• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Days of Music

DeletedUser9601

It's a way to make people desperate for land and spending diamonds. I have a fundamental issue with the amount of money they charge for diamonds. I've played games that cost $50 that I can replay countless times. But what they charge for diamonds is beyond most people's comfort zone.
I think if you spent $40-60 diamonds on the game (during bonus diamond sales), you are more than set for comfort. You won't be top 10 on your server, but you'll do plenty well. That's an upgraded builder, magic academy and a few expansions that will make your city grow significantly faster. And that's about the equivalent of a AAA title.

There are $50 games with countless replay-ability: I put 1,000 hours in Civ V, and could do another 1,000. But that's generally not the norm. And those games aren't generally being updated with new content for free.

There are games that do get constant updates for "free." But often those games are subscription based (Warcraft), or require indirect subscriptions (like XBox Live or other log-in fees).

I'm too far gone in my video gaming days (hence playing Elvenar), but I think the "bang for your buck" if you decide to play a "freemium" game isn't too bad. Compare what $50 gets you in Elvenar vs. $50 in Hearthstone, or Clash of Clans, and you're in good shape. Now, its certainly debatable whether the freemium model is really a good one, and whether certain Inno activities (mainly the FA) push us into buying diamonds. But at the end of the days, there's no such thing as a free lunch. These games are expensive to make, and maintain, and advertise. I think Inno's employees and stockholders are doing well, but I also don't think that anyone is retiring to a private island any time soon based.

DeletedUser12171

I've spent about $150 - 200 on the game in the past year and never did I feel compelled to do so. I'm also happy with what I got for the $200 and will continue to spend on occasion. Some argue that without spending money, it is difficult to build extra buildings for events without sacrificing something else in their city. Others would say, having an easier time with events is fair reward for paying for extra expansions

This is a free game in a free world. By saying that Inno is forcing people to spend money, all you're saying is that they've made a game fun/good enough for you to want to play, but you don't want to pay for it. Because the day you decide it's not worth it, you can walk right out the door, just the same as the day you walked in by your own choice. I've done that multiple times with other freemium games so yes I do know what I'm talking about. Of course, you can also continue to play for free, accepting the limitations that come along with it.

Before anyone jumps in with the "so we can't give feedback now" argument, let me just point out that what I'm saying is about the idea of being forced to spend money on the game, not about whether we should give feedback when we don't like something

Last edited by a moderator:

Tauriel Dragonwood

Arrrr! Because my population is so low now, I've had to demolish my level 19 Planks Manufactory to build level 1s so I can complete this event. I'm still a wee bit angry about the game designers carting off so many of my citizens. Where did they take them? Hmmm?

DeletedUser3122

The business model is pay to win. People can buy their rank. No one is absolutely forced to buy diamonds, but people feel extremely frustrated with not being able to do certain things in the game and suffer with it if they don't buy them (their business model counts on this).

You don't even need to purchase diamonds to upgrade the builder or magic academy, unless you want both of them to be higher than lvl 3. You can earn the diamonds, by completing chapters, to upgrade both 1 additional time.

I have spent money on diamonds on my main account and made a 2nd experimental account to see if the game is playable without buying diamonds. While it is definitely possible to not spend any money - my 2nd "free" city is in the dragons chapter - it is a definite struggle for space and slightly slower progress. It's a choice of course. This is what I mean by "forced" to spend money - because if you want to participate in everything, quests, FA, tournaments, you have to be frustrated a very large part of the time because it is a struggle. Anyone who says otherwise, I can't take seriously.

There are some great game designs where people willingly part with their money because it's very small amounts, but over time, it's multiple purchases, such as League of Legends. You can't pay to win. Everything they sell is purely cosmetic but so inexpensive that people buy the skins. And they've made a lot of money doing it this way.

Now, if Inno would make skins for buildings, or allow the same amount of squares per level to be manipulated for layout, I'm sure those would sell. But do they? No. Instead, they choose to frustrate players by requiring nonboosted buildings or having to build so many extra workshops, it's insane, just to adequately complete a Fellowship Adventure.

They allow diamond purchase progress for FA. People who have money to burn are the ones that get the top ranks and prizes. I don't care about score or status. But I do care about a level playing field. It's a game that should be enjoyable and earning something should be meaningful.

DeletedUser12171

While it is definitely possible to not spend any money - my 2nd "free" city is in the dragons chapter - it is a definite struggle for space and slightly slower progress. It's a choice of course. This is what I mean by "forced" to spend money - because if you want to participate in everything, quests, FA, tournaments, you have to be frustrated a very large part of the time because it is a struggle. Anyone who says otherwise, I can't take seriously.

I see your point. Yet there are some, such as the honorable Soggyshorts, who seem to be able to do everything, and better than many at that, with nary a dollar out of their pocket. More effort required - yes, quite possibly, but that's the tradeoff it seems - play for free but work harder, or pay for some things and have it easier. I find that to be a fair tradeoff. There are also guides out there, including Mykan's, which seem to be based off free-play, as well as these forums, which many experienced free-play-ers seem to frequent, so tbh I think there is no shortage of help and resources to anyone who wants to play free AND get the works as well

k777

Strange. I only saw the possibility of 15 and 30.

