• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elvenar Recipe contest

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Hey, Crackie, I was thinking that just tonight after I made my funny fire bird. I was thinking, "Heck, for what I spent on the ingredients, I could have bought myself the diamonds." But it wouldn't have been half the fun! This was the first time in my life I ever made fondant. It really turned out like playdoh, so at least one scary cooking item is now under my belt. It may have turned out to be a funny fire phoenix, but I won't be scared of fondant again. That's something! :)
I am waiting to see if there are any sous chefs available for hire first, and by that, I mean my 5yo niece. If she helps to create it, she might help eat it (maybe?) to reduce food waste. After all, people react to my cooking the same way they react to hers, but she’ll still eat those frightening looking cookies that she leaves out for Santa. Also, I hear child labo(u)r is really cheap.
Ooooh another spicy disaster? This gets better and better! :D
@Hueanthar heard the rest of the breadcrumb substitution story (perk of being in my FS) and I think she will agree that I am capable of epic level disasters in the kitchen, even without Banshees around.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Hey, Helya; I hope I'm okay in the contest. It says you need one list of ingredients. But I separated mine out for the cake, frosting and fondant. It's kinda one list, just in three sections. If that's not right let me know if I messed up. Thanks.
You're fine, no need to worry.

Mirai

well, this contest is exclusionary. I can't give yall my fudge recipe. It has been a closely guarded secret since I started making it, and that is all that I am good at lol I make vegan cream gravy from scratch, but mostly I eat raw, steamed, or frozen stuff. If the winner is a real recipe that is deemed to be the best, I'm out.
I would adore to learn your vegan cream gravy, if you can share it: I absolutely love to feed the vegans in my life, and make sure there are good CHOICES at any potluck. Not that there have been many potlucks since the Before TImes, but one never knows.

Tehya1

I would adore to learn your vegan cream gravy, if you can share it: I absolutely love to feed the vegans in my life, and make sure there are good CHOICES at any potluck. Not that there have been many potlucks since the Before TImes, but one never knows.
Okay, you talked me into it. I need to make a batch. I doubt it will win, but I will share it for the sake of your plant based people. :)

If I shared my fudge recipe, I would have to kill you. lol

Revo1

Chef
Banana Fairy Shake
1/4 cup milk
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
1 diced strawberry
Some banana slices
Walnuts
Chocolate syrup
Sprinkles
Whipped cream (homemade)

Just mix it all together, and put the whipped cream and sprinkles on top.

IMG_20220616_122935.jpg

crackie

I went to the grocery store today and there's already been an incident before I've made it to the kitchen. We were expecting company over and were supposed to pick up a few items last minute before they arrived. It was intended to be a quick in-and-out operation. I thought I'd tag along to get some last minute items for the recipe contest too. I opted for self-checkout as I only had 3 items, but somehow managed to screw that up and it halted checkout to call over an employee for assistance. Now I'm getting eye rolls (I'm very good at collecting these) from my party for the delay because this was supposed to be a quick trip. Tick tock and chop chop! The employee overrides my machine and I'm cleared to finish and pay. It spat out my receipt and in my haste to leave, I yanked at it quickly. To my horror, the entire spindle of receipt paper flew out of the machine, whizzed past my head, stayed airborne for another 15 feet before landing on the ground and unrolling itself for what felt like miles because it was rolling so fast. I watched with bated breath as it almost caught up to an unsuspecting customer up ahead, but OH NOES the customer is headed for the exit!!! When I saw the automatic doors flung open, I took off after the runaway receipt, but I was too slow and too late. It rolled out of the store and I had to fetch it outside! Nothing to see here, folks, but if you want to know which idiot made this mess, just follow the 3-mile strip of bright white paper from the self-checkout to the parking lot and look for the person holding it at the other end. I'm thinking I don't have time to roll this neatly back up into a spool so I'm just going to grab it and hand it all back to that poor employee, covering her up in mounds of receipt paper like a mummy. My friend's doubled over laughing and was not at all helpful.

Friend: Did you just self-checkout with 3 items and needed assistance twice?
Me: Yeah, let's just get out of here...

