• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Event Production Quests Rebalancing

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
That's true, but let's do it anyways.

There are really only 2 possibilities
1. The shanty town is the best possible system.
2. It's not.

If it is, then that's it, discussion over.
If not there are only 2 possibilities:
1. We come up with a viable alternative that is preferable
2. We don't

Since there is possibly some disagreement on the first question, let's skip it and take a shot at the second question possibly giving us the answer to both.

Mostly quoting you because it gives me a starting point and nothing to do with your view or playstyle. :)

Anyway, Shanty Towns are optional.

If some players want to complete the entire sequential quest list in the first few days of a 25 to 30-day event and use a shanty town, that is fine. If some players are content to finish the final sequential quest on the final day of the event, that is fine too. I have done both, but I prefer to build as few extra buildings as I can for events. So the only time Inno annoys me with this and makes me feel forced to build more than I want, is when we get multiple quests in a row that all call for use of tier 1 factories, like those four straight in the added-on quests for the Phoenix event where each quest wanted a different production time good. In order for that to not take several days, I did put up enough buildings so that as the 48-hour productions finished, I had finished the other three quests also. And this ties into the spoiler lists, which is all they are to me once the event actually starts. I wait til the event has started and then I will scan the list and look for only the quests that require things that take at least 24 hours to complete, like scouting and research and production, and then I will plan ahead a little for them.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Shanty Towns are optional.
I don't see how that adds anything. We all know they (like everything else) are optional and that they let you complete events more quickly- that isn't in question.

The question is "can we do better?"
Is there a viable tweak or alternative that will increase the enjoyment for players while making shanty towns obsolete?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
That's true, but let's do it anyways.
Okay, I'll go back to the stonehenge model I suggested last year.

First day of event, level one event building becomes available (wood-post circle) becomes available. Use the flowers gathered in the periphery to make "t1 production" (call it woad ale)in the wood henge. A certain number of those productions (say five one day production runs) are required to level the henge to 2 (or whatever) Doesn't matter how many factories or workshops you build, the only way to speed it up is timer instants or diamonds.

Once at level two (Wood circle and stone "U"), it uses the gathered woad flowers to make a "t2" event production (call it woad cider) A certain number of woad cider must be made to level the building to three.

Once it is at level three (Stone circle and stone "U"), it can use woad flowers to make "t3" event production say "Woad wine". A certain number of woad wine are required to level the building to 4 (Full henge, with animated sun/fireball blazing above it), at which time it makes "t4 event production" (say "Woad Ambrosia")

Out of quests numbered (say 100), Quest 25 requires having the henge at level 2. Quest 50 Requires having the henge at level 3, and quest 75 requires having the henge at level 4.

No matter how many dozens of workshops and manufactories you have, you can not get past quest 25 without having your henge at level 2, which requires avout 5 one-day runs of woad-spirits.

Now we have a state where each level of the event building requires five one-day productions, and the building takes a day to build/level, and that means no-one can get to quest 75 without having taken 18 days to get there, unless they spent diamonds or timer instants to accelerate their spirits. Quantity of workshops and factories are only relevant to the in-between quests, which don't have to be particularly time consuming, because you always have about five days to complete them.

Go to a hybrid model where the event currency can be used to either "purchase" buildings at any point, or be used to spin a wheel (to have a better, but random) chance for each building. All of the special beuildings are available every day, so that when you complete the event has no affect on your ability to get prizes. You can pick the wishing well on day 28 for 200 "blue ink" or the 14 hours timer instant for 200 "blue ink," or for 50 blue ink, you can spin the wheel for a chance at any random daily prize, giving you four daily prizes for 200, (or other random high-value items, like free woad flowers) but no control over which four they are.

Now:
  • The only way to speed the event past 18 days is diamonds or instants.
  • Nobody has to worry about missing a particular building, because the same buildings are available every day
That's a more succinct version of the proposal on Beta that got 27 yes votes and one no.

DeletedUser20951

There is an obvious problem with this though: How many max level factories are we expected to have? I have 1 and am considering going down to zero. Would I then be completely borked by your idea? Same goes for Workshops. Either event buildings & wonders that give massive supplies become useless since we are forced to keep X max level workshops anyways for events, or....?
Yes, this is definitely a problem with the idea, but I do think more emphasis on returning relevance to factories would be nice. Don't think this is a fair way to do that, though.
The difference being, that even though I was fully aware of your use, I'm not the one who tried to shut down disagreement by diversion instead of response.
Actually, that's exactly what you were doing. The last couple pages have been nothing but pure nonsense of combating fallacies that I have played along with for entertainment purposes, not because it has any other value. You frequently jump into conversations with, as far as I can tell, the intention of detracting from the conversation, and not to contribute. You have no doubt noticed that I have put the bare minimum of effort into my replies to you, since I feel that is all that they are warranted. We can keep childishly batting, "No, you are." back and forth, but you pretending any kind of moral superiority is ridiculous.
Anyway, Shanty Towns are optional.
I don't often consider choosing to cripple my progress and completion as a viable option, but this is technically accurate.

