative ideas to solve it versus just whining about it . . .
Alternatives that I feel* aren't needed since the costs are quite reasonable and the quests are pretty fair across various levels of play and progression. Also since KP is almost always useful, it is one of the few quest types that actually reward you for improving your city. (unlike build 4 buildings to level 7 and immediately sell them)

*You're welcome to feel differently of course, since this quest type doesn't actually stop anyone we're really just talking about whether it's fair, and that's pretty subjective.

MirandaZink

I thought this was a forum meaning a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects . . . so if you and the developers have already made up your minds and if someone disagrees with that then why bother having the illusion of a forum? Just call it "too friggin bad if you don't agree with us" or just shut it down. What's the point?

Lastly when quests say BUY KPS and that is the only choice (versus other quests that say "upgrade a building or scout a province" as an example) then if you chose not to buy KPs your at a standstill with the events - you are stopped. Period. So that comment is false.

So no Soggy I don't agree with you. My opinion is that there should be a choice in events to either purchase KPs or do "something" else. It's not a matter of having coins. I'm dumping millions in the trader every day to get rid of them. My opinion (hence "forum" discussion) is there should be options.

SoggyShorts

@MirandaZink
There ARE options, you can buy KP with coins, t1 goods, t2 goods, and t3 goods. Even Diamonds if you wish.

We are discussing 2 subjects here:
1. The rising cost of KP (which I say is negligible and can be completely ignored)
2. The quests asking you to buy KP (which I say are super easy for players at any level and therefore shouldn't be dumbed down)

As I said, you are obviously free to feel differently, but I don't see a strong argument on your side other than "But I don't wanna!"
Lastly when quests say BUY KPS and that is the only choice (versus other quests that say "upgrade a building or scout a province" as an example) then if you chose not to buy KPs your at a standstill with the events - you are stopped. Period. So that comment is false.
You misunderstand. Your suggestion to allow players to "earn KP" instead of buying would make too many quests identical.
"Gain 4 relics" poof, use the tournament
"Gain 4 KP" poof, use the tournament"
"Solve 4 encounters" poof, use the tournament

Buy KP requires you to do something different, and IMO that is a good thing.

Last edited:

MirandaZink

@MirandaZink
There ARE options, you can buy KP with coins, t1 goods, t2 goods, and t3 goods. Even Diamonds if you wish.

We are discussing 2 subjects here:
1. The rising cost of KP (which I say is negligible and can be completely ignored)
2. The quests asking you to buy KP (which I say are super easy for players at any level and therefore shouldn't be dumbed down)

As I said, you are obviously free to feel differently, but I don't see a strong argument on your side other than "But I don't wanna!"

You misunderstand. Your suggestion to allow players to "earn KP" instead of buying would make too many quests identical.
"Gain 4 relics" poof, use the tournament
"Gain 4 KP" poof, use the tournament"
"Solve 4 encounters" poof, use the tournament

Buy KP requires you to do something different, and IMO that is a good thing.

The subject is rising cost of KPs and the Tournaments giving you ONE FRIGGIN option to "only buy" KPs. Not earn them, not fight for them, not sit around to magically wait for them to appear. Then why are other quests "upgrade to level X or scout a province" or "research 1 technology or upgrade to level X". I didn't say I don't buy KPs. What I said was I do not like the events giving you only 1 option, buy them or your days of participating in the event is over. Teaching new peeps to buy KPs is fine but for me they are at 875K a pop.

This proves my point once again that if someone doesn't agree with you then you slam them. Why not change the name from "forum" to "my way or the highway" and let's stop pretending anyone really cares about new ideas and improvements. How bout just once open your mind to someone else's opinions? Dude you're a smart guy and I like your posts most of the time but when you make a decision before hearing someone out frankly it's really a shame because you're the one who gets to pick and chose what to say to the developers - feels like a dictatorship versus a forum . . .

SoggyShorts

Then why are other quests "upgrade to level X or scout a province" or "research 1 technology or upgrade to level X"
Those quests have alternatives because we pointed out to developers that they were impossible for players in some chapters to complete. Impossible. Like a chapter 5 player upgrading to level 17 or higher, or a player who has researched all techs needing to research a tech.
The other reason for options is to balance between chapters. Late game scouts take 3 days compared to early scouts that take a couple hours. To offset this an advanced player can upgrade to level 14 instead which takes a few hours.
KP is already balanced between chapters because the costs go up more or less in line with your income.

