• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cross trading

Iyapo1

I have tracked my spire costs across tiers and I generally fall at a 3:2:2, T1:T2:T3 but I have deliberately skewed that ratio just by altering my initial goods selection when negotiating each encounter. So, in my experience, the balance between tiers can be shifted by the player to some extent.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
As I see more and more cross-tier trades I keep wondering what happened to a big factor in growing cities has always been adjusting what number of which factories players need in their cities to support their needs including trading in the same tier. It seems to me that there has been a trend to just be lazy about balancing cities. I find that sad since it is such an intrigal part of the challenge in Elvenar :( FYI, I do not post or take cross-tier trades. If I could get all the way through available chapters not posting cross-tier trades I really don't see any reason to encourage said laziness.

Before it gets justified again by the imbalance created by the Library sets, that has been fixed plenty long enough for scroll boosted to be caught up. I did pick up a lot of those when the unfair disadvantage existed.

Bellerefon

It has been a great upgrade when cross nerfed from 1:2:4 to 1:1.5:2.25. It made everything more balanced and fair.
And besides the great job some guys are doing in analysis (@SoggyShorts , @Iyapo1 ) it will always be a debatable factor.

It is a factor based on cost to build, production/tile (space), chapter upkeep, events demands. In the same time this factor is affected by enchantments, AWs, sets and other city buildings. Totally subjective.

I'm in favor of boosted balanced city. I keep 3:2:2 T1/T2/T3 and 1:2:2 S1/S2/S3 and everything works just fine. I do not need to cross normally, only should i need something urgent and temp then i cross, either ways.

Last edited:

LisaMV

The issue for me, even while accepting Inno's 2-star rating of fairness in all cross-tier trades, is the balance of goods within each Tier. More and more, to a frightening extent now, ALL I see in my traders (4 cities) is "gimme gimme gimme T1 & T2, but I will only offer T3".

What is this doing for the whole balance of the game, even more so if it continues unabated?

I am a non-fighter, and as a 100% caterer in 13-15 chest & gold spire Fellowships, I can watch the goods supply/demand go up or down very clearly.
The updates change things substantially over time. Ever since Inno's response to the Moonstone Debacle, my T2s have been lowest in every city, in spite of my quickly adding another T2 factory, and having two constantly enchanted. In their effort to balance things toward the earlier chapter players, I have also seen a huge increase in T1 demands, and have put more of those in as well.

I think both these changes were sorely needed, and a good thing. Unfortunately, the result is that everyone seems to have tons of T3's, and now rely too heavily on those to trade for the others.

I have always adjusted my cities rather quickly as a caterer, but yes - many people do not bother since they perhaps cannot see the trend as quickly as I can = every friday afternoon:
"omg! Where did all my planks go! what!!?! am I back in chapter THREE now?!":eek:
Sure makes one a quick learner.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The issue for me, even while accepting Inno's 2-star rating of fairness in all cross-tier trades, is the balance of goods within each Tier. More and more, to a frightening extent now, ALL I see in my traders (4 cities) is "gimme gimme gimme T1 & T2, but I will only offer T3".

Tier 3 factories give more ranking points than tier 1 or 2 of the same level, so you will find a lot of older, big cities with only tier 3 factories for normal goods. So that has been a problem for years and not just since the recent changes.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Tier 3 factories give more ranking points than tier 1 or 2 of the same level, so you will find a lot of older, big cities with only tier 3 factories for normal goods. So that has been a problem for years and not just since the recent changes.

I haven’t seen this on Elcy. If that is the trend on other worlds I think that stinks. I do remember somebody doing that a few years ago but they were called on it and were pretty much boycotted. It is really hard to post a list of 100,000 T3 trades when none of the other high ranking players will pick them up ;) Problem solved.

Nerwa

I've been tracking end-of-the-week goods quantities since the beginning of October 2021. Like @LisaMV , weekly monitoring means seeing shifts happening early on. Add extras of this, upgrade that, store something else - it's just how the game goes.