Respect your grocery clerks, people. They are essential workers and not paid enough to deal with some customers. :oops:

crackie

I am truly enjoying everyone's interesting take on Elvenar Food.
Today, I had Flaming Hot Cheetos for the first time and I entered a Recipe Contest for the first time. Thank you, Elvenar and forum people, for making me step outside my comfort zone (but I draw the line at books!).
My brother wouldn't loan me his children to be my sous chefs, something about not trusting what I'm up to because my niece has too many food allergies, but there's one person that I can always depend on to pull through no matter what, and she apparently likes corn a lot.
4-D2-ACDB7-2-BCC-4-F13-9-FF1-796-E7-D90-F516.jpg

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Well, blow me away. I did think the whole recipe was to be completely invented. Would have been easier if I'd have read this thread first! LOL. Anyway my recipe is completely invented. I don't watch cooking shows and while I have a few cook books, I been cooking for so long I rarely look anything up. Which is maybe why 4 out of 5 things I create have to be done several times to get right....hmmmm.... I guess should be watching those on-line chefs and reading those books more.

[Subscribes to the Cooking Channel, takes out cook book and starts to read---"What? Bread uses flour! Who would have thought? All that peanut butter wasted. No wonder my bread is rather heavy!"]

AJ

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
well, this contest is exclusionary. I can't give yall my fudge recipe. It has been a closely guarded secret since I started making it, and that is all that I am good at lol I make vegan cream gravy from scratch, but mostly I eat raw, steamed, or frozen stuff. If the winner is a real recipe that is deemed to be the best, I'm out.

My daughter is vegan and on holidays, when she visits, I cook vegan. The whole vegan market has grown so much and gotten so much better I'm actually thinking of switching....if I can get the texture of tofu to work right. But, in the mean time I've had to invent a lot of interesting vegan recipes for everything from ice cream (coconut cream and garbonzo as the base), to lasagna. Along those lines I also have a daughter who doesn't eat wheat. So ask yourself how do you make banana bread without flour (the answer: egg plant). All of this has been a challenge but, to your point, even if you are vegan and/or don't want to eat wheat, you can create some pretty good recipes.

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Well, blow me away. I did think the whole recipe was to be completely invented. Would have been easier if I'd have read this thread first! LOL. Anyway my recipe is completely invented. I don't watch cooking shows and while I have a few cook books, I been cooking for so long I rarely look anything up. Which is maybe why 4 out of 5 things I create have to be done several times to get right....hmmmm.... I guess should be watching those on-line chefs and reading those books more.

[Subscribes to the Cooking Channel, takes out cook book and starts to read---"What? Bread uses flour! Who would have thought? All that peanut butter wasted. No wonder my bread is rather heavy!"]

AJ
Mine was a long-ago recipe that I tweaked to suit me over the years. I like making cakes and since my son's birthday was this month, it seemed like I was killing two birds with the same fondant. :)

Speaking of bread, it took me TWO YEARS to come up with a decent sandwich loaf. The first were rocks and the later ones crumbled, so don't feel bad, lol.

crackie

Last night I tried my ummm...creation...while watching TV. The first bite had more kick than I expected and cleared my sinuses since I didn't know what to expect, having never had Flaming Hot Cheetos before. Then it felt like a steady background burn in your mouth and throat. I was trying to get acquainted with the strange umami flavor profile of Flaming Hot Cheetos with marshmallows, but then all of a sudden, I got this unexpected burst of really sweet fruitiness (of an unidentified fruit) and my brain was just really confused as to what was going on in my mouth. Then I realized I had gotten a bite with Swedish Fish, which I had forgot were in there as there weren't that many in the box so you couldn't really see them on the outside. With a sigh of relief and slightly more understanding, my brain then wondered, "...and why ARE there Swedish Fish in there!?" I started cracking up at such thought, but in doing so, inhaled Flaming Hot Cheetos dust into the wrong pipe and started coughing too. While my body is trying to survive the taste test, my brain is again wondering, "Whyyyy do you do this to yourself??", which made me want to laugh even more. My friend thoughtfully paused the TV to ask me all startled, "OMG, are you okay??? Is it that bad?! Wait, are you choking or laughing?" By now, there are streams of tears flooding from my eyes too, both from laughing and feeling Flaming Hot Cheetos in my airways. Laughing. Definitely laughing. I explained to her what happened and my friend asked the same million dollar question..."Why is there Swedish Fish in there?" l mean, I started with marrying Flaming Hot Cheetos to marshmallows. Does it really matter what I add to it afterwards? As if Swedish Fish was the only thing wrong with my decision making flowchart. In the end, I think I might have invented a snack even @helya wouldn't stockpile. But the best part is it's done and...
All players participating will win the "Chef" forum title!
YESSS! I'm going to be recognized as a Chef in the same light as @Mountain Mama's more palatable muffins for this! Good luck to all participants! I look forward to being banned from all kitchens and grocery stores after this.

p.s. The Aussie in my FS didn't know what Swedish Fish were and thought I added some sort of pickled herring into the mix. Monsters.