• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elvenar on tablet?

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I almost always play Elvenar on my laptop. Problem is that I have a kind of big gaming laptop so I don't like it on my lap. I also use my iPhone for in between stuff but don't like it that small because my eyes aren't the greatest anymore. I'm wondering how well liked or disliked playing on a tablet is. I'm also wondering what tablet seems to be the best for this. I honestly don't know hardly anything about tablets because I've been on one PC or another most of the time since they were invented because of my profession before I retired. So, asking for some guidance.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
This is coming from someone who hates laptops and prefers desktops, lol, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.
I use a FireHD 8 and I have way fewer issues being able to see things than on the phone. That said, there are issues with this tablet (can't figure out how to download Puffin browser for example) since the app store is Amazon. Also, sometimes it seems I get the mobile updates later but haven't really looked for it in awhile.
I went with this tablet mainly because it was Amazon, is easy to sync with my Kindle as a back-up reader (like when I forget to charge the Kindle) and I wanted it to easily fit in my purse and not be too heavy. Otherwise, I'd have gone with the 10 instead of the 8.

Crow Last Elf

@Deborah M , I don't know much about tablets either but I play Elvenar on a Huawei MediaPad T5 which uses Android ver 8.0.0. The nice thing about it is that it has a 5.5"x8.5" screen and it is light, 460g, very easy to hold in one hand for long periods of time. Elvenar takes 1.2Gb of memory right now, fairly small, but I can't load other games that take a lot of internal memory.

Except when there is something specific that I need to go to the pc for, I like the freedom of taking the tablet with me.

I'm not sure how it works on other (better) devices, but when I visit another player's city, there is no animations for the buildings like the manu's. I see people walking around, but the buildings are not in motion.

Typing in inno's email system can sometimes be frustrating if you write long emails.
I am in the habit of saving my replies every sentence or so because if the mail service is updated, for a newly recieved email, any unsaved parts of the message is lost.
Also, service disruptions can kick you out of the game in the middle of composing and any email you are working on is lost.

NightshadeCS

I would suggest getting any kind of Android enabled tablet that strikes your fancy and works for other parts of your life.

My first tablets were Fires (the one put out by Amazon). I hated that they had a separate app store you had to use. You can hack it to use Google Play, but it is still clunky.

Otherwise, playing on a tablet is exactly the same as playing on a phone except the screen is bigger.

DeletedUser19439

My iPad is a perfect fit while in my recliner or anywhere else. With all the advancements to the app platform, I don’t even have to do a (weekly) checkin on the laptop for messages, sharing KP to FS AWs, etc.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@samidodamage So on a Fire can you also use it as a Kindle? I've got 2 Kindles although unsure where 1 even is. I'm not too interested in doing much with a tablet except games, Facebook & now maybe reading. All my spreadsheets, email, and other software I definitely prefer to keep on my monster laptop (Asus Rog 17" screen). It may as well be a desktop. It was a heavy pain when I took it to Europe! Sounds like probably Fire or iPad. My daughter loves her iPad but she doesn't play games so not much help at the moment.

T6583

I love my iPad. I have it linked with my iPhone so that apps I have on one transfer to the other. I even have the Kindle app on it for reading. I only use my iPad for games, Facebook, and reading.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Deborah M
Yes, it works great as a Kindle. I live in a rural area now, so power outages happen more often than when I lived in cities. My Kindle is a really old model (?2013?)and has no built-in light. So, I also use it for reading when there's a power outage. But, @NightshadeCS is right about the app store; it can be annoying.
Any tablet should be able to do this by just downloading the free Kindle app from Amazon on that device. My old tablet was an LG something I got through my cell phone plan as a promotional and it worked as a Kindle. It didn't automatically sync with my other devices, though and I'd have to force it. Sometimes it was quicker to just flip through the pages and/or Table of Contents to figure out where I had left off reading on the Kindle, lol!

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Ouch!! My Son just told me how much my grandkids love their iPads. I feel old ;) The Fire sounds practical though. Practical is something I seriously need to learn:rolleyes:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
My Son just told me how much my grandkids love their iPads.
Only have 1 grandson (he'll be 3 in July) and I got him the exact same tablet I have about a year ago lol! I spent more on his, getting the amazon subscriptions to children's content, a learning center and a really good kid-proof cover, and he loves it! He'll grow up never knowing what what it's like to not have electronic devices anyway and now his Mom gets to use her phone, lol!

BrinDarby

That said, there are issues with this tablet (can't figure out how to download Puffin browser for example) since the app store is Amazon.

Sidestep google/amazon ... go to the Puffin site... Puffin.com
I'm running 8.3 on a 10" android tablet, with OTB Keyboard/mouse.
There are quirks, but other than the Lag ( check elvenar settings )
I guess its not too bad...

Alpha Lyrae

Ouch!! My Son just told me how much my grandkids love their iPads. I feel old ;) The Fire sounds practical though. Practical is something I seriously need to learn:rolleyes:

No matter what tablet you get, you can download the Kindle app and read any of your books. I vote against a Fire because it's clunky to use and their app store stinks (IMO). I'd go with an iPad or an Android-based tablet.

Edit: And the Kindle app will sync among all your devices and even the Kindle Cloud reader on your browser.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
The big advantage of the mobile app is when you visit the people in your discovered territory it is just a few clicks. On my laptop and pc, I have to wait for their city to load and I find that tedious. So I visit those that always visit me on the regular on my pc, and hit everyone else on mobile.