• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Designing a city for catering

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I can see how to design a city for catering only. And I think it could work very well up until the Woodelves chapter. But at that point, Orcs becomes added to the catering list for both tournament and spire. And at the same time, you have to start making mana. If anybody knows how to design a Woodelves level city which can produce enough Orcs to 100% cater tournament & spire while also producing enough mana and goods then please let me know how.

If a person refuses to build armories for making orcs, the only other alternatives require just sitting in chapter 9 until one of two things happen. Either the player gets majorly lucky in an upcoming event and wins a bunch of an orc-producing event buildings, or they keep making every single orc nest that shows up in crafting, until they think they have enough to move forward with the chapter. Both choices, of course, can be started on at the beginning of chapter 8, when those buildings will give orcs. So it is possible to have enough of one or the other, or both, by early chapter 9 to not need the armories.

DeletedUser6326

I've been playing Elvenar since 2015, shortly after it started. I'm not in a hurry with this game. In fact, I've started completely over in 2017 and am now in the Constructs or Elvenar chapters, depending on the server, except in Harandar where I'm in the Orcs. ;)
I have always catered way more often than used troops, although now that I'm in the higher chapters and choose to play in the tourney and Spire, I will use troops, as well...but catering/negotiating is always my first choice.
I rarely do 3 hour productions. More often 9 hour/9 hour/ 3 hour (if I have the time for the last one). I'm never out of goods. I'll use MM spells about once a week on my manus and trade only as a 3 star trader, within the same tier.
I build 3 of each boost (sometimes only two if it's steel or scrolls) and 1 or 2 of each sentient boost.
I have 3 armories (mainly for Orcs), a barracks and the training grounds. No fighting evolving buildings but a few evolving buildings that give goods.
My fellowships don't do 10 chest tourney weeks. Everyone is allowed to play as much or as little as they want to. I average around 1000 to 2000 points in the tourney each week. That's plenty for me.
I have various ancient wonders, depending on the city. All have the Golden Abyss, Mountain Halls, Blooming Trader Guild.
It's very doable and enjoyable, if that's your play-style. Most of the players in my fairly large franchise of fellowships play the same way. Mostly cater with occasional fighting, when needed. There is no one right or wrong way to play the game. To each their own. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Iyapo1

"The spire and I don't get along" . . . "Someday, if I want to try again" . . .
I am a huge spire fan. I see that you decided to try again, so here are my two cents. I am not an expert but for catering the spire search "minmax gamer spire" on youtube. He helps reduce dependence on luck by pointing out statistics and outlining strategies.

Aritra

I am a huge spire fan. I see that you decided to try again, so here are my two cents. I am not an expert but for catering the spire search "minmax gamer spire" on youtube. He helps reduce dependence on luck by pointing out statistics and outlining strategies.
Thanks for that tip. I just posted this morning (in the Mystery of the Misty Forest thread, in response to another) about trying the Spire again. I'm currently waiting at my second gateway. I'm swimming in fragments and feeling encouraged. :)

Iyapo1

I sat on my hands after reading your spire comment on this thread because you pretty obviously did NOT want to hear it.

This A.M. when I saw the other post I was very happy to finally pull my numb hands out from under my posterior.

Aritra

@Iyapo1
lol Thanks. I was actually surprised I didn't get bombarded with help/inquiries despite my attempt to prevent though preemptive declaration and I'm glad to know it was recognized and respected (common for well-meaning people to want to help so much that they want to be the exception and do it anyway). I didn't want to hear it, but that was mostly because I was embarrassed and felt that I appeared stupid for missing something that must have been obvious. I wasn't ready to talk about it, to admit it, then (easier to admit now when it isn't present reality anymore).

This time, I did basically the same strategy as before, and the rest is luck (you can minimize shots in the dark, but can't usually avoid completely). I can't compare catering costs then versus now, but I have a larger buffer than before, giving me the ability to afford the cater, whether I received the contents or not.
(I also kept a closer eye on my inventory; If the cater wanted me to use something I was lower on, I just closed and came back; I discovered this once when I came back after I had more of that resource and discovered the cater goods had changed, so now I know I can back up and go back in with likely a different cater option.)

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I can see how to design a city for catering only. And I think it could work very well up until the Woodelves chapter. But at that point, Orcs becomes added to the catering list for both tournament and spire. And at the same time, you have to start making mana. If anybody knows how to design a Woodelves level city which can produce enough Orcs to 100% cater tournament & spire while also producing enough mana and goods then please let me know how.

I think building a ton of orc nests would give enough orcs to completely forego building armories. And as far as mana goes, Festival Merchants are TONS better than willows, per square, and even better than arcane libraries. I currently have 14 Festival Merchants and have never built a single willow.

I am intrigued by the thought of starting a new city in another world and designing it for cater only. Yes, it would need a ton of goods, but heck, in my fighting city, I still manage to have 6 planks, 6 silk, and 4 dust, all max leveled (I'm in halflings). So I think without that huge maxed barracks and 4 maxed armories, training center, fighting AWs, etc, I could easily make enough room for the extra manufactories. Anyway, I'm considering trying that when I have time to start a new city (if I ever have time, lol.) I think it could be done with enough orc nests and festival merchants. If those in later chapters than I'm in want to correct me, I'm all ears.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
@Iyapo1
lol Thanks. I was actually surprised I didn't get bombarded with help/inquiries despite my attempt to prevent though preemptive declaration and I'm glad to know it was recognized and respected (common for well-meaning people to want to help so much that they want to be the exception and do it anyway). I didn't want to hear it, but that was mostly because I was embarrassed and felt that I appeared stupid for missing something that must have been obvious. I wasn't ready to talk about it, to admit it, then (easier to admit now when it isn't present reality anymore).

This time, I did basically the same strategy as before, and the rest is luck (you can minimize shots in the dark, but can't usually avoid completely). I can't compare catering costs then versus now, but I have a larger buffer than before, giving me the ability to afford the cater, whether I received the contents or not.
(I also kept a closer eye on my inventory; If the cater wanted me to use something I was lower on, I just closed and came back; I discovered this once when I came back after I had more of that resource and discovered the cater goods had changed, so now I know I can back up and go back in with likely a different cater option.)
I didn't realize you attempted to prevent help ... sorry if I inundated you on that thread. I honestly didn't read that part or I would not have posted my spire tips.

Iyapo1

I didn't realize you attempted to prevent help ... sorry if I inundated you on that thread. I honestly didn't read that part or I would not have posted my spire tip
Sorry for the confusion Darielle, my fault.

When I saw the post from @Aritra this morning mentioning giving the spire another shot, I necroed an old coversation.

Also, the festival merchant/orcs nest idea is great.