• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Deep-fried turkey

Gkyr

Chef
It is a little late to be posting this, so bookmark it for next year.
If you like to cook and Thanksgiving has become a formulaic drag, consider doing deep-fried turkey next year. When your family has expectations that this dish or that dish must be present, they are almost always side-dishes like yams, mashed potatoes or green bean casserole. No one bothers you about the turkey - so live it up. Here are all the little tips that make it a success:

PROS: tender, juicy white meat, cooks in 45 minutes, tastes great, leaves oven free for dressing and pies.
CONS: no gravy (workaround follows), dressing not in bird cavity (+ or -, depending on how foodsafe preoccupied). Oil costs more than the bird. You need to buy equipment, including a long-stem deep-frying thermometer (not very costly). You need a crab-boil setup, i.e. an 8 to 10 gallon pot and a gazillion BTU propane burner. Oh, yes, and a propane tank.

This can be done indoors (screened-in porch) or outdoors. Wherever you do it, place plenty of corrugated cardboard around it (further out than you would think) and leave a pair of old shoes to wear at the pot if you are traipsing in and out of the house, change shoes. It will splatter.

Do not allow the bird to touch the sides of the pot - it may scorch the skin. Overpriced turkey fry setups have an inner basket to prevent that but here is what I do: truss the legs of the turkey together with a long thin chain (or cable or old rope) and suspend the turkey from an overhead fixture. I have used a ceiling fan in a porch (it is not heavy), a hook under the eaves and the branch of a tree. Just make sure the drop of the supporting line is centered over the pot before you fill the pot. It is harder to move 20 lb. of oil plus burner. You will lower the bird into the hot oil from above so make sure the line is free to move up and down and can be secured at the depth you want it.

Preparation: Since the oil costs more than the bird, plan to do at least two turkeys. Freeze one; you won't regret it. Since it is Thanksgiving, line up friends and neighbors to bring their prepared birds and help them fry them. One of them can pay you back by providing the propane tank (make sure it is full, the friend may not know). Since frying only takes 45 minutes (+/-) it is possible to turn out 4 or 5 perfectly fried turkeys in a morning without any rush.
Do use dry rub and do consider buying Konrico.
Buy a 5 gallon jug of peanut oil. Do not use any other oil, it won't be as good.
For you who have never done this before, Marth Stewart's recipe is excellent:

The oil should be at 350 degrees F but the turkey is a big heat-sink so start the oil at 400 degrees and let it decrease. I keep a large saucepan of oil at 350 on the stove. Here's why: you fill the pot only 2/3 full of oil because when you lower the bird into the oil there is a large amount of boilover that you do not want to boil over; that's what can cause fires. When the turkey is in the oil it will float and bob a little; put a little tension on the chain to keep it off the pot bottom and top up the oil in the kettle with the oil from the stove so that the drumsticks are covered.

You can use the time per pound formula if you have kept the oil at 350 degrees because this method is way more dependable than an oven. I use a meat thermometer into the thigh to test doneness and I always have the oil thermometer in the pot.

A great way to make gravy is to fry your first bird. Then while your neighbor is frying theirs, cut the meat off of the bone (keeping this one in the freezer, cut up) and simmer the bones in water or (richer) chicken stock. After your neighbors are finished with their birds, fry your second one. Add a few tablespoons of the cooking oil to a skillet, stir in some flour and cook a minute then slowly pour in your bone broth to make gravy. It wont be as dark and rich as using traditional pan drippings, but the flavor of the bird will compensate for that. Pour gravy over the dressing balls. Here is the recipe:

Cleaning up: Now you are stuck with about 4-5 gallons of used oil. What to do? One year I left it out on the curb and a battered old man with a battered old pickup truck asked me if there was any motor oil in it or if it was just food oil. He took it away. It can be strained and stored in jars in a chest freezer to stop the aging and you will have a year's supply of good cooking oil. Or you can donate it to a biodiesel container in town.

