• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team
Since the developers/game runners have seen fit to make a recent fundamental change to the game with the new tech tree and new quest regime for starting a city, I would like to propose a fundamental change in philosophy to the game.

Currently, the game makes false distinctions that appear to run counter to the basic philosophy of the game. Surely, this game space involves a magical world. In a magical world, how could there be a distinction between producing things in a workshop or factory and using magic to do the same thing? It makes no sense. I posit that this distinction creates an obstacle to game play, an obstacle that shouldn't exist in a magical world. I propose we drop this from all quests. It would make more sense for the game to ask us to "obtain" the items, supplies, coins, goods, whatever. Allow the players to choose how they do this. To me, this sounds more like how things would work in a magical world.

Another false distinction exists concerning the encounters. I don't want to lose focus though. My main proposal involves eliminating the distinction between production and collection, which I argue is false, and counter intuitive, in a magical world. However, I do want to mention that making a distinction between the different encounters, provinces, tourney, and spire is also a false one. Furthermore, the game runners had stated in the past that this distinction would be eliminated. Sadly, this is an unkept promise.

The change in philosophy here is to eliminate false distinctions and give the players the freedom to make their own choices. Freedom is a good thing.

Yogi Dave

I think this is true, but maybe it's just a false memory. When I started playing it was possible to take a trade to get the good needed for an event quest. You could place the opposite of that trade and the other person take it back letting both of you complete the quest. At least it took a little cooperation but didn't really do anything. Over time the quests have changed to better fit the basis of the economics of the land. Yes, economics since there is goods production and collection and has been since day one. So, since it's built into the game, I don't see it as a false distinction even in a magical world. Besides, there are not only magical creatures here, but there are also humans. In LOTR, there was production and collection. It there wasn't there wouldn't be trade between the races.

As far as false distinctions, the game is called a city building game, but you really need to participate in the spire and tourneys to progress. They have little to do with city building except as a side effect.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I can go one better Dave, I remember when you could 'Gain' goods by putting up a trade for them, and then canceling it! Lol
But those questlines also asked us to raise buildings to level 10 or higher, take 5 trades, and make 2 x 48 hr productions. Sigh

Pheryll

Set Designer
I can go one better Dave, I remember when you could 'Gain' goods by putting up a trade for them, and then canceling it! Lol
But those questlines also asked us to raise buildings to level 10 or higher, take 5 trades, and make 2 x 48 hr productions. Sigh

You could gain supplies by starting a goods or armory production and then canceling it, and having the supplies spent refunded to you. It might have been my report (due to the timing) that stopped the refunding mechanism from completing quests with ease.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
You could gain supplies by starting a goods or armory production and then canceling it, and having the supplies spent refunded to you. It might have been my report (due to the timing) that stopped the refunding mechanism from completing quests with ease.
Yikes!
Yeah I kind of remember them closing that loophole right quick, whereas the trade one persisted on every 2nd or 3rd event for a stretch.