The current T3 surplus is doubling down on the various T3-producing daily prizes I'm getting here in ch 7; so, sure, I'm grumbling & sighing a bit. But mostly that's because I don't want to make any major shifts until after the FA or additional upgrades until next event. Patience, I tell myself. Patience. *grumble* *sigh*

I lean more towards fighting, but still cater quite a bit. Plus, I'm a stock-piler by nature. Resource management is part of the fun of the game.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Agreed ladies, tier2 is a serious issue, I suspect that my stored Scroll factories will be appearing soon. That is on top of the fact that I am actually producing scrolls with the ones I was keeping around for good quests.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
As I see more and more cross-tier trades I keep wondering what happened to a big factor in growing cities has always been adjusting what number of which factories players need in their cities to support their needs including trading in the same tier. It seems to me that there has been a trend to just be lazy about balancing cities. I find that sad since it is such an intrigal part of the challenge in Elvenar :( FYI, I do not post or take cross-tier trades. If I could get all the way through available chapters not posting cross-tier trades I really don't see any reason to encourage said laziness.
(Emphasis added)

How is it know that the players who are doing cross-tier trades are only doing them because they are lazy? Did anybody that you know take a survey? Did a bunch of them come to the forum and post "I'm just being lazy, that's why I'm doing cross tier trades?" I think not for either method. This does not mean you are wrong, but it does mean you may have kept back or not have any evidence to support your claim of their motivation.

In the end guessing motives for actions is tricky business. Some of them could be producing T3 exclusively for their fs. Some of them for, as mentioned above, more ranking points, some because the like the looks of the T3 buildings or those buildings fit into the color scheme of their city. In any case, assigning a motive, especially a negative ones like "laziness," is a moral judgement of the player. And while I appreciate your forum participation, expressing unfounded claims about the motives of another player is probably not helpful to the discussion.

What is this doing for the whole balance of the game, even more so if it continues unabated?
(Emphasis added)

Again, "gimme gimme gimme" is a moral judgement of the person. There are, as explained above, many reasons a person may post this or that trade, and "gimme, gimme, gimme" may be one of them, but who cares what the motive might be if you don't have to take the trade?

In addition, I agree that balancing the amount of goods is important. There are two ways to accomplish this. First, Inno can attempt to do so by regulating the production and costs for good and respond by constantly tweaking the system, shifting the amount produced by each building, giving out more in events, or less in events, adding more players producing one good or another, and so on. But, no matter what they do, it takes weeks and weeks for the effects of the tweak to have an effect once they notice the fluctuation. Even the scrolls problem took several weeks to become a problem and the solution several more weeks and even months. So, while it can be done, it's not a "rapid response" option and imbalances will still occur. In fact, it may develop into a case of chasing a solution for the last shortage even as the system has already adjusted to it, and in the process causing more fluctuations then would have occured if nothing had been done.

The second way to deal with shortages would be to let the value of each good to be set by the individual players. This is the route they've built into the game (though the top and the bottom of the range are set at 8:1 and the wholesale price, so it's not entirely a "free market"). Now when there's a shortage some players produce the goods in shortage. I'm one. I produce only T1 and T2 since, in my world, there's an overabundance of T3. I could then sell my T1 and T2 at 0 or 1 stars and make a good profit, but I don't, not because, on paper they are worth more than T3, but because their value, for me, includes the satisfaction I get from helping other players by selling them below what I could get for them.

. On the other hand, I do take the 3 star trades people put up for my T1 and T2. So I do profit, but only because somebody has deemed the value of the T1 or T2 they need in comparison to the T3 they produce at higher than the 2 stars. Again, it's their valuation, not mine or Inno's. I then, because the act of giving, to me, also has value, post all my trades at 3 stars and other's profit. Overall, with taking 3 star trades and posting 3 star I appear to lose a small amount -- but since I get that satisfaction, it's all "fair" to me.