I've felt resentful about this and complained because our FS has the rule it must be a boosted only city. Then Inno turns around and forces us to build nonboosted, if we care to take part in events. But all the complaints fell on deaf ears and what does one do? Quit the game, not participate in events? They knew we'd suck it up. I still don't like it, but there it is.

It's a way to make people desperate for land and spending diamonds. I have a fundamental issue with the amount of money they charge for diamonds. I've played games that cost $50 that I can replay countless times. But what they charge for diamonds is beyond most people's comfort zone.

A game should be pleasant from various aspects, especially if you plan to spend real money on it. Forcing purchases is not the best strategy.

k777

"I've felt resentful about this and complained because our FS has the rule it must be a boosted only city."

I would think nobody would care, even with a rule like that, if you built a bunch of level 1 bldgs for events, and usually it's not a problem to find a little space for that. I never spend $ on the game and I have been able to complete all events since I began almost a year ago (I am in S&D chapter now).

dikke ikke

it is possible to play the game without spending any $ and to get far, but the are limits. I am now slowly dropping out of the top 100 on server us3 because i can not compete with only 107 extends to players with 132 extends simply because they have more buildings (magical or not) to upgrade.

DeletedUser17094

Lower level players won't have any chance of completing this event (taking a look at some of the scheduled tasks). Disappointing. Requirements for completion are being set way too high imo.

DeletedUser

Lower level players won't have any chance of completing this event (taking a look at some of the scheduled tasks). Disappointing. Requirements for completion are being set way too high imo.

What list are you looking at? If you are looking at the list that Gems of Knowledge has, it does not reflect the changes that were made to some of the requirements. The event is open to all players.

DeletedUser17094

What list are you looking at? If you are looking at the list that Gems of Knowledge has, it does not reflect the changes that were made to some of the requirements. The event is open to all players.
Hope so. One of our members posted in for my fellowship. All tasks have been accurate so far.(working on #16 now). Collectively, the timeline requirements to complete all tasks is over the top imo. Can't see any way of completing them in the time alloted.

With your question above on the AW contributions: There is a way to accomplish this. It will be a matter of locating a city that has AW available and contributing that way. A pain but it is doable ;)

Thanks for the reply ;)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
All tasks have been accurate so far.(working on #16 now)
Changes were made to #23 & #37. They are now:
#23: Spend 15 kp
#37: Spend 25 kp
I was concerned about those 2 quests when they were 'donate to another person's wonder' in my baby city that's just now in Ch 3. It would have curtailed my progress there to divert kp into AW's at this early point in the game. But with those changes, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish it there. I've completed 20 of them already in that city; a week should be plenty of time to get the rest done if I plan well.
In my main city, I just unlocked Advanced Scouts for Sorcerer's and Dragons; I should finish it there without doing much trying (don't really see me placing the building, but I'm not putting myself under any pressure to finish it there). If I need to upgrade workshops and they take 21 hrs, it'll just take 21 hrs to complete the 'upgrade 4 bldgs' quest. Should have the next ones sitting there waiting to collect as soon as that one is done. This thread might be a good place to read up on some things you can do to make events in general go smoother and faster for you:
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/how-you-can-make-every-event-easier.13069/#post-69720

DeletedUser3122

Requirements for completion are being set way too high imo.

The number of relics they require are not just difficult but annoying as heck. I'm "done" with the game, completed the Elemental chapter, had upgraded every building fully and they asked for upgrading to lvl 16 and then later lvl 18. Scouting takes me, I forget the exact amount, but close to 60 hours. Yes, they give enough time (10 days) to complete the questline but having to reserve buildings for upgrades, making tiny buildings to upgrade to lvl 5, they are just annoying hoops to jump through.

I think a quest should entail buildings you already own, producing things, and other things that help one build their city. Not build lvl 1 buildings, only to tear them down again.

DeletedUser3122

play for free but work harder

I personally don't mind working harder to play free. But I might be inclined to actually buy diamonds if they were reasonably priced, and items I'm buying also require small amounts of diamonds. They are missing out on micro-transactions. I would prefer to give amounts of real money in return for appreciation, game development, if the items to buy were fair to the whole population. The way things are now, I personally find is not a business model conducive to getting more broad based financial support.

Tauriel Dragonwood

@k777 I agree with you. Greed has been the downfall of many powerful empires and it can lead to the downfall of many fun games.

For lack of citizens now, in order for me to complete these quests I've had to demolish high level manufactories and build smaller ones.

Oh where, oh where, have my citizens gone? Oh where, oh where, can they be?
The game designers changed the code and shipped them out to sea.

Tauriel Dragonwood

Make sure you don't overscout or you'll find yourself facing Hard Provinces on the World Map. Those provinces are extremely hard to fight and require Orcs to negotiate. If you're not up to the Orcs chapter, your only option is to spend diamonds to complete each encounter. For me, in this event that means 11 Encounters and maybe 3 more provinces will have to be unlocked to complete the "Gain 23 Relics" quest because the tournament is closed. I was hoping to get up to Quest 33 before the tournament closed but I should have known. That quest has always been at the end of an event so the odds are not in your favor that the tournament will be open.