EDIT: The 3rd reason is to simply make it easier like including the tournament in "solve x" quests. Personally, I don't love those as I feel the events are easy enough as is. This is completely biased as I am obviously a more than casual player who wants a greater challenge, not a lesser one.
This proves my point once again that if someone doesn't agree with you then you slam them.
I don't think I was overly personal, I thought I was disagreeing with your points and position, not making it personal-- if I did I apologize.
t's really a shame because you're the one who gets to pick and chose what to say to the developers
... I think you think I have powers that I don't have. The only times I've "spoken" to the devs is during the live Q&A when I've spammed a couple of questions on facebook until they answered (just like anyone can)

Last edited:

MirandaZink

Soggy, first off, I am very sorry too. This is a game and sometimes I forget that. But I think there is a glimmer of hope in our opinions because you said those options happened because for some folks they were impossible. I have a friend who is now at 1.5 million coins per KP and she has decided to do the events until that point which makes me sad. Is it impossible for her, no but it sure as hell is ridiculously expensive at this point. I'm all about choices. Maybe the developers should look at active players + cost of KPs and maybe they will find it in their little hearts to provide options in the events.

And maybe they should give you the power ;-)

SoggyShorts

I have a friend who is now at 1.5 million coins per KP and she has decided to do the events until that point which makes me sad. Is it impossible for her, no but it sure as hell is ridiculously expensive at this point.
My KP cost is over 1.5m and @Deborah M has a KP cost of 3.2m per iirc and the quests don't seem to bother her. I do understand how it can feel very expensive, and I'm not saying that feeling is wrong, but perhaps that friend of yours can have a look at their city in the EA and see just how many coins she is making per day, and she'll feel better knowing that spending millions of coins on KP is actually pretty cheap since excess coins don't really have much value other than for buying KP.
I'm all about choices.
I can certainly agree with this sentiment, and I'm sure there are posts where I've held this position myself. Where I'm reluctant is when I feel that a part of the game is already well balanced between effort and reward, and we are already at a point where having 100 quests means repeating the same actions 5x.

This is why I didn't love being allowed to use the tournament for "solve x encounters" quests. Most players seemed thrilled with it, but to me, Choices make things easier, Variety makes it more interesting. Which is more important? I dunno, but I have a personal preference:)
And maybe they should give you the power ;-)
Now that is crazy talk.;)

Last edited:

Palavyn

I think a good compromise would be to have everyone's KP cost go down a small amount (maybe 50 gold) every day.

SoggyShorts

I think a good compromise would be to have everyone's KP cost go down a small amount (maybe 50 gold) every day.
My KP cost is 1,500,000 each, and it's still an awesome deal. I'd buy KP at double the price and consider it coins well spent. Triple even.
50 coins per day would be rather meaningless;)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If you are advancing through the tech tree at a decent pace, your kp cost as a fraction of your ability to earn kp goes down by way more than 50 gold per day on average.

Visiting all of my neighbours and harvesting my residences, if I did nothing else but buy KP:
When I started Fairies I was producing 3.8 million coins a day and that got me 8 kp a day
Now I'm nearly finished S&D, and am producing 16 million coins a day which gets 10kp a day

(I'm way behind Soggy, but have spent a lot of time advancing wonders instead of my city, so my KP costs are almost identical to his)

Mykan

Oh Wise One
If I am not mistaken there are alternatives to buy kp for certain quests. Granted I am pretty sure that the buy KP is the alternative option. One of my towns I have played for years and do the event quests as often as I can and buy kp even on the optional quests. My KP costs in amuni are only around 500k per KP and that cause I started putting more gold into kp, was under 400k prior to christmas.

While I may have missed the odd quest in that time I seriously doubt a person who only buys kp for those quests and at no other time would have any issue at all with this quests. To have a cost of over 1mil per kp you are buying a lot of kp outside of those quests. That's fine but you will surely know by the timme you reach that cost about the quests and can make a choice on how you spend the excess coins. Not to mention there are alternative ways other than coins to buy kp.

bkbajb

My KP cost is 1,500,000 each, and it's still an awesome deal. I'd buy KP at double the price and consider it coins well spent. Triple even.
50 coins per day would be rather meaningless;)

I am currently at 750k per KP. So while it might not be as high as others I do understand. But what I have done and am doing during the carnival is saving my coin rain instants. It helps with the cost of KP and costs me nothing. There are options if you want them