So In the end you can wait for Inno to balance things or adjust your production to match the production of your neighborhood/fellowship. If you pay attention the shortages are seldom that bad. Yes, there might be players who take advantage of you, as you may feel, but if you take a trade, and it's not a miss-click, you choose to take it and by doing so said, "I don't like that this is costing me so much, but it's worth it for the purposes for which I am now buying it." In other words, all things being equal, you made the trade because it was worth what you paid for it, voluntarily.

Now, I've explained all this before, of course. And as I have watched, the player base seems to be moving in the direction of relatively free markets, mostly because the fluctuations they experience force them to do so. Now if could just get people to refrain from making moral judgements of the ones making trades they don't like and wouldn't make, I'd be a happy camper.

AJ

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@ajqtrz You don’t have to agree but I stand by what I said. I’m a couple of days from finishing chapter 19 and am ranked #2 on Elcy. I have never had to post cross-tier trades and I definitely never had to load my city up with just T3 to achieve #1 recently and now #2. For over 6 years now part of the game is about balancing goods production. So I do absolutely find it lazy to suck off of others on an ongoing basis. I have no problem with temporary circumstances that necessitate cross-tier trades. If I and many, many others have made it for years doing same tier trades then anybody can do it.

Killy-

So I do absolutely find it lazy to suck off of others on an ongoing basis. I have no problem with temporary circumstances that necessitate cross-tier trades. If I and many, many others have made it for years doing same tier trades then anybody can do it.

How do you suck off others? The only thing you can do is posting offers. If someone takes the cross-tier trade, than that person ist happy with this trade and nothing is wrong with that. Nobody is forced to have a balanced production. If there is a overall shortage of t1 goods in your world you could only produce t1 and cross-tier trade and you would be perfectly fine. It might be more simple to have a balanced production but it isn't necessary at all.

BrinDarby

The Forbidden Ruins set exasterbated the T3 overproduction, just as
P.Manor dried up alot of need ( not all ) of T1 globally.

When you look @ Event building's progressions.... there are a few...

Supplies/T1/T2/T3/Mana and/or Seeds
Supplies/T1/T2/T3/S1

1st off speed of progression says "most" ppl will slow down the
higher they go.... so they stay in the T3 phase longer than T2/T1.
If you then have to wait to hit S1, its gonna be a few xtra chapters.
Therefore as ppl are earning new bldgs and upgrading, they end
up with more bldgs that make xtra T3 for a longer period of time.

2nd , too many ppl think .... ohh well for the space, I'll just make T3
then trade for T2/T1 , but the bulk of the T1/T2 producers globally
are ppl with very very ltd "discovered neighbors" that can't accept
most of these cross-tier offers. ( or pay +50% , which screws with
the whole 1:1 scheme ) and anyone below CH5 really has 0 use for T3.

Last off, with Sets that never progress and give 1 tier always, it allows
larger cities to make enough Basic goods, so they can concentrate
manufacturing on Sentient/Ascended goods.....
Its no wonder that T3 is in less demand, Gems are the new scrolls (useless).

Players like Soggy, Crazy Wiz, Enehvar pounded into my brain, during
all the endless trade debates, the necessity of having a balanced city.
I have never manufactured T3 ( CH4 player ) and have always been able
to supply my FS with my T3 boost (elixer), yes I have research for T3 done.

The second way to deal with shortages would be to let the value of each good to be set by the individual players. This is the route they've built into the game (though the top and the bottom of the range are set at 8:1 and the wholesale price, so it's not entirely a "free market").
This is completely foreign here due to the absurd FS rules on Trade.....
If players are not allowed to vary offers due to supply/demand pressures,
then the main mechanizm the game has to balance goods globally , fails.
And if too many players see these offers as "bad", any attempt to balance
goods globally will also Fail....

Iyapo1

Its no wonder that T3 is in less demand, Gems are the new scrolls (useless).
I have not noticed that gems are unwanted....I have noticed T3 cross down trades are unwanted and rotting in the trader which is not the same thing. All same tier trades are being picked up pretty quickly except trades asking for steel and scrolls(Harander) but even those move faster than the T3 down trades.

