• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Crossword Puzzles

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
10 I had ABUSES but could find nothing for 6 across matching G_AE_S. I took the liberty of putting this into several "cross word solvers" and none of them had an entry fitting the pattern, so I went with GRANTS and ABUSEN

Maybe it would help if the 2 definitions were reworked ... in other words, how about a hint or two? LOL

ajqtrz

6 GRASPS -- the ability to get a hold on something? Interesting definition. But, in one way, accurate enough. I think the definition would have been better to say "Basically, your ability to get something (plural)." "Power" seems to be more fundamental than a persons ability to "grasp" something, though, as I said, the definition used is accurate enough. ;)

AJ

Moho

Chef
6 GRASPS -- the ability to get a hold on something? Interesting definition. But, in one way, accurate enough.
Yeah, to me it is quite clear. One of the definitions for "grasp" on yourdictionary.com is "the ability or power to seize or attain."
Another definition on the online Cambridge dictionary is: "power to achieve or control something."
The Oxford online dictionary defines "grasp" as: "a person's power or capacity to attain something."

Anyway, it's done. I'll post the new puzzle soon. :)

Last edited:

Moho

Chef
The definitions of a regular crossword puzzle are exactly the same as the ones you can find in the dictionary - something like I did in the case of the word "sortie", for example, in one of my earlier puzzles. The noun "sortie" is defined by Google as " an attack made by troops coming out from a position of defense," and it is the line I used.

In a more challenging puzzle, we can find definitions which are still accurate but less obvious (or less Googleable). For instance, we will choose to define "sortie" as "a frequent tactic used by the Spanish during the Peninsular War." It was the Spanish war of resistance against the Napoleonic occupation, when the local troops used guerrilla warfare to weaken and eventually defeat the French army.

Keeping this in mind, it is time to go to the next crossword puzzle. Here are the definitions:

ACROSS
1. A mahogany substitute.
2. In principle it generates increased consumption.
3. They produce motion dazzle (singular).
4. A reaction you should totally suppress even if it's hilarious.
5. A component of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme core (abbreviation).
6. This is when mad dogs and Englishmen go out.

DOWN
7. They all go when everything is ready (singular).
8. A transition metal that burns in pure nitrogen gas (abbreviation).
9. At peace.
10. Different from the original version.
11. Winner of Super Bowl LII in the 2017 season (abbreviation).
12. A property of matter that can move from one object to another.

crossword.jpg

As usual, may the force be with you! :)

Blindsider66

I'm having all kinds of fun with these crosswords you have posted Moho. Unfortunately none of my answers seem to fit where they should. When the solutions are posted, lol, I wonder if I'm playing the same game. Perhaps I should change the bong water again.

Peace

ajqtrz

Yeah, to me it is quite clear. One of the definitions for "grasp" on yourdictionary.com is "the ability or power to seize or attain."
Another definition on the online Cambridge dictionary is: "power to achieve or control something."
The Oxford online dictionary defines "grasp" as: "a person's power or capacity to attain something."

Anyway, it's done. I'll post the new puzzle soon. :)

Sorry if I sounded like I thought the clues inaccurate or not up to snuff. They were fine and, in reading what I wrote, I did sound that way, didn't I? Sorry. I"ll try to do better in the future.

AJ

Pheryll

Set Designer
The only clue I would quibble with from the prior crossword was the one answered with secant, namely "A tangent is a special case of this." Tangent lines are in fact a limit of secant lines, but rarely are they secants themselves. I understand the reasoning that a dictionary might use to state something similar. Merriam Webster states: "a straight line that is the limiting position of a secant of a curve through a fixed point and a variable point on the curve as the variable point approaches the fixed point," this however does not make a tangent a secant, as their definition of secant line is "a straight line cutting a curve at two or more points"

ajqtrz

1 Sapele
2 AD (advertising)
3 STRIPE
4 TITTER
5 EE (Extended Essay)
6 Midday
7 System (as in "all systems go?")
8 TI (titanium)
9 Parted
10 Edited
11 PE (Philadelphia Eagles)
12 Energy

I think this time I got it without mistakes?

AJ

ajqtrz

I have to admit I'm having way too much fun in both my city and in the crosswords. I'll try in the next day or two to come up with one of my own. I tried on Friday but found it's very hard to do. My hat's off to you for the effort you've put in.

