• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Do ya like it hard?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
All year I've felt that the events have been more than a little boring. If you set a half-dozen 1/3/9h productions and are willing to spend a handful of timers you blast through 80% of the unlocked quests and finish the rest in ~48h. Then the daily unlocks complete themselves through normal play, even the ones asking for tournament encounters between tournaments just pile up and then auto-complete on Tuesday.

Along with these events have come some pretty forgettable prizes. Sure that's fair and balanced considering the above paragraph, but is that really what we want?
Minimal effort for minimal rewards?

We as a community certainly brought this upon ourselves with every complaint made about "having to interrupt normal play for events" or "having to put my progress on hold", but I for one feel that the developers went too far in catering to the loudest complaints.

I'd like to know where you all stand, hopefully, I've included an option for each opinion, pick up to 3 if you want.

Last edited:

Huor

Being new to this, do we all see the same quests or do the requirements change based on your chapter? i.e. a chapter 10 player has to produce more troops then a chapter 3 player.

Gath Of Baal

ehhh, I half heartedly play these event and normally the only prizes I spend my event currency on is the troop instants. Even not really trying to finish these tasks I still manage to finish them anyways. so yeah I would consider them to easy.

Now if i could just go back in time and go all out and gain the 2nd Fire Phoenix base I would be happy. Damn my half hearted event participation :p

Edit: Yes make the events short duration and harder challenges with a better end prize

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I'd like to see some difficulty levels so those who have no room can pick easy, and those who want some 24/48 hr productions, upgrade buildings to 10 or higher, can bring it. Who remembers singing "One hundred bottles of beer on the wall" during Wonky Walter? (Although it may have been 80, don't know, the monkeys kept stealing 'em, little beggars!).

Yup events are pretty tamey samey these days.

Last edited:

Guurt The Destroyer

This is only my second event. I am just about to enter chapter 4. I reached the locked daily quests after about 3 or 4 days.

I enjoyed the event when I was strategizing how to best advance, and planning ahead, trying to be as efficient as possible. It was fun. But once I hit the locked daily quests it stopped being fun. Then it was just something to mildly pay attention to. In retrospect now that I know you will just hit the locked daily quests, I am not sure why people even bother to plan ahead. It was a bit pointless in the end if you just ram up against the locked dailies.

I do like the idea of the events having more special stuff, but ONLY if the game isn't re-balanced due to these special items as that makes the game pretty unbalanced for any players that weren't around during those events and don't have those special items.

One thing I would consider is having different reward lines. For instance they could have A, B, and C reward lines and let the player make a choice on which line they wanted to follow. Then they could offer some of the older items to players that didn't have them. They could even make the quest lines more difficult depending on the quality of the rewards. One of the quest lines could be for artifacts for instance. A player that had bad luck getting a specific artifact might decide to skip an event's main reward and instead go for an artifact they really wanted.

Veesviewpoint

Wow! Chapter 4 and finished in 3 to 4 days!!! Awesome!
Like many of your recommendations and insights!!! Sounds like you will fit in here nicely...ways to think and re-think some of the basic "events"...as many have before you.....hang in there...and keep posting great ideas/concepts...You have many Great Journey's ahead... :)
Vees

DeletedUser29117

This is my 4th event, and sometimes the quests just sort of ‘annoy’ me a bit. For example, I almost never buy KPs or do 3hr productions. I like Guurt’s idea of the reward lines…the rewards are sometimes not too great.
I really want the cake, though :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ekarat

I do not build trash towns during events, since I need that space for the chapter. I prefer not to waste resources (like timeboosts) to finish a few days in when I can finish by the end without spending them. I get sick of events where I have to look up the quests ahead of time and plan ahead by starting long productions in advance.

No, I don't want to see powerful, gamebreaking rewards. They should not have allowed the fire phoenix or the bear+timewarp combo -- it destroys the balance of the game.

SoggyShorts

I am happy with the way things are right now.
There's a voting option for that:
"No, I feel they are already balanced appropriately for me."
One thing I would consider is having different reward lines. For instance they could have A, B, and C reward lines and let the player make a choice on which line they wanted to follow.
"Maybe, I'd like everyone to have a choice of A or B at the start of each event"
I like Guurt’s idea of the reward lines…
"Maybe, I'd like everyone to have a choice of A or B at the start of each event"

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I voted first for option 3, but when I saw you allowed for more than one pick, I went back and picked 1, 3, and the last one.

I really hate it when I blow through the regular quests and then hit the dailies. It almost feels like you're not playing an event, except for picking up currency around your city every couple hours. You get the daily done so quickly and then it's back to nothing. I know people don't like the FA, but at least you're DOING something all day long ... always something to come back for. In the events, you can get it done in 2 minutes and not come back for 24 hours, or whenever your manufactories are done. That's just not an event to me, and yes, it is boring. But part of me fears that if we ask for harder, they'll give it to us but still give the no-brainer event prizes. If I could be assured of good prizes for harder, I'd jump on this. Heck I guess I am jumping on this despite the fear, since I'm tired of mind-numbing events.

NightshadeCS

I would like to see more variety from one event to the next. Maybe large events with some great prizes and a lot of effort required, and then a few smaller, easy events in between the biggies.