Can anyone post a screenshot of a trader showing pages of same tier gem trades rotting?

Last edited:

ajqtrz

@ajqtrz You don’t have to agree but I stand by what I said. I’m a couple of days from finishing chapter 19 and am ranked #2 on Elcy. I have never had to post cross-tier trades and I definitely never had to load my city up with just T3 to achieve #1 recently and now #2. For over 6 years now part of the game is about balancing goods production. So I do absolutely find it lazy to suck off of others on an ongoing basis. I have no problem with temporary circumstances that necessitate cross-tier trades. If I and many, many others have made it for years doing same tier trades then anybody can do it.

This is interesting since in my response to you I didn't object to your claim that cross tier trades should be done, but your claiming they were just "laziness" on the part of the ones making them. I asked you how you knew that, not why you thought cross tier trades are bad. Cross tier trades are not "lazy", people are. So you attached a motive to the cross tier traders and that reflects on them negatively as moral agents. As I have pointed out many times, guessing motives and using them to denigrate another player is probably not useful or wise, though, of course, I could be wrong about that.

And now I'll tell you why cross tier trades are NOT bad. They make the flow of goods easier. Instead of two goods for which you can trade, you now have 8. 8 things for which you can trade means you don't have to just have the two...and that is why we have an overabundance of T3 at this time. Since it's been a relatively short time since the changes in the game and/or changes in peoples attitudes about cross tier trading have occurred, we are, in my opinion, seeing an adjustment to the new market conditions. In that process there are bound to be learning curves and fluctuations. Eventually people will see the shortages of T2 and re-think (as you have in mentioning your putting out your scrolls mfrs, which I did a month ago), their need/wants and how to meet them. Part of that strategy will be to post 0 and 1 star trades, part will be putting out T2 mfrs and who knows what other things some will try. But it will occur.

Finally, I agree that, in the past, this or that thing may have worked, and been good for the game. But things change and why should I do something that means more work for me? If I thought that way I'd do away with trading altogether and build all the mfrs I could of all the types I could to supply myself with my non-boosted. And, probably, at the very beginning, some people did that before enough players realized the structure of the game encourages you be "lazy" and build only your boosted, trading for the rest.

AJ

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@ajqtrz Question for you. Are you anti or pro push accounts? I mean I was never happy about top players who had entire fellowships just for the purpose of feeding their high ranking city AW KP from the tournament. If I follow the thinking that it is OK because it is easier then I have to rethink my frustration that I could never compete with the big pushers. No big deal really since I've been on the 1st page of rankings for years but still not a shortcut that I was willing to do. Ah, but just think how many KP 25 small accounts can get every week with not all that much effort. FYI, one of those players was also the one who thought it was a bright idea to only have T3 factories and cross-tier trade for T1 & T2. At least they got the message that it was not acceptable to other players they depended on. I do not view cities who depend on not having to balance their productions any differently than I viewed that top ranked player and a couple of others. I will say it is not a big deal as long as I use PC filters to limit offers I am willing to take. I do try to avoid trading when I am on my iPad since mobile does not have filters. Frankly, I can be a help to my neighbors who post same tier trades since I pick up literally all fair trades for my boosted goods and sometimes other goods I have surplus of from taking all the trades posted. For players who post cross-tier trades or 0 star trades I am no help at all unless they are in my Fellowship and I know they need a boost.

Adding: There are a bunch of players who started push accounts because "If you can't beat them join them." I don't see this as all that much different from players who played the game balancing productions with factories and/or event buildings who now may take the supposedly easy road of producing mostly T3 and trading them for huge amounts of T1 & T2.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

Since it's been a relatively short time since the changes in the game and/or changes in peoples attitudes about cross tier trading have occurred, we are, in my opinion, seeing an adjustment to the new market conditions.
If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. Or not.
Cross tier down trades are rotting on the market in all three of my worlds.
Same tier trades get picked up within a few hours, with the exception of steel and scrolls on Harander.

