• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Easter 2018 Set Buildings (SPOILERS!)

Check out Gamers Gems of Knowledge guide to the Phoenix Cult event: https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/phoenix-cult

If you scroll down about half way, it talks about the Burning Pool.

Thanks so much! I checked out that site but somehow blew right past the overview. The burning pool looks cool, and is a good mana producer.

I'm disappointed in the culture/pop buildings, not really much population offered. I wonder if another culture/pop building will come up later in the event, or if the two on the overview page are the only ones that will be offered.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Thanks so much! I checked out that site but somehow blew right past the overview. The burning pool looks cool, and is a good mana producer.

I'm disappointed in the culture/pop buildings, not really much population offered. I wonder if another culture/pop building will come up later in the event, or if the two on the overview page are the only ones that will be offered.

2 of the grand prize buildings have population. I think they did a really good job on this event :) It looks to me like the prizes cover all of our bases and the prizes look very nice. Really looking forward to this one!

2 of the grand prize buildings have population. I think they did a really good job on this event :) It looks to me like the prizes cover all of our bases and the prizes look very nice. Really looking forward to this one!

True, the grand prizes do provide a better population boost than the daily prizes. And they are a set, so putting all three together will provide even more bonuses! Thankfully the lighthouse and pavilion aren't all that big, so adding them to increase the bonuses won't take too much space.

kctanzen

Not being in a mana chapter yet (researching Fairy ancient wonders now so the end is in sight at least) -- I am reaching out to the math and min / max wizards who frequently pop around on the forums :)

I have 3 of the winter set buildings and I used the double days to ensure that I got enough bits for the 3rd grand prize.

Is there *that* much of a difference trying to get this updated set (assuming I make it to orc flag first of course) and finding a way to wedge it into my city or would I likely be better off leaving that as is and focusing on upgrading similar size buildings that are getting out of date.

Doing that approach would mean not worrying so much about double days and getting buildings of specific sizes to replace older ones in that footprint.

DeletedUser9601

Not being in a mana chapter yet (researching Fairy ancient wonders now so the end is in sight at least) -- I am reaching out to the math and min / max wizards who frequently pop around on the forums :)

I have 3 of the winter set buildings and I used the double days to ensure that I got enough bits for the 3rd grand prize.

Is there *that* much of a difference trying to get this updated set (assuming I make it to orc flag first of course) and finding a way to wedge it into my city or would I likely be better off leaving that as is and focusing on upgrading similar size buildings that are getting out of date.

Doing that approach would mean not worrying so much about double days and getting buildings of specific sizes to replace older ones in that footprint.

Great question, though a bit hard to determine without more info, like:
1. Which 3 winter set buildings do you have (I assume they're Fairies buildings)? If you have Frozen Fountain, Orc Vortex and Troll, its a different analysis than Giants Hands.
2. What does your city layout look like (i.e., how many tier 1, 2 and 3s; how much military)?
3. How does your city progress feel (i.e., do you usually run out of goods, or supplies, or gold)?
4. Do you have a good stockpile of Tier 3 goods?
5. How much space is devoted to old culture or pop/culture buildings? In Orcs, you're going to be deleting a lot of these buildings.

The other thing to think about is what your city needs for Orcs. When I did Orcs, I found I needed tons of A. Space, and B. Supplies. I was running lots of PoP spells because the guest race buildings are supply-intensive, and you also need to constantly spend supplies to produce orcs in your new armories.

If you got to Orcs and bought all 3 grand prizes, and connected them to have 2x bonuses on all 3 buildings, you'd have, in 36 total squares:
1,600 Pop (44.4/sq)
3,170 Culture (88/sq)
324 Tier 1 (9/sq)
846 Tier 2 (23.5/sq)
820 Tier 3 (22.8/sq)
The "per square" averages don't look great, but its important to remember that tier factories require a lot of population, supplies, and culture to support. So while you may be making significantly more goods in your boosted factory, it is also costing your city significantly more.

Like I said, its hard to gauge whether these buildings make sense for you, especially when we haven't seen all the daily prizes yet. Feel free to give more info and we can discuss. My gut would probably be to ignore the set building for Orcs, though. Space is just at such a premium (unless you've bought a lot of diamond expansions), that I'd rather have another 3-4 mushroom farms, and then get some super-efficient culture buildings to tuck into the corner of my city (and not have to worry about road connections).

kctanzen

Great question, though a bit hard to determine without more info, like:
1. Which 3 winter set buildings do you have (I assume they're Fairies buildings)? If you have Frozen Fountain, Orc Vortex and Troll, its a different analysis than Giants Hands.
2. What does your city layout look like (i.e., how many tier 1, 2 and 3s; how much military)?
3. How does your city progress feel (i.e., do you usually run out of goods, or supplies, or gold)?
4. Do you have a good stockpile of Tier 3 goods?
5. How much space is devoted to old culture or pop/culture buildings? In Orcs, you're going to be deleting a lot of these buildings.

