• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Dwarven bulwark

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
As a primarily combat player, I placed the DB when I first got it in my first city, upgraded it to lvl 7, then stopped upgrading once I got Shrooms. I look at both those AW's for training size and consider the troops a 'bonus'. That means, for me, Shrooms gives more of what I want for the amount of kp invested. I also have 5 fully leveled armories. Higher training size means I carry an inventory of >999 of my most used Barracks and Training Grounds troops and >750 of my most used Merc Camp troops.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
As a primarily combat player, I placed the DB when I first got it in my first city, upgraded it to lvl 7, then stopped upgrading once I got Shrooms. I look at both those AW's for training size and consider the troops a 'bonus'. That means, for me, Shrooms gives more of what I want for the amount of kp invested. I also have 5 fully leveled armories. Higher training size means I carry an inventory of >999 of my most used Barracks and Training Grounds troops and >750 of my most used Merc Camp troops.
If you have 5 fully leveled Armories and a high level Shrooms do you really need DB for your military buildings to be able to constantly train troops in the end game phase? Honest question, I have not gotten to that stage of the game yet. Just trying to figure out what to prioritize right now.

Pheryll

Set Designer
If you have 5 fully leveled Armories and a high level Shrooms do you really need DB for your military buildings to be able to constantly train troops in the end game phase? Honest question, I have not gotten to that stage of the game yet. Just trying to figure out what to prioritize right now.
The end game balance leans more in the bulwark's favor than the shrooms. The last few chapters have the training speed not keeping up with the squad size, and shrooms progression (by total level of armories) is linear while the bulwark (by squad size) is quadratic. That and squad size techs are no longer worthwhile to skip.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Henroo
Right now, no. I had the space, so I just kept it. And I knew the penalty for taking optional SS upgrades had been complained about since before I started playing, so I figured they might change that at some point. Like @Pheryll mentioned, since the tourney changes, I've been going back and taking all the optional SS upgrades. They've all got the kp in them, but I save the 'activate' to use in event quests. I stopped at the end of Ch15 in my oldest city (?late winter/early spring? 2020) so having them for 'complete a research' has been helpful. I'm looking at maybe moving into Ch16 in another month or so (will probably unlock Adv Scouts for next major event) and by then it will probably become more beneficial to start working on upgrading the DB again.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The dwarven bulwark, when equally leveled with needles of the tempest, flying academy, and victory springs gets better the more levels you place in them. For chapter 17 with no armories, having all these wonders at level 13 gives 6 hours of training time; for all of them at level 30, 9 hours of training time.
Would you mind going deeper into the numbers on this, please? I can't seem to get the same results.

Pheryll

Set Designer
Would you mind going deeper into the numbers on this, please? I can't seem to get the same results.
Sure.

Squad size at end of chapter 17 (all techs taken) = 6054
Base training speed (troops per 12 min) of barracks/training grounds/merc camp at end of chapter 17 = 500, which is 2500 per hour
Number of training slots = 5
Level 13 dwarven bulwark percent = 75% squad size
Level 30 dwarven bulwark percent = 150% squad size
Level 13 needles/victory spring/flying academy bonus = +50% speed
Level 30 needles/victory spring/flying academy bonus = +100% speed

Level 13 calculation: hours of training = 6054 (SS) * 0.75 (DB) * 5 (slots) / (2500 (base speed) * 1.5 (speed bonus)) = 6.054 hours.
Level 30 calculation: hours of training = 6054 (SS) * 1.5 (DB) * 5 (slots) / (2500 (base speed) * 2 (speed bonus)) = 9.081 hours.

Edit: If you wish the end of chapter 16 numbers they are 5.91 hours, and 8.86 hours, respectively. I realize that I did not use the miniscule base training size of 6 in my calculation which would have given a slight increase to the time.

maeter75

I went with the shrooms instead, found it more useful. I seem to get a lot of the expiring buildings for archers so total win.

Silver Lady

I just built a DB yesterday. Wow, what a difference even for level one...

I placed my DB about a week ago and what a difference to replenishing my troops, even at level 1. I sold off 1 armory leaving me 2 and added 2 Orc Nests and so far I have enough Orcs. If I get short I planned to chapter up my Witches Hut before adding anything else. I’m in the Orcs chapter, just for context.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I placed my DB about a week ago and what a difference to replenishing my troops, even at level 1. I sold off 1 armory leaving me 2 and added 2 Orc Nests and so far I have enough Orcs. If I get short I planned to chapter up my Witches Hut before adding anything else. I’m in the Orcs chapter, just for context.
It's amazing how much it adds; one DB is much better than an armory, plus you get free troops and you free up pop. It's a win-win. Sounds like we've made a good decision.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
The upgrade to the Witch Hut is very much worth doing. It takes up the same amount of space as 2 Orc Nests side by side. But if your Witch Hut is stage 4 or higher it is going to produce more orcs than both Orc Nests combined. Plus upgrading it will increase the Frogs it gives you and give you more population and culture. Keep in mind that you will need orcs for the rest of the game, they are the 1st guest race resource that carries through to future chapters.

Laochra

I had one for a while. but then I opted for straight catering--it was more convenient when I was running 7 cities & trying to keep up with 7 tournaments. RL got busier, so I retired most of my cities & I still cater in the ones I am still running.