I have been playing since the beginning, and when it used to be three grand prizes offered, but you could only get the third by spending $$$, I would feel really left out. I don't really want to go back to that. I don't mind if it took some more effort, though, to get that last big awesome cake dispensing prize.

SoggyShorts

I don't want to see powerful, gamebreaking rewards.
That's the other extreme and undesirable as well IMO.

By "better" rewards I mean
Culture/pop buildings equal to existing ones like goblin gifts, but with current event themed skins.
Or instead of 10 KP instants for lame auto-complete quests 20 KP instants for challenging quests.
Or troop instants with 10 squads instead of 5

Like that. I'm certainly not advocating for a second fire chicken or anything of that kind.

Veesviewpoint

I'd like to see some difficulty levels so those who have no room can pick easy, and those who want some 24/48 hr productions, upgrade buildings to 10 or higher, can bring it. Who remembers singing "One hundred bottles of beer on the wall" during Wonky Walter? (Although it may have been 80, don't know, the monkeys kept stealing 'em, little beggars!).

Yup events are pretty tamey samey these days.
chuckles...yes...except... (down South...)
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...take 1 down, pass it around....98 bottles of beer on the wall...
and the count down...."continues"...chuckles. Vees

BrinDarby

I'd also like to qualify my answer .....
"better" and "harder" don't quite hit the right mark to me.....

"Harder" can mean many things..... like :
Not having tasklist or beta, and just "wing'n it" while you play.
Not playing Beta @all, therefore ..... no free practice, level da playing field.
Not be "luck" based, make it on effort and results.
Forcing more online play, so more time outlay.
Actually making ppl use thier brains/min IQ required to get max reward.

Better, well thats pretty easy ..... like :
More engaging to the player, no long lulls ....
Balancing outlay of time/rewards earned.
having (1) 1x1 per event, event specific, as an event completion badge.
Not same 'ole same 'ole, more variety is event structures/prizes.
More 2-3 day popup events.
1 xtra week between events, 2 weeks min, to combat player burnout....
Better progression of tasks in tasklist, add new ones, better variety.

The list can be endless, but to Soggy's point ....
Yes, events shud be harder, but still doable for ave (f2p) players,
but harder in nuanced ways..... and certainly not what Inno currently
thinks harder is..... like, losing more troops in a fight rather than the
fight itself being harder to win. ( thats not harder, just more expensive )
having a stage 10 Evolve, or having a whole set, should be a badge of
honor, and be something players can be proud of having, rather than
just saying , spend xxx $$$ and you too can be in the club of cool ppl....

( and when I say doable ) I mean for lets say 30% of the top active players.
No, I don't think everyone will/should get everything if they are lazy/dumb.
Thats where spending diamonds comes in..... If you don't wanna work for
the reward, and have it be a challange.... just spend diamonds... easy-peasy.

I was crushed 1 event ago, when as a xtra daily, Black Lotus was offered....
That bldg is specifically for top ranking FSs in a FA and never should be offered
outside that environment... now when I see 1 in a city .... I'll always wonder....
did they kick butt in a FA, or just get 1 from that 1 event, and quickly my
brain won't register those in ppls cities as something that stands out......

The problem with making events "harder" in the classic sense.... is there are
more dumb ppl than smart ppl, and ya don't wanna alienate ppl based on
thier IQ, but many ppl find 0 challange the way it is now... and you also cannot
alienate those ppl either.....

Personally I think the Beta server is misused, it should be just for making sure
everything works correctly, not over time just used as xtra free practice on an
event ahead of time.... Certainly not to pre release exact task lists. Without
long slog how, tasks should never be known ahead of time....... Yes it can b done.

Insert Tab A into Slot C , success is only on completion, not how long it takes
to figure out how.... So when something is "complete'able", that only says
it "can be done" , not that everyone can figure it out and might need help from
other players....... wink/wink.... not from a glorified cheatsheet.

Doing all 75 tasks, should be more exclusive/harder ..... ( but doable )
( with a known tasklist, is so darn easy its rediculious. )
@ that point it should take a few brain cells to then get the main reward,
but certainly NOT be based on some RNG.
( does Inno even have a 3rd party tested/certified RNG ??? )

SoggyShorts

"Harder" can mean many things..... like :
Not having tasklist or beta, and just "wing'n it" while you play.
Not playing Beta @all, therefore ..... no free practice, level da playing field.
The way things currently are there's no difference between Beta and Live.
The lists we produce are only really useful for casual players who want to mostly ignore the event.
I'm just as fast getting to the locked quests on Beta since they are all the same every event. Just set 6-10 of each production, have some tournament provinces ready and you can complete the first 50 tasks in a row.
Yes, events shud be harder, but still doable for ave (f2p) players,
( and when I say doable ) I mean for lets say 30% of the top active players.
No, I don't think everyone will/should get everything if they are lazy/dumb.
The only thing I disagree with really is the number. For the ability to complete a more difficult quest list there's pretty much a tie for the top 80%* of active players, so a system that would cut off the bottom 70% wouldn't really be achievable.

*Back when quest lists were harder (and I walked in the snow uphill both ways) at least 80% still managed.