• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Creating more troops than you will ever need...

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
What are the tips for making sure you have squads and squads of troops for all the battles?
I don't have the best tips here except for try to craft the Brown Bear when you get enough stuff to do it and then work on saving stuff to craft the artifacts to level it up. It's pet feeding boosts your troop production. I use it a lot even at a level 1 it is helping tons. I'm always producing troops 24/7 it never stops. Some higher up players might have much better suggestions.

Moho

Chef
armories.png
barracks.png

Bear.png

Smooper

@Yavimaya
I don't have the best tips here except for try to craft the Brown Bear when you get enough stuff to do it and then work on saving stuff to craft the artifacts to level it up. It's pet feeding boosts your troop production. I use it a lot even at a level 1 it is helping tons. I'm always producing troops 24/7 it never stops. Some higher up players might have much better suggestions.
I have a level 10 Brown Bear and I learned that a fulling training queue in your barracks etc that is ready to collect is important. Once you have this just feed the Bear and collect your troops and continue training until the food runs out. The accompanying question here is how to make sure you have enough food for my 2 bears and the fire phoenix?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Once you have this just feed the Bear and collect your troops and continue training until the food runs out.
No, passively collecting after feeding a Brown Bear is not how to get the most out of your Pet Food. You pair a Brown Bear feed with supply windfalls and a ton of timers. You'd also want to make the training stack as big as possible before the feed because at lvl 10, it's +50% bonus of the stack. So the bigger the stack, the more free troops. I like to build a bunch of temp lvl 4 armories (powered by Shrewdy multiplier) all over the place to hyperinflate my stack size before a Brownie feed and then sell them all after the feed is done. Since you are using time instants, it doesn't matter that it'll take 10hrs to create one stack or whatever. I'm not passively waiting it out. It's get blown through with a bunch of 5hr time instants and paid with supply windfalls (both easily to acquired from Spire). Then you'd only need to feed the Brown Bear once every few weeks instead of every week. (check out Brown Bear section of my fighting tutorial)

Raccon

Remember, all these troop production boosts increase your city's supply demand. So you need to increase your supply output accordingly . Therefore, having enough up to date workshops and the prosperity tower AW (that increases your power of provision time) as well as accumulating as many as possible supply windfall spells will keep your troop production going ;)

StarLoad

What are the tips for making sure you have squads and squads of troops for all the battles?
One tip often overlooked is when you should be sending troops off to battle, I tell members of my FS and all the prior ones the same advice.
Cater to your heart's content up to CH 8 after that you need to start fighting. This is because until around chapter 8 your troops are just fodder for the enemy troops, Yes you can boost your weak troops to do better, but I say save all your troops, make them 24/7, and your boosts until you are capable of fighting effectively. If you want to fight use the first 8 Tourney provinces, unboosted, and up to the second or third gate on the Spire as a practice to learn the ways of fighting. I personally cater the low easy provinces and fight the rest of the way to a normal 30 provinces.

Others may disagree but we all have our own path in life.

Ed

Lady Dastardly

@Smooper You’ll need to craft all the bases you see in the MA to take them out of rotation so they’ll be less stuff for the MA to choose from.
@Maeryn Is that to get the most pet food offers as possible?

This is good advice to ensure you the best odds of the temp booster buildings showing up since they share a slot, but does not have any effect on pet food odds because pet food only appears in the slot with relics & artifacts.

Gkyr

Chef
@Smooper , lets look a little more closely at your question and see if we can come up with some more answers for you, in addition to the intel that has already been offered to you.

Your question implies that you want to operate with a generous supply of troops, from which I am going to infer that you would like to be free to overpower your opponents through sheer force of numbers.

This can work, but it will take some doing. Now, Brown Bear was mentioned, as well as Barracks and Armories. The AW Needles was mentioned and the other squad-producing AWs (Dwarven Bulwark, Heroes Forge, Flying Academy, Temple of the Toads and Pyramid of Putrification) were implied. Also mentioned were supplies (ie, Workshops) and craftings: the expiring 'buff buildings' and pet food.

All of this is going to take Resource Management, good Resource Management (gRM). Mostly, gRM consists of looking ahead and anticipating what the next important demand on your resources will be. You have only a limited number of tiles (more on that later). Looking ahead in your current chapter and the next chapter is important. Read about these in elvengems.com and also refer to sites by Minmaxgame as appropriate. Make sure you have enough Workshops producing supplies and manus producing goods. Don't waste tiles by siting vanity event buildings that are inefficient. Learn (ask) which ones are worth their footprint. Avoid a shortage of any resource that will cause you to become tech-locked in the tech tree. It happens eventually but avoid it for as long as you can. The buildings mentioned in the last paragraph all need to be kept upgraded as high as possible in order to deliver a good supply of troops. You will need to efficiently produce population and supplies and goods in order to climb the Spire to get time boosts, fragments, combining catalysts and Teleport spells. If you really want to delve into the math of good manufactory output, you can refer to Maidenfair's masterly analysis.