The other thing to think about is what your city needs for Orcs. When I did Orcs, I found I needed tons of A. Space, and B. Supplies. I was running lots of PoP spells because the guest race buildings are supply-intensive, and you also need to constantly spend supplies to produce orcs in your new armories.

Like I said, its hard to gauge whether these buildings make sense for you, especially when we haven't seen all the daily prizes yet. Feel free to give more info and we can discuss. My gut would probably be to ignore the set building for Orcs, though. Space is just at such a premium (unless you've bought a lot of diamond expansions), that I'd rather have another 3-4 mushroom farms, and then get some super-efficient culture buildings to tuck into the corner of my city (and not have to worry about road connections).

Woopsie -- I'm still getting the hang of forum postings.
I'm trying to figure out how to make a signature block, to include a link for my elvenarchitect layout.
I realize I will have to update that frequently too.

I missed out on the Hand, but have one set of the other 3 winter buildings and those are a mix of dwarf / fairy levels as I was waiting on the flippin' granite workers to come back from lunch-- they were very slow.

I have been very goods focused but am switching to a more balanced hybrid city to help my tourney capability - and knowing I would want at least 2 level 20+ armories for orc breeding grounds. I recently put in Needles, Dwarven Bulwark, and Martial Monastery wonders, not working on upgrading them as yet. I have a level 2 Lighthouse (still miffed about that one), Golden Abyss and Mountain Halls as well, the 2 latter are what I put research into when taking things slower on tech or if I'm waiting on guest race goods.

I took advantage of 2 100% diamond offers over the last several months, upgrading builder, magic academy, and the rest on expansion plots and have 10 of the diamond purchased plots now.

Most of my factories aren't chapter maxed either -- it seemed that I was getting a better bang leaving them smaller sized and not needing to get larger support systems too (pop / supplies).
My play style is popping on frequently for small bits of time, rarely gone more than 6-7 hours at a time.

I'm also working diligently to break my addiction to pop / culture hybrid buildings -- they are handy at the time of placement but age pretty rapidly and don't upgrade (even if the fabled blueprint option comes around, I'm not in a position to regularly get them) = upgrade options are getting lucky with a new event building that fits in the same footprint that actually has better stats than the old one.

Goods are what I tend to run out of now, due to a lot of tourney participation = have yet to run out of supplies (fudged a couple of times and used a supply instant from events past)

Taking my time through guest race sections doesn't bother me at all -- I like the producing / trading aspects of the game and the slower progress lets me put more KP into wonders, my own and others.

I also realize that when / if I get to a mana chapter, the whole mess gets turned upside down too!!

Last edited:

DeletedUser3507

Your correct there, you just can't imagine the fun you have in store for you. I am finishing up chapter 12, and 12 is a beast.. You must take in to consideration what's vital to your city, and basically trash the rest.

In my case I didn't have to go to extremes, and kept most of everything but, my city is maximum allowable size.

DeletedUser9601

So there's a lot to unpack in your post, and I am also bad at using quotes, so I won't go line-by-line. I also don't like to give unsolicited on total city overhauls.

But generally I'd say you'd be better served in Orcs dumping your level 1/2 wonders (CL, Needles, MM, Bulwark) and using that space for guest race goods. You'll suffer a bit in your tourney play and army growth, but its probably a good tradeoff. If you log in every 6-7 hours, you should probably have little recruiting downtime with 2 max armories, and the level 1 bonuses of MM don't make a "huge" difference.

Similarly, I'd focus on getting everything to "max-level." There are a few instances where it won't seem worth it, but as your population efficiency and culture efficiency naturally increase through each chapter, you're better served having 2-3 max tier factories than 4-6 sub-max.

The math varies for the factory type, but generally:
For instance, a level 15 marble factory produces 173/3 hours at 6 spaces. And it costs 356 population. A level 19 factory produces 373 and costs 1,050. When you factor in max-fairy residence size (68.75 pop/sq), and roads (but not including culture), you're getting about 13.84 marble per square at level 15, and 14.1 at level 19. Not a massive difference, but A. marble factories are the smallest, so this difference increases with larger-sized factories, and B. multiply that difference by your relevant boost.

Taking my time through guest race sections doesn't bother me at all -- I like the producing / trading aspects of the game and the slower progress lets me put more KP into wonders, my own and others.

One thing I'll say about Orcs. My last FS had 2 players who, like you, enjoyed slow progress. But Orcs, even if you min-max, is super-slow. Orcs basically ruined the game for them, because they were in the same (ugly) chapter for 6 months.

