• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Evolving Brown Bear vs evolving Polar Bear

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I am looking at the stage values of each of them and it seems to me that there is a lot more value in evolving a Brown Bear compared to evolving a Polar Bear. A stage 1 Brown Bear gives you a 5% bonus in troops when fed, while a stage 10 BB gives you a 50% bonus. Thus the feeding effect of a fully evolved BB is 10 times as great as the feeding effect of a stage 1 BB.

A stage 1 Polar Bear gives you a 10% reduction in tournament cooldown when fed. A stage 10 PB gives a 20% reduction in tournament cooldown. The feeding effect of a fully evolved PB is only twice as great as that of a level 1 PB. Which is a much less dramatic increase than the Brown Bear shows when evolved. Thus in terms of bang for your buck, it seems like there is a lot more value to be found in evolving a Brown Bear than in evolving a Polar Bear. Am I missing something here?

Kekune

No, I don't think so, except that I don't judge a building's value in that way. If your goal is to get one as leveled as possible, I'd just compare the value of the expected endpoints. But I suppose the flip side of that math is if you want to have a level 1 polar bear in your city to shave off tourney time, it's not the worst use of space. :)

Deleted User - 3932582

A stage 1 Polar Bear gives you a 10% reduction in tournament cooldown when fed. A stage 10 PB gives a 20% reduction in tournament cooldown. The feeding effect of a fully evolved PB is only twice as great as that of a level 1 PB. Which is a much less dramatic increase than the Brown Bear shows when evolved. Thus in terms of bang for your buck, it seems like there is a lot more value to be found in evolving a Brown Bear than in evolving a Polar Bear. Am I missing something here?
Their percentages apply to a fundamentally different characteristics, you can't compare these directly. One is a multiplier, another one is a capped reducer. When you add 5% to troop production boost all you get is this 5%. If your time reduction is at 90%, and you add 5% reduction there, you reduced your waiting time by a factor of 2. If you add 10%, you effectively reduced your waiting time by infinitely large factor, as your waiting time is now zero. And there is a qualitative difference between 1.6 hours waiting time between tournament rounds and no waiting at all.

P.S. I am not arguing that one should prioritize Polar instead of Brown, I am pointing out that their percentages are not directly comparable.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
. If your time reduction is at 90%, and you add 5% reduction there, you reduced your waiting time by a factor of 2. If you add 10%, you effectively reduced your waiting time by infinitely large factor, as your waiting time is now zero.
But it is not a 90% reduction. It is a 10% reduction. You will still wait for 90% of the original cooldown. Fully leveled you get a 20% reduction. Which means you wait for 80% of the original time. This is nowhere near the factor of 2 you are citing.

Deleted User - 3932582

But it is not a 90% reduction. It is a 10% reduction. You will still wait for 90% of the original cooldown. Fully leveled you get a 20% reduction. Which means you wait for 80% of the original time. This is nowhere near the factor of 2 you are citing.
Um, I said if your time reduction is at 90% (e.g. Timewarp L30 + PB L1). Going from 90% reduction to 95% reduction is reducing waiting time by 2x.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@MinMax Gamer Oh, I understand what you are saying now. You did not mention anything about the Timewarp in your first post. Truth be told, I have not yet reached the point in the game where it is possible to even build a Timewarp, much less get one to level 30. If I am understanding what a L30 Timewarp does correctly, it seems to me that if a player has one of these they would have little need of the Polar Bear in the first place.

And really, I don't see how Timewarp applies to my original point. I was looking at how much benefit you get from evolving a Brown Bear vs evolving a Polar Bear.

Deleted User - 3932582

On the contrary, Polar Bears are very much synergetic with TimeWarp. In fact, I'd say that if you don't have TimeWarp, then PB usefulness is fairly limited. Shaving up to 3.2 hours out of 16 doesn't buy you much unless you can squeeze an extra round in your weekly schedule. But once you combine Polar Bear with a high level TimeWarp, a lot of interesting game options open up, and many of those would be impossible (or very hard to do) with TimeWarp alone, even at L30.

I have a high level TimeWarp and 2x Polar Bears.

And as benefits of different Bears are very different, comparing them on percentages alone is exactly like comparing apples and oranges. But let's just say I wouldn't swap my L10 Polar Bear for another L10 Brown Bear even if I had that option.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
On the contrary, Polar Bears are very much synergetic with TimeWarp. In fact, I'd say that if you don't have TimeWarp, then PB usefulness is fairly limited. Shaving up to 3.2 hours out of 16 doesn't buy you much unless you can squeeze an extra round in your weekly schedule. But once you combine Polar Bear with a high level TimeWarp, a lot of interesting game options open up, and many of those would be impossible (or very hard to do) with TimeWarp alone, even at L30.
Now on that point, we totally agree. I do not see much point in only shaving 3.2 hours off tournament cooldown. For example, even if I had a fully evolved Polar Bear, it would not allow me to do 3 tournament rounds on a single Fire Phoenix feeding. Since I have no issue doing my tournament rounds with no cooldown reduction whatsoever, being able to do the tournament with fewer Fire Phoenix feedings would be my primary motivation. It does not appear that will happen until I reach the end game stage and unlock Timewarp.

KarlD

What it really comes down to is one's playing style and perhaps whether they have a Timewarp. I had a Timewarp when I got my Polar Bear and I found that my Timewarp was speeding up my tournament enough for my needs. Currently I can get through tournament using only 2 pet food to feed my Fire Phoenix because I have enough speedup for that. I only upgraded my Polar Bear to level 7 because that last 4% of speedup didn't seem especially valuable and in fact I haven't fed my Polar Bear in months because I haven't needed it. I do kind of regret having fully upgraded my Panda Bear instead of my Polar Bear, but since I don't feed either it doesn't much matter. At the moment I'd debating whether I should try for a level 10 Moon Bear or convert artifacts to finish upgrading my Polar Bear. Maybe that speedup will come in handy later even though I don't need it now, but them maybe I'm better off with the benefits of the Moon Bear now.

hvariidh gwendrot

if you are having trouble with having enough time to finish tournaments polar bear (16-3.2 =12.8 and that can be that 6th round squeezed in)(timewarp is my next wonder)
if you are having trouble maintaining a proper amount of troops brown bear, using speed ups and you can have a lot of troops fast (what happens with the possible all 3 buildings doing 15 troop ques training that may be released to live may change that up)

the L1 for 10% cool down reduction pb and the L10 bb for troops is a nice combo for general usage