Message successful army cities for their advice. It will go a lot easier on you if you temper your supply-side ambitions with army "loss-mitigation": know which battles to avoid and cater and know how to minimize troop losses. Manual fighting is the best troop retention technique but it sounds as if you want to blitz the opponent, ie Auto-fight. In any case you may want to refer to Crackie's masterful Guide to Fighting. I see that you have already visited that forum discussion, so you are on the right track in that regard. Some battle experts to follow (at the risk of not mentioning a dozen more worth following) are Mykan, @samidodamage , @Darielle , @Henroo , @Enevhar Aldarion .

IMHO, you will benefit in your replacement costs if you keep your costs down by not having unnecessary AWs and by not having unnecessary expansions; both make Spire and Tourney battles more expensive. For this, you may refer to a derivative discussion or the original offering.

Last edited:

Myne

Oh Wise One
@Smooper , lets look a little more closely at your question and see if we can come up with some more answers for you, in addition to the intel that has already been offered to you.

Your question implies that you want to operate with a generous supply of troops, from which I am going to infer that you would like to be free to overpower your opponents through sheer force of numbers.

This can work, but it will take some doing. Now, Brown Bear was mentioned, as well as Barracks and Armories. The AW Needles was mentioned and the other squad-producing AWs (Dwarven Bulwark, Heroes Forge, Flying Academy, Temple of the Toads and Pyramid of Putrification) were implied. Also mentioned were supplies (IE, Workshops) and craftings: the expiring 'buff buildings' and pet food.

All of this is going to take Resource Management, good Resource Management (gRM). Mostly, gRM consists of looking ahead and anticipating what the next important demand on your resources will be. You have only a limited number of tiles (more on that later). Looking ahead in your current chapter and the next chapter is important. Read about these in elvengems.com and also refer to sites by Minmaxgame as appropriate. Make sure you have enough Workshops producing supplies and manus producing goods. Don't waste tiles by siting vanity event buildings that are inefficient. Learn (ask) which ones are worth their footprint. Avoid a shortage of any resource that will cause you to become tech-locked in the tech tree. It happens eventually but avoid it for as long as you can. The buildings mentioned in the last paragraph all need to be kept upgraded as high as possible in order to deliver a good supply of troops. You will need to efficiently produce population and supplies and goods in order to climb the Spire to get time boosts, fragments, combining catalysts and Teleport spells. If you really want to delve into the math of good manufactory output, you can refer to Maidenfair's masterly analysis.

Message successful army cities for their advice. It will go a lot easier on you if you temper your supply-side ambitions with army "loss-mitigation": know which battles to avoid and cater and know how to minimize troop losses. Manual fighting is the best troop retention technique but it sound as if you want to blitz the opponent, ie Auto-fight. In any case you may want to refer to Crackie's masterful Guide to Fighting. I see that you have already visited that forum discussion, so you are on the right track in that regard. Some battle experts to follow (at the risk of not mentioning a dozen more worth following) are Mykan, @samidodamage , @Darielle , @Henroo , @Enevhar Aldarion .

IMHO, you will benefit in your replacement costs if you keep your costs down by not having unnecessary AWs and by not having unnecessary expansions; both make Spire and Tourney battles more expensive.
TRUTH
I would add to also be aware of your main hall, that influences things too. You may not NEED to upgrade it every chapter.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Do you have a fully evolved, stage 10 Fire Phoenix? If you do have 1 then the single most important tip I can give is to make sure it is fed before every important battle. Feeding a stage 10 Fire Phoenix is like turning on a cheat code for combat. If you do not have a stage 10 Fire Phoenix yet then my main tip would be to get one. It is literally the most powerful building in the game for a combat oriented player. The base of the building will appear in the magic academy and the artifacts to evolve it will also appear. The artifacts are rather expensive to craft. But they will be worth it. If I were starting a brand new city, I would spend every diamond and every blueprint I won crafting Phoenix Artifacts until I had a fully evolved Fire Phoenx.

