• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Curse of the Mist Walkers

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I wish. As a human player, I'll get more mortas instead.
Mortars are better! They have greater range :)
Edit: yah I know, CW's gonna show up and prove me wrong. But in my oldest cities, I still bring out my mortar but my Golems tend to sit there, especially in a manual fight.

Raccon

Mortars are better! They have greater range :)
Range wise yes, they're best when the field is somewhat difficult for enemy troops to reach them. Strength wise, regardless of elvenar units chart, they are weak in attack and very weak in health.
On an equal squad sized encounter you need 2-3 of them to shoot down a Mist walker, Bandit or any LM. A 3 star Golem on the other hand has almost the same attacking power of a 1 star Paladin or Valorian guard and nearly the same level of health, this gives the the ability to challenge HMs if necessary. Their only limitation is their range, that could be remedied by frogs from Witch's Hut or brown bear buildings.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yes, this is the wonder I want next, but not enough to chapter any faster. Like @samidodamage, settlement stuff bores me too! I am considered a baby city in my FS bc I am only in Halflings. The big boys and girls in my FS keep telling me to fast forward to getting a Timewarp, but I have no interest in chaptering up faster to deal with settlements that take even longer until the game crawls to glacial pace! So many fighting toys are in late game though...
Once you get the portal to level 4 you can knock out Halflings pretty quickly using portal profits. Which is pretty much what I did when I was doing it. Then again, my approach was pretty much the exact opposite of what you describe your approach as being. I could see the late chapter unit promotions and the late game AWs like Timewarp and Simia Sapiens. And I knew I wanted all that. So I moved as quickly through the early and middle chapters as possible, using PPs as much as possible.

And it worked. I got all the promotions and the AWs. Now that I have started to actually play ch 16 and start to make the guest race goods my biggest regret from the way I played the early chapters is skipping Blooming Trader Guild. When I was doing the early and mid-game guest race chapters I was able to use Portal Profits to keep moving at a rapid pace. So BTG seemed unnecessary. But ch 16 requires you to make so much stuff you can't get from PPs. And from what I read ch 17 and 18 are going to be the same way. I think I am going to have to build and level BTG to deal with these chapters...

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I think I am going to have to build and level BTG to deal with these chapters...
I got through Ch16 okay without a BTG, but have had to build/upgrade it in Ch 17. But, I wasn't trying to move through 16 quickly, either. I think it's doing Ch16/17 back to back that has me so ready to be done with 17.

Elivarian

Grrrr...yup, one of each class type. All 3-stars. This tourney is SO MEAN!
View attachment 11178
To me it looks like most tournaments are mean and unfair. I don't mind that they demand something of us, but those combinations where you just going to lose almost all troops; Why ??

What about us small shit-players at low chapters, starting Fairies, what do we have to fight with; Ohh, absolutely no Firebird, and also not many wonders. So yes, a not so fun game playing.

Raccon

To me it looks like most tournaments are mean and unfair. I don't mind that they demand something of us, but those combinations where you just going to lose almost all troops; Why ??

What about us small shit-players at low chapters, starting Fairies, what do we have to fight with; Ohh, absolutely no Firebird, and also not many wonders. So yes, a not so fun game playing.
Maybe I'm wrong but I noticed around the end of each chapter fights in tournaments and spier get more manageable due to troop promotions etc.. However, tournament and spire fights become mission impossible again once you start the first row of research in the new chapter.
To me it seems like once a player starts a new chapter the game adjusts the difficulty level to all the military promotions in that chapter no matter if you just stepped in or researched them all. The troop promotions usually on the tail end side of the chapter by the way.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
To me it looks like most tournaments are mean and unfair.
Well, good news because the Marble Tourney is REAAAAALLLLYY easy! Mostly heavy melee and mage combos so just march light range into battle and dust your hands. A half decent Needles, which is available early game, can help you kill the mages with light range in one or two shots and heavy melee can never walk far enough to reach your light range. No other buffing necessary. You can go so far in tourney and lose very few troops. Steel tourney used to be this combo and therefore easiest, but now it's similar, yet slightly tougher bc they add the occasional light melee into the mix. The light melee can reach your light range and therefore bring about more damage. Compared to Dust, both are walks in the park and relic collecting tourneys though.

