• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elf or Human Are they that different?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
A player asked if he/she could switch his/her city from human to elf. I know there are a few slight differences -- like a couple pairs of AW's named differently, and that the artwork can be very different. I also know some of the strength/weaknesses of the fighting units can vary. But overall, I believe, aren't the two versions pretty much the same? I have one human and one elf and other than the things mentioned I can't say that one is better than the other unless you have a particular style of play that maximizes the small differences. So what style of play is benefited by being a human and what is style is benefited by being an elf? Or does it really make no difference in the long run?

AJ

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Nope. Until you get the research done in chapter 8, there are big differences in size and direction for residences and workshops and factories. This is why in really old tutorials for the game, you will see recommendations for placing expansions that a human city stay as square as possible and an elf city to go rectangular. After all the buildings start having the same dimensions in chapter 9, the only real difference is the quality of the barracks troops.

DeletedUser29768

Well, the shapes of the buildings are different for the first few chapters. For example, the elven planks manufactory is 2x1 at level 1, but the human version is 2x2. The marble, scrolls, silk, elixir, and magic dust manufactories also have different sizes, and the same applies to the barracks, trader, residences, and workshops. These differences disappear later in chapter 8 (I believe it's about at level 20 for most buildings), but they can still be significant in certain situations, such as building level 1 manufactories for fellowship adventures. Culture buildings are also different for the first five chapters. Finally, there are a few buildings that remain different throughout the game, including the Builders' Hut, Magic Academy, and Great Bell Spire/Crystal Lighthouse. These are the only ones that have much effect in the long run, and it's probably not particularly significant. Other than that, Enevhar's right, troops are the only difference post-chapter 8.

hvariidh gwendrot

the styles of play can fit either human or elf as far as mostly or all combat/negotiate, that all depends on how the build of the city is done.. and certain differences remain even after ch 8 .. the square vs rectangle thing is true, elf goes this way human goes that way to maximize bldg placements especially when in the lower chapters

The Unbeliever

Biggest difference is that the Human barracks units are generally hot garbage in comparison to their Elven counter-parts.
The lone real bright spot for Human players is that they do get the Priest, which is most definitely a god-tier unit, while Elves are kinda screwed into making do with Banshees until they can unlock Blossoms in Fairies chapter.

Human Xbows are usable, but are still arguably the weakest Light Ranged option.
Pallies were decent until V.Guards showed up and just do their job better, while it's best to not even bother listing off how horriawful both the Barbies + Mortars really are!:p

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Biggest difference is that the Human barracks units are generally hot garbage in comparison to their Elven counter-parts.
The lone real bright spot for Human players is that they do get the Priest, which is most definitely a god-tier unit, while Elves are kinda screwed into making do with Banshees until they can unlock Blossoms in Fairies chapter.

Pallies were decent until V.Guards showed up and just do their job better, while it's best to not even bother listing off how horriawful both the Barbies + Mortars really are!:p
But I think the Priests are a big enough deal to give humans a military advantage. They are the best mage unit in the game. Only 3 star Blossoms come close. And they are the only unit from the barracks for either humans or elves which can claim this status. For every other barracks unit of either humans or elves, there is a unit in the training ground or mercenary camp which is better. This offers a much greater deal of flexibility for a human player in terms of what units they produce in the mercenary camp late game. In my late game elven city I would say about 60% of the total output from my MC goes to making Blossom Mages. In my late game human cities, I don't have to make any Blossoms because I am using Priests as my mage unit. This frees up my human MCs to make a lot more Rangers, Frogs, and Vallarian Guards.

Huor

So far as a human player, I haven't needed the mercenary camp (yet). I do like the ranger for killing mages and my crossbows do a much better job against heavy's at this point (beginning chapter 8). The priest backed with a chicken or mage multiplier (or both) can do some serious damage. Maybe when my frogs upgrade and pass my mortars I will need the mercenary camp.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
For example, the elven planks manufactory is 2x1 at level 1, but the human version is 2x2.
They do make more in the same time than an elf factory of the same level because they are bulkier.

They act before an elf Archer, enemy Wild Archer, AND enemy Bandit though. This does make a significant difference, especially in higher provinces. For example, a Crossbowman lined up across a Bandit gets to shoot the Bandit first for a free hit. By the time the Bandit goes, he is potentially dead, reduced in stack size, or debuffed. An elf Archer lined up across from the same Bandit has to first take a hit. When it's the elf Archer's turn, he is reduced in stack and possibly debuffed. Therefore, even though the elf Archer does more damage on paper, it will do less damage than a Crossbowman in this scenario because its stack size would have been reduced by the time it's the Archer's turn to fire compared to a Crossbowman's fresh full stack. When you're in the higher provinces and greatly outnumbered so your stack can only take one or two hits, this makes a huge difference whether you're picking the Crossbowman, Archer, Ranger, or Dryad, even though they're all light range units.