I never paid the exorbitant prices that big box stores expect for the pot and burner cooking setup. Between now and next Thanksgiving the chances are good that you can pick one up for a reasonable price at a garage sale.

Last edited:

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
Especially for me :D I have to many kitchen fires lolol . Did you know …you don’t throw water on a burning pan of oil ??? See @crackies avatar lolol
BIG mistake

Gkyr

Chef
It also sounds dangerous, lol.
Big pots of boiling oil are indeed dangerous but, just think, many years ago our ancestors used the oil to prevent unwanted family members from attending Thanksgiving dinners at their castle. :)

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Big pots of boiling oil are indeed dangerous but, just think, many years ago our ancestors used the oil to prevent unwanted family members from attending Thanksgiving dinners at their castle. :)
So true, LOL.

sputnik9009

CONS: no gravy (workaround follows), dressing not in bird cavity (+ or -, depending on how foodsafe preoccupied). Oil costs more than the bird. You need to buy equipment, including a long-stem deep-frying thermometer (not very costly). You need a crab-boil setup, i.e. an 8 to 10 gallon pot and a gazillion BTU propane burner. Oh, yes, and a propane tank.
one con that you forgot to mention is... water + hot oil = volatile reaction
How volatile you may ask?, my friend bought a turkey fryer about 25 years ago, he raved about how good and tender it was going to be just as the advertising said. Well my buddy fired up the turkey fryer, just like the instructions said, got the oil hot and put the bird in and presto everything was tickedy boo. Well there must have been some ice in the bird because after a few moments the oil started to boil over and onto the deck, he put the fryer on the back deck about 2m(6feet6) from patio door to kitchen, flames started shooting up. It all happened so fast, my friend grabbed the garden hose and started spraying and when the water hit the pot it exploded into an instant inferno. The wooden deck was on fire(most of it), the flames raced the outside wall melting the vinyl siding and it spread to the kitchen thru the open door. By the time the fire department got there a quarter of the house, one and a half trees and the back deck was burnt.
And remember the biggest con: no gravy

Gkyr

Chef
one con that you forgot to mention is... water + hot oil = volatile reaction
I don't think I forgot to mention it:

you fill the pot only 2/3 full of oil because when you lower the bird into the oil there is a large amount of boilover that you do not want to boil over; that's what can cause fires.
Your anecdote is a good example of Darwinism at work.
The only reason that this procedure is not foolproof is that fools are so inventive.

Gkyr

Chef
@SoggyShorts
Those are great examples of why I said that one should top up the turkey-in-the-pot with preheated oil.

Actually, owning a deep fryer on the kitchen counter is even more dangerous because the space is more enclosed and more expensive to repair. Although the electric heating elements of a countertop deep fryer are enclosed, spattering oil can find them and ignite. Keeping the fryer next to the range is also hazardous.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The thing is, in the video it appeared to me people were putting the turkey in by either dropping it in, or lowering it very quickly. If the oil is too hot or you go too fast (meaning more moisture is expanded by the oil) the moisture on the outside of the turkey expands too rapidly and that's what causes the problem. The right amount of moisture expanding would be if the oil expanded (via steam bubbles) and rose to near the top, but not over the top of the fryer. To save a lot of grief and perhaps a life or two (or a kitchen/house), do these three things. 1) dry the outside of the turkey; 2) lower it in more slowly (than the video examples); and 3) keep the oil at no more than 400. Drying the turkey removes surface moisture and lowers the amount of immediate steam produced, lowering it more slowly controls how much moisture goes into the hot oil (which adds to it's upward momentum toward the top of the fryer); and keeping the oil at the right temperature means what energy you have in heat (the higher the temp the more energy), is not so much that the turkey's sub-surface moisture is forced to the top by cooking too quickly.

In the end it's a balancing act between the energy in the oil and the moisture you introduce to it. Too much moisture added too quickly, and/or too much energy in the oil and you get the video results.

AJ