• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Dislike Button

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
A dislike button is a simple way to register the state of your emotions. It not a good way to tell me the state of your thoughts. I accept that your emotions caused you to react with a negative feeling. But how does that help me or others to see if the idea is a good one or not? I mean maybe you clicked on the "dislike" button because you had a "moldy piece of cheese" and your stomach is upset. Maybe you have a bad reaction to tthe word I misspelled ("tthe?"). Maybe you are in a bad mood and tomorrow you'll find the idea fantastic! How does my knowing somebody dislikes my idea tell me anything about the idea? It doesn't. And while the "like" button is the same, it, at least, encouraged me to keep thinking, speaking up and going forward. Few people get too upset over being "liked," in contrast to many who would, themselves, "dislike" the "dislike button."

So, no. A "dislike" button doesn't help me improve my idea or refine my opinion and is just too easy to click on as an expression of the current state of my emotional reactions.

AJ

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
What was that? Count likes and dislikes and compare them.
I think @ajqtrz's point was pretty clear, and an important one to consider.
Both likes and dislikes(more so) are a terrible source of information. Likes and dislikes are often just a popularity contest which can be very problematic. There is too much emotion involved, and people click for the wrong reasons.
Worse than that, people can get lazy and feel that their "vote" is enough when a sentence or two would have a much greater impact and could help move the discussion forward.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Likes and dislikes are of very little value for features. You just can't be sure if it is the idea they dislike, or the presentation, or the presenter. That's why have polls. If you want to gauge interest in ideas, put each idea in a thread in the general discussion forum and put a poll on it.

With AJ and I on the same side (not even considering Soggy) you'll have a tough row to hoe.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Not a fan of the dislike button.

I use the like button, not necessarily because I AGREE, but because it was a well thought out response or idea. Doesn't mean I would support implementation.

If I dislike something someone posts, as the responders in here will tell you, I will let you know I dislike it and why.

Having said that... this isn't a swipe left hot or not thing...

AtaguS

I think a dislike button on a discussion forum would likely land the same way as if I responded to this idea with nothing more than a :

No

Apart from being a pretty obnoxious response to someone's idea, it leaves absolutely no room for discussion. So then what's the point? At least with a like button we can all look at the post and understand to what the "liker" is nodding in agreement.

NightshadeCS

I generally use the "like" button for two reasons:
1. If someone said something funny or witty and I want them to know it gave me a lift.
2. When someone explains something better than I can and I want to show agreement with their advice when my post would only say the exact same thing.

A dislike button would not show that people disagree with a post, it would just hurt feelings. There's enough of that going around as it is.

Yogi Dave

Just plain no to a dislike button for the reasons given above. Yes, I'd have been tempted to use a dislike button at times, especially for what my mind would call a mean post. But that's not for me to say. Best if I just walk away from that type of conversation. Don't tempt me with a dislike, please.

Iamaita

There have definitely been times that I would have used a dislike button. It would have been a little bit satisfying. More so if it came with some sort of tomato splat effect. Or maybe enough thumbs down, and the offending poster gets thrown to the lions...

But I agree it’s probably best to not make those immediate emotional responses easier. It would either get abused or it would discourage people from voicing a dissenting opinion. A variety of opinions furthers dialogue, which, as others have stated, is sort of the point of a forum. And for those voices that really should be silenced, there is always the ignore button.

shimmerfly

There have definitely been times that I would have used a dislike button. It would have been a little bit satisfying. More so if it came with some sort of tomato splat effect. Or maybe enough thumbs down, and the offending poster gets thrown to the lions...
Now I love the throw to the lions idea! Sometime I need a little anger outlet?
I back space a lot and end up saying nothing.

shimmerfly

Yep! But I bet you felt a tiny bit better?
I read some of this and just smack myself on the forehead. Wishing I could say something...anything but something negative. So I probably use that button more than any other.
Geez I just realized now I'm paraniod to even use the like button. Like someone who corected my spelling once and I wanted to blow up on them.
I spouted off 2 paragraphs of thought from rudeness to disability rights. Then backed off and erased it all.
Sooooo.......I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Yogi Dave

I back space a lot and end up saying nothing.
There have been a few times that i have typed out a whole thought out long response, only to not post it.
Yep. Been there done that, maybe too many times. lol Sometimes the erased post won't go away, so I've learned to erase it, type an 'a', and backspace it out. Leaves less clutter.
Geez I just realized now I'm paraniod to even use the like button.
This is funny, but I know the feeling.