(darker text easier to read? I like the uneven quality)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
(darker text easier to read? I like the uneven quality)
YES, DARKER IS EASIER TO READ THAN GREY, BUT POSTING IN ALL BOLD OR CAPS IS STILL ANNOYING.

I too would like to use a larger font for just my posts as that draws attention and makes my posts seem more important than the posts of others-- but that isn't appropriate, and is in fact against the rules.;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
They should always be an option for a player to use. I worry about the mental health of anyone with the pathological need to build a shanty town because they HAVE to finish as quickly as possible.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
you pretending any kind of moral superiority is ridiculous.)
It would be. I'm fully aware that I'm not (on average) morally superior to anyone here. What I am better at is, when I have a suggestion*, inviting people to point out the issues with it (and not assuming their opinions are invalid they like things the way they are) so it can be improved by the collective, rather going on the attack when they bring up anything that detracts from my opinions.

* Not always, because I'm as confident of my opinions as anyone else

DeletedUser20951

is in fact against the rules
Really? I've seen that as a rule in many forums, but can't recall it being present here. I'll have to go look again.

But, aye, the main point of text modification is to be a special snowflake, and surely I have more annoying habits than the all caps I employ at times for flavor.

DeletedUser20951

Please stop.
Your request is denied, since it isn't actually explicitly against forum rules. Woo!

There was this, though:

"On the other hand it is not allowed to make uninvited remarks about typos, writing styles, etc. If the grammar/spelling of a user is that bad, that the content gets lost, you can use the "report post" feature to report the post, an admin or mod will then deal with it."

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
and is in fact against the rules.;)
I don't think the bold text is specifically against the rules. I might not like it, and I might think it ought to be agaisnt the rules, but I don't think there's anything specific other than the all-caps one.

There is the general admonishment to understand that there are lots of people on the forums, some of whom don't have English as a first language (and others of whom may have vision problems), but all bold is not prohibited.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Actually, that's exactly what you were doing. The last couple pages have been nothing but pure nonsense of combating fallacies that I have played along with for entertainment purposes, not because it has any other value.
I think if you looked at my posts impartially, you'd find that their general tenor is simply disagreement with you about what Inno is up to and why. I researched their financials a year or two ago over a different debate, and encountered information about their degree of profitability and the awards they'd one for data collection, and it causes me to look at their activity in a different light than a lot of people. When it comes to commercial ventures, I think I tend to look more-carefully-than-average at what companies are trying to accomplish before assuming that I know what they are doing. It also triggers a pet peeve when people state suppositions as though they are de facto correct, especially if I can think of other reasons that are as likely to be correct.

DeletedUser20951

I'm asking nicely for you to please stop.
While asking nicely is polite, that doesn't mean I am obligated to obey. I have made the concession of darkening the text to make it easier to read, as that does concern me, but if you want me to stop now just because you don't like the difference, nope.

shimmerfly

Wow. I've tried to read most if not all of this thread as written but had to go back and read a whole day after being gone.
It's been a long hard read.
I personally never had a problem with the level one buildings. or people building them. Never really cared if the knowledge of a list was considered cheating. I thought about it for about 5 minutes and figured...your business.
I never expected to win all the prizes when I was in the early chapters of the game. Had no knowledge of the lists or forum. Figured I was learning and lucky to get what I got. It was all helpful after all.
In my opinion Only......You can play any way you want to and should.
How it affects me or anyone else doesn't really matter. How you walk down the street doesn't matter as long as your not physically or mentally harming someone. I do not care if you jump, skip run or walk backwards or upside down.
It is upsetting to me that people are probably intimidated by thread like this when they come to the forum to see what the forum is about. It was very helpful to me even being the butthead I am, and I thank the long time players/payers for the help and advice.
I feel this has gotten out of hand and to the point of no return if not stopped. Beating that dead horse won't make it get up from either side. It's up to you BUT.....
I understand both "sides" and neither matter. It's Inno's game and we are just the players, pawns, spenders whatever. over and out. :p

Edited for typos but not all of them

Last edited:

DeletedUser20951

Not because it's different, because it's still hard to read. on the eyes.
How about non-bolded? I'm actually of the other mind, in that I find the default text difficult to read, due to lack of contrast and the undefined nature of Arial. Will perhaps tinker more later, and this has been fun, but I must be off.