Ohh, absolutely no Firebird, and also not many wonders. So yes, a not so fun game playing.
The better approach and perspective is to use early chapters to master the fighting fundamentals without all the bells and whistles. I started out in a FS with no minimums and unless I put in more and do the work myself, I wasn't seeing anything past 5 chests. This caused my army levels to be perpetually critically low. I went through most of the early chapters with only 5x units in my army camp, which forced me to learn battle mechanics better so I can stretch my troops further. I didn't have Fire Phoenix or Bears when I started out either. Fast forward and I'm now in a tourney happy FS where we clear 10th chest by Wed. I'm a puppy (#20 on the group roster) in a group of big dogs, but I slogged through this terrible tourney and got 9246 pts in for 3rd in our group and finishing 6th on the server. I only used 1UUU and 1 MMM though, but the top dogs in my group use twice as many expiring buffs. They can stretch their buffs for 2 tourneys because they have Timewarp + Polar Bear combos. I do not have a Timewarp so I have to be more economical about my buff deployments and therefore, fight smarter and more efficiently. They often forget I'm 5+ chapters behind them and I'm getting it done without Timewarp, Toad, Victory Springs, 3-star promoted troops, or any of the other toys they have AND with less buffs. Learning the fundamentals helps me fight better autofighting in my 2nd city too. After this round of butt kicking by Terminator Mist Walkers though, you bet I'm going to use an ELR instead of MMM next Dust Tourney! It's an on-going learning process to get better. The butt whoopings help you see where the holes are in your game so you can refine and close them!

Raccon

Also, no matter which chapter I'm in, I realized that a fight isn't worth the cost to continue once your combined losses equals to a squad and the enemy losses isn't. Specially in the two or three wave spire fights.

Elivarian

Well, the problem is when you get to chapter 15 and get all 3* troops, the provinces gets very heavy troop-wise, and you really need all you can get in buffs to go beyond 30. I have played on EN for some years and stopped this summer when i reached chapter 16. Last tournament i put a ton of booster and went all 63 provinces and got a score above 17K. Otherwise i did some costly 6.5K every tournament. It really is a lot more expensive with that new crap formula they made. I got tired and love my small city now, well, growing, so not so small anymore, but going very slow through chapters, which then also is a pain because not good enough troops :rolleyes:

I have a level 1 Polar bear, so he makes it so i can do 6 rounds. But getting beyond round 12 or so makes it a real pain. I have around maybe 17 provinces the most. I only did 16 this one here. Way to insane. Way to heavy losses and goods payed. We do 10th chest, and we're just a small FS, but we make it work during tournament. Also one of our smallest players go to the top of the Spire ;-)

Another problem is that i haven't gotten any DA in Spire the last two months or so, and no booster buildings for over one month. Just started getting some again the other day. But when you get tournaments where LR and Mages are not needed that much, then they don't help.

I'm curious to see how the other tournaments are, i have written down which troops is used for most of them, i'm afraid they have changed some of them. Working on getting Monastery/Sanctuary upgraded to have health boost covered.

Elivarian

Maybe I'm wrong but I noticed around the end of each chapter fights in tournaments and spier get more manageable due to troop promotions etc.. However, tournament and spire fights become mission impossible again once you start the first row of research in the new chapter.
To me it seems like once a player starts a new chapter the game adjusts the difficulty level to all the military promotions in that chapter no matter if you just stepped in or researched them all. The troop promotions usually on the tail end side of the chapter by the way.
But the troop upgrades in Fairies are not that good. Only thing is 3* Bud Sorceress at the end of research.

Spire i can only fight to maybe 2nd door on first level. I then only fight where there's a perfect match, otherwise i lose most my troops. I therefor keep a production of goods to negotiate the Spire to 2nd big boss.

Elivarian

Also, no matter which chapter I'm in, I realized that a fight isn't worth the cost to continue once your combined losses equals to a squad and the enemy losses isn't. Specially in the two or three wave spire fights.
I've had many fights where i had a strong upper hand on 3 of the squads and one equal, and the 5th not a counter, where i was wiped 4 of my squads; Is that a fair fight ?? - Not at all. I know i auto fight, but come on ..

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
i have written down which troops is used for most of them
You're ok as long as the list you have is not from a place that still has the troop types from before they changed in Oct 2020, like ElvenGems. Lelanya is expending herculean effort trying to keep that site alive, but it's all she can do to keep up with events/FA's coming at such a rapid pace. There have been no updates to the tourney info there since the changes. Those fights/troops/goods required will still reflect what you'll see in the world map province fights, but not the tourney anymore. Some folks think they're 'close enough'; personally I don't since before the changes you would never see different enemy types in the tourneys before the changes and now it's possible to see all 5 enemy types in the same battle. There were tourneys where you could go through an entire tourney and never see a Mist Walker...the good old days, lol!
Here's a link to a post I made a couple months ago in the Tourney Changes thread that pulled what I could find from announcements on here and from the beta forums on the changes to the enemy troops in tourneys:
Tourney Changes post