AJ

Moho

Chef
I'm having all kinds of fun with these crosswords you have posted Moho. Unfortunately none of my answers seem to fit where they should. When the solutions are posted, lol, I wonder if I'm playing the same game. Perhaps I should change the bong water again.

Peace
I became a crossword puzzle solver after I graduated from high school. That's when I myself bought my first super dictionary, so that I could look up all those words and their definitions. I prefer solving a type of European puzzle where the definitions are less straightforward and each of them is a beautiful riddle. Even these difficult puzzles can be handled with patience, perseverance, and a bit of inspiration or luck. My method is to find all the 2-letter words first. For example, finding Philadelphia Eagles (number 11) in the puzzle above isn't that hard, is it? Similarly, it should not take long to figure Titanium (number 8)because it is one of the few elements that burns in pure nitrogen. And so on.

For me a crossword puzzle is worth solving if it poses a real challenge. :)

Moho

Chef
The only clue I would quibble with from the prior crossword was the one answered with secant, namely "A tangent is a special case of this." Tangent lines are in fact a limit of secant lines, but rarely are they secants themselves. I understand the reasoning that a dictionary might use to state something similar. Merriam Webster states: "a straight line that is the limiting position of a secant of a curve through a fixed point and a variable point on the curve as the variable point approaches the fixed point," this however does not make a tangent a secant, as their definition of secant line is "a straight line cutting a curve at two or more points"
We can discuss things, of course.

We're going through a period of time when the Internet has become a war arena between tribes of all descriptions. Unlike many places on the Internet, Elvenar seems to be an oasis of peace and quiet, and this might stem in the cooperative nature of the game. My point is that we're discussing things, not arguing or quarreling. I'm just a human being, a regular fellow, who can make mistakes and has made many mistakes before. I apologize for the annoying things I may cause.

There is a type of "mistake" I should not apologize for though. Native American art can be amazing, and I remember there are certain Native American people who regard their art as perfect as long as it includes an intentional flaw because it targets a mortal audience and does not intend to challenge the divine. Similarly, the crossword puzzle world is the playscape of frisky minds rather than an "encyclopedia for dummies." The definitions in this game should always be taken with a pinch of salt because the primary goal of this pastime is to entertain.

But I happen to love rigor, and I think good crossword puzzle creators are rigorous people too. The problem is that I am not Leonardo da Vinci to master a wide range of Areas of Knowledge and to have a strong opinion about everything there is to know. This means I am as smart as my sources of information allow me to. Various sources on the Internet (and this is easily Googleable) maintain that The tangent to a circle is a special case of the secant, when the two end points of its corresponding chord coincide. Crossword puzzle enthusiasts do not intend to prove or disprove such definitions - their purpose is to have fun by manipulating abstract objects (i.e. words and their significance) in a playful manner.

I try to be rigorous but sometimes things simply fail to make sense. For example, on kidskonnect.com one can read that in physics energy is a property of matter and it can be transferred between objects. Everyone is aware of Einstein's formula, where energy equals matter times a constant multiplied by itself. So the value of a property of matter can be found by multiplying matter with a squared constant. It's like saying that the value of color (or light wavelength) can be found by multiplying light with a squared constant. I know I'm limited, but I often feel that scientists are not as clear (or consistent) as they should be.

If we used the scientific method to falsify puns and riddles, they would all disappear. Crossword puzzles are a game, and they make use of knowledge and wit to create pleasure and fun.

Last edited:

Moho

Chef
All right, then. It is time for a new puzzle. Here are the definitions:

ACROSS
1. Modern architecture designs seem better suited for these homes (singular).
2. Young offspring (abbreviation).
3. Cheaper and faster than recycling (plural).
4. A funny number.
5. Its discovery spurred electrographic architecture (abbreviation).
6. If they do it to you, you're framed.

DOWN
7. To go for it.
8. One of the bands Greg Anderson worked with early in his career (abbreviation).
9. Used to extract a material from another by dissolving it.
10. To back or forward.
11. Old denomination of the European Union (abbreviation).
12. They are as strong as knights (singular).

crossword.jpg

ajqtrz

Here's what I've got, so far. Not certain of any of them.

1 Prefab
6 Entrap
7 Plunge
12 Bishop (in chess)

These 4 fit each other but I'm still pondering the rest and they may all be wrong anyway.

AJ