If you have 10ish premium expansions, you should be in good shape. Most guides recommend twice as many expansions for guest race buildings that you used in Dwarves/Fairies. If you comfortably can make that space, then going after the Phoenix set makes sense. It might not be the "best" use of space, but it also won't hamstring your progress.

I used Orcs as a time to really make my city "efficient," on a per square basis. Its a long slog of a chapter, and since you have an upgraded builder, you're going to have a lot of "hurry up and wait," situations where you spend a few days building up farms, then waiting on productions, then upgrading farms, then waiting, etc. But in Woodelves you are going to need the same guest race space (if not a bit more), and you need to make room for mana buildings. So during Orcs, I wanted to make my city as compact as possible (lining up all my residences and workshops on the short-side, maxing buildings, deleting inefficient buildings). So I ditched all my old cultural buildings, and all my pop/culture buildings except for the really great ones (mainly second and third grand prizes from the most recent event). I would think you'd be best served then, by focusing on the very efficient cultural buildings that are daily prizes and the first grand prize, and then deleting old culture and most pop/culture. Then you can build more residences if needed, and consolidate your factories.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3507

2nd Egg won
Screenshot_33.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8187

I have 423 essence to try for the lighthouses. Should I use the small chests?? I'll cross my fingers that my luck has changed from all previous events. I'll win the building I really really want.
As I was looking for culture buildings I'll either go for the instants or hold off and hope for a high culture building later down the road.

DeletedUser3507

Big chest have better odds, small chest have more chances to try.

ekarat

So what's the right challenge?

First, if the max-bonus set buildings are too easy to get, no one is going to be buying Sky Essences (which obviously the developers want to happen). Its almost always been that to get "the best" possible outcome from a major event, you'd need to spend $$$.

Second, these major events and FAs are becoming more and more all about tradeoffs. In your city, you can make a few choices:
-slow down guest race pace,
-delete some nice culture buildings for a bit more room (which culture buildings you're almost certainly going to improve upon if you complete the main quest line),
-not clear as many provinces as you want immediately,
-otherwise hold off building up other parts of your city.
In exchange, you get a really nice chance at a fantastic building set that will jump-start your city growth for 3-4 months. Only you can make that decision for yourself.
During the Winter Event, I held off on my guest race so I could complete 90% of the main quest line, and maximize the Mana Fountains I could win. I ended up with 16, and it skyrocketed my mana production. It trivialized mana during 2 chapters for me. So 2 weeks of delaying my tech tree was a worthwhile tradeoff.

If there's no tradeoffs or no hard decisions, why would there be a good prize at the end? Just for showing up?

I got it, but I got lucky. Day 2 is very early. It's less of an issue if it returns, though.

Now, watch me fail to get a phoenix pavillion due to RNG...

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I won it in 5 tries!!!!! :cool::D:D:D:D:D:D
I'm going to keep track this time around of all wins see how my odds go.
If you are tracking results, remember to always record
Starting essence, and ending essence.
Not # of boxes opened since winning "free" essence on rolls will skew the result.

For example you could have a player say "It took me 10 tries to win one!" But that isn't really true if they got 140 free ess on 9 of those 10 rolls.
to accurately compare, that player should say "It cost me 140 ess to win one"

Last edited:

DeletedUser8187

If you are tracking results, remember to always record
Starting essence, and ending essence.
Not # of boxes opened since winning "free" essence on rolls will skew the result.

For example you could have a player say "It took me 10 tries to win one!" But that isn't really true if they got 140 free ess on 9 of those 10 rolls.
to accurately compare, that player should say "It cost me 140 ess to win one"

UHHHHHH :confused:o_Oo_Oo_O:confused::confused::confused:
This is what I have so far
2-lighthouses, 2-33% supply instant, 2-140 essence, 1-50 essence, 2-light range thingies
To late to track starting and ending, and I included my 140 essence win yesterday in my 5 tries to win 1 lighthouse :oops:

My ending essence is 1, so I can try and do all that extra work starting now!

LayDHawk

I got it, but I got lucky. Day 2 is very early. It's less of an issue if it returns, though.

Now, watch me fail to get a phoenix pavillion due to RNG...
normally i am pretty positive about the events, such as this.... not this time!5 or 6 clicks and nothing but kp or instants. i've stopped trying! thanks INNO

DeletedUser6375

Anyone do any testing, or a good gut feeling about which bonus buildings for tournaments (given maybe a planks tourny and maybe trying to reach 4-5k) is the best between : Enlightened Light Range, Unleashed Unit Upgrade, or Magnificent Mage Multiplier? (mostly between light range and unleashed i'm guessing). Last time i did a tourny i used 6 unleashed to get over 6k points, but i kinda felt it was overkill. Maybe a combo of them like 2 unleashed 2 range? Any opinions or experiences welcome.