Raccon

Sorry I forgot to mention that I manual fight, I gave up auto fights on chapter 4 for the same reasons you mentioned.
I've had many fights where i had a strong upper hand on 3 of the squads and one equal, and the 5th not a counter, where i was wiped 4 of my squads; Is that a fair fight ?? - Not at all. I know i auto fight, but come on ..
I'm not sure if you manual fought as well when you had a chapter 16 city, but in my short experience with elvenar, in auto fight, you know whom are you dealing with but you don't know where is it taking place. For example in many encounters everything looks perfect for use of certain troop types but all your troops get wiped out simply because the terrain on your side was causing your troops a huge handicap while the enemy had a great freedom of movement on it's side of terrain.
In manual fight you can scout the terrain beforehand and decide what kind of troops, how many of them and where to put them. This would increase your winning odds. Because of manual fight, I started advancing in spire better from chapter 6 onwards. I manage to get past the high halls gateway and sometimes half way to Laboratory, I stop once the enemy squad size and the troop variety gets ridiculesly high.

Raccon

My recent encounter from Spire explains what I mean;
20211213_010937.jpg

Unfortunately I forgot to take a Screen shot of the auto fight page on my mobile but you can still see the enemy formation and the terrain layout. On mobile or auto fight in general, for this encounter of; 3 mages, a sneaky mist walker and an archer one would naturally lineup five archers to have that first shot first kill effect. However as you can see positions 2, 3, and 4 are blocked therefore, useless for an archer. They'll lose the critical first shot at mages and, instead they will get shot at by mages first. Once I scouted the field I put dogs on the blocked positions instead, my 2 archers draw the mist walker and surviving mages fire while my intact dogs wiped the surviving mages and archers.
By the way, that mist walker killed one of my archers in two rounds before I fed her to my angry dogs.

Elivarian

You're ok as long as the list you have is not from a place that still has the troop types from before they changed in Oct 2020, like ElvenGems. Lelanya is expending herculean effort trying to keep that site alive, but it's all she can do to keep up with events/FA's coming at such a rapid pace. There have been no updates to the tourney info there since the changes. Those fights/troops/goods required will still reflect what you'll see in the world map province fights, but not the tourney anymore. Some folks think they're 'close enough'; personally I don't since before the changes you would never see different enemy types in the tourneys before the changes and now it's possible to see all 5 enemy types in the same battle. There were tourneys where you could go through an entire tourney and never see a Mist Walker...the good old days, lol!
Here's a link to a post I made a couple months ago in the Tourney Changes thread that pulled what I could find from announcements on here and from the beta forums on the changes to the enemy troops in tourneys:
Tourney Changes post
I have written down what troops i mostly meet in the tournaments. I have forgotten it sometimes,, so i don't have them all, but are filling them in now. Even scrolls is a doable tournament with around 80% Heavy Range, 10% Heavy Melee and 10% mix of the rest. I haven't calculated, it's just a look and feel.

But going into silk it changes to crap where i had mostly combo of Heavy Melee and Light Range - And nope, Dryads cannot keep standing the ground here.

The problem at the core of the tournament is that we all meet the same star-troop, so if you're not in chapter 15 and have gotten all 3*, then you're just something out of Sherlock ;) The only thing that changes going up in chapters are the size of the armies we meet. So again, the tournament isn't fair. And now with the very bad combos added to it, then there's just no way through if you don't have booster buildings.

Elivarian

Sorry I forgot to mention that I manual fight, I gave up auto fights on chapter 4 for the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm not sure if you manual fought as well when you had a chapter 16 city, but in my short experience with elvenar, in auto fight, you know whom are you dealing with but you don't know where is it taking place. For example in many encounters everything looks perfect for use of certain troop types but all your troops get wiped out simply because the terrain on your side was causing your troops a huge handicap while the enemy had a great freedom of movement on it's side of terrain.
In manual fight you can scout the terrain beforehand and decide what kind of troops, how many of them and where to put them. This would increase your winning odds. Because of manual fight, I started advancing in spire better from chapter 6 onwards. I manage to get past the high halls gateway and sometimes half way to Laboratory, I stop once the enemy squad size and the troop variety gets ridiculesly high.
For me it's about not having to do manual fight. It takes a lot of time, and i'm not into the game because of the fighting. I'm here because it once was a city building game where you actually could play it without having to fight. But that's long gone now.