Edit to add: 2 star trades or better

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
The T3 cross trades are worse in my EN city, but I see it starting to flip on Ceravyn too. At the same time, these are the trades that sit for days so not sure who is actually taking them or where the demand is for it. Like @Iyapo1 said, if you post same tier trades, it disappears quickly, whether you post them or other people post them. I feel like this is more of a symptom of the Great Migration where there are many more active hungry neighbors so the good stuff gets eaten first and the unwanted T3 cross tier trades are the leftover crumbs. I do see a lot of new cities doing cross trading from the start, prob because they don't understand why the cross tier trades are the only ones they see in their trader.

StarLoad

I don't see what all the fuss is about if you don't like them, you should ignore them as you would an outrageous 0* trade. Seems to me that we spend more time repeating the same issues of trade concerns and never finding a solution that "CAN" be implemented. Maybe it's time to drop this dead horse.

Ed

ajqtrz

If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. Or not.
Cross tier down trades are rotting on the market in all three of my worlds.
Same tier trades get picked up within a few hours, with the exception of steel and scrolls on Harander.

Edit to add: 2 star trades or better

And implying that something is a lie does not make it a lie. If you disagree with a point I've made the rational response is to lay out why I'm mistaken. Please feel free to do so. Here's my analysis.

I agree that the cross tier 3 to T1 and/or T2 is rampant. But as long as people take those trades those trades are fair to the ones taking them and the ones posting them since both are in agreement or the transaction would not occur (except for the occassional missclick, I suppose). In the end you make a claim and present no reasoning or evidence to support it. You seem to be saying, and I could be wrong about my interpretation of the matter, that T3 for T2 and/or T1 hurts the game both now and in the long run and that without some kind of adjustment to the game mechanics by Inno the problem will persist and perhaps become even worse. My take is that it's a short term (i.e. a few months to a year at most) market problem that a relatively free market adjustment will correct.

On my side is the evidence of the scrolls and my interpretation of what is happening and what will occur. You will argue that Inno's change in the production of the library set corrected the issue, but I argue that the scrolls issue was a lot closer to being resolved before Inno's change. In fact, I'd say the T3 problem we are experiencing now is exactly because a bunch of players put their Scrolls mfrs into storage in response to the abundance of scrolls and built T3 production instead. When Inno changes the moonstone set productions the sharp drop in scrolls production led to a shortage of T2 as people first traded their excess T2 scrolls for crystal and silk, and then (as in now) are using their excess T3 (which they had due to putting their scrolls mfrs away) to purchase T2. If the T2 supply continues to drop eventually people will start putting their scrolls T2 back up, Scrolls will increase in production and that will allow them to use scrolls for silk and crystal instead of their T3. At the same time, due to space limitations some will trade their T3 excess capacity for more T2 capacity exactly because it will be cheaper than buying scarce T2 with overly abundant T3. Those are my predictions.

If Inno makes no major changes, what are you predictions for where the markets will be in six months to a year?

@Deborah M You asked: "Are you anti or pro push accounts," to which I ask, "are they against the rules?" If not, then why would I be against them? If so, then why would I be for them? I'm for playing by the rules Inno has set. Since Inno doesn't allow push accounts, I'm against them.

On the other hand, some people think the rules are: "If I can get away with it, it's okay." I am not of that camp. I honor all the rules the game developer makes AND I honor all who keep the rules a fellowship makes for their members. I would like to see more enforcement on Inno's part and perhaps fewer rules in some fellowships., But even without those changes I think most rules are needed and if they are not, one should persuade whomever is in charge of them, to drop them before just going out and breaking them because you can.

Hope that answers your question.

AJ

Last edited:

Alram

Flippers just flip
@ed1960
How long did players kick around the idea that the old 16:4:1 trade ratio was flawed before it got changed to the current ratio?