Smooper

@Henroo I have the Fire Phoenix and Brown Bear at level 10. I have always been a loss mitigation type player but I want to fight even more encounters so losses are going to go up and I want my recruitment to outpace the losses.

edit: This all stems from the discussion I had about boost buildings and the fact that I place too many (apparently). I do this because I am trying to one-shot everything because the videos I watched when I learned how to play this game made that the goal. Then I learned losses are part of the spire and tourney so you just need to be able to replace those losses in time for the next event. Always learning something new in this game.

edit 2: I believe the videos were by Qybyrn and Nomar

Last edited:

StarLoad

Then I learned losses are part of the spire and tourney so you just need to be able to replace those losses in time for the next event.
To expand on that idea for you, there are losses and there are LOSSES, If I lose 2 for squads out of the 5 I send and its province 15 and the same happens at province 50 to amount of actual troop loss is vastly different. In addition, the type of troop is important so if the 2 squads I lose are LM troops I wont sweat it in either case but if they are my Blossom Princess I will feel the pain.
I do this because I am trying to one-shot everything

However, there are battles that I have won at provinces 50+ with just the Blossom mages and had Zero losses, but that is with proper boosts applied. That takes time and experience and a properly set up city for fighting.

Ed

Smooper

I loaded up my 3 troop producing buildings, put spells on my workshops and built 6 - lvl 4 armories to go with my permanent ones and was planning to feed my brown bear this morning and collect the troops except... I can't keep my hands off finished productions much like the old FA days. So i realized that wasn't going to work. So i loaded them up and fed the bear and then time instants, lots of them, and some supply instants. I can see that time instants are going to be the weak link in this plan but for now my hoard is doing its job. I have gained about 20 squads of some of the most important things.

Now a question or two: Should I always try to recruit all the things even if I don't use them in battle? I make drone rides but don't really use them. I also make blossom mages but since they are only lvl 1, I am only hoarding them and don't use them much. I use my doggies quite often and the dryads are a good crossbowmen and decoy unit for certain times but I never use Miss Wet Hair but I still make some of here anticipating a day she may be useful. I have never made the orc generals and strategists, just gotten the free ones from various buildings and I never use them. They are all just level 1 anyway. I tend to use the lvl3 troops who have the spell effects.

That was a long way to go just to ask about recruiting those troops. I feel my time instant hoard will run out even if I top the spire weekly but we will see. Topping the spire is something I did a few times but now feel I want to try for it at least once a month if not more often. Will my time instants keep up with this brown bear feeding day if I do it every week? every 2 weeks?

StarLoad

Smooper, it is hard to say with the bear how long your supply of instants will last. I will say that you should make the troops you will use and just gain the free troops for the rest if you can.

What chapter are you in?

Ed

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
can see that time instants are going to be the weak link in this plan but for now my hoard is doing its job.
You get a ton of 5hr ones from Spire for group rewards as well as individual chests. A Gold Spire obviously nets you the most. I don’t know the numbers off the top of my head, but I think it’s over 30. Spire gives a lot of supply windfalls too for Brown Bear needs. Ideally then, you want your training queues to be past 5hr to use them. When I feed Brownie, I try to hyperinflate my queue to be over 15hrs with temp armories, which lets me use 8 and 14-hr instants too.

Even if you use diamonds to clear catering in Spire (I would generally only use them on gate bosses, but I fight Lab now), if everyone in the FS understand the importance of Spire and climb, you will still come out each week in the net positive on diamonds. Silver gets your group 125 diamonds if they clear two sections, which is very manageable without needing to spend diamonds, and 250 if you are a Gold Spire team and players clear the whole thing. So just spend less than 125 or 250 diamonds to clear it. It’s 25 diamonds to clear an encounter if you use it strategically. 250 diamonds is 10 encounters! You likely do not need to use diamonds on 10 encounters or you are doing something wrong. Sometimes you win diamonds in the individual chests too, which sweetens the pot even more.
Should I always try to recruit all the things even if I don't use them in battle? I make drone rides but don't really use them. I also make blossom mages but since they are only lvl 1, I am only hoarding them and don't use them much.
No. I don’t train Bud Sorceress, Banshees, Drone Riders, Sword Dancers, and am starting to phase out Treants. I use Bud Sorceress, Banshees, and Treants, but I am getting them from buildings or wonders. The others I use in map provinces bc my maps are all very easy and it doesn’t matter what I pick. Anything I throw at it will clear the encounter so I march the garbage units in. I have now unlocked 3* Drone Riders, but still find them incredibly subpar. They are still prone to obstacles and are magnets to enemy fire like Archers. They have a “reach” problem and high turnover rate because everyone likes to gang up on them. That’s too poor of an ROI for me. Def not the favorable ROI the Spire gives.

Blossoms and Orc Strats are actually pretty good at level 1. Orc Strats at level 1 are still really good as light range killers. Blossom’s long range means if you handle the enemy well enough to kill them before they reach your back line, you don’t have to replace her as often. Her specialty is against Heavyweight range, which means they definitely can’t reach her in time.