• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Excess baggage? or to sell or not to sell magic residences

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

I am working on my woodelves style workshops and the only way that I can fit any 22's, read: just one, is to sell my two level 5 magic residences. Currently I have 2 level 20 workshops and 4 level 19's all of which I am upgrading to 21's in the next week or two. At this point, in regard to the magic residences, I feel that I'm carrying deadwood and it seems as though I should get rid of them as it takes the 2 of them to get up to speed to what I will gain from having all remaining workshops at level 21. Also is there a significant benefit to selling some of those 20's and/or 19's to make room for some more 22's?

Deleted User - 841850

I am working on my woodelves style workshops and the only way that I can fit any 22's, read: just one, is to sell my two level 5 magic residences. Currently I have 2 level 20 workshops and 4 level 19's all of which I am upgrading to 21's in the next week or two. At this point, in regard to the magic residences, I feel that I'm carrying deadwood and it seems as though I should get rid of them as it takes the 2 of them to get up to speed to what I will gain from having all remaining workshops at level 21. Also is there a significant benefit to selling some of those 20's and/or 19's to make room for some more 22's?
I forgot to mention that I also have 1 level 7 magic residence.

DeletedUser12171

If you are either not in a 10-chest fellowship or not willing to pay for magic building upgrades, then I'd recommend never to get them.

Deleted User - 841850

If you are either not in a 10-chest fellowship or not willing to pay for magic building upgrades, then I'd recommend never to get them.
Since the 2 level 5's that I own have just about used up there usefulness, I see what you are saying. However my question was not about buying them but rather if I should sell those 2.

DeletedUser9601

Level 5 MagRes = 500 pop in 9 squares, so 55 pop/sq.
Level 23 Residence = 1200 pop in 12 squares, so 100 pop/sq. This number lowers a bit because you need 475 culture, but that's at most 2 squares of culture (not including roads), so its still vastly more efficient.

So yes, I'd dump those level 5s unless, as mentioned above, you plan on getting 10-chest rewards once a month at least.

On the workshops, I prefer to always have max level buildings, because on the whole they're more efficient. Sometimes they aren't, but usually those are one-off situations (like I think level 19 Tier 1s were technically worse than level 15s, IIRC). So I'd say delete however many non-max workshops it takes to max out your other workshops.

Also, don't forget that Prosperity Towers and Endless Excavations are the same footprint as a Woodelves factory, but are better and require zero population.

Deleted User - 841850

Level 5 MagRes = 500 pop in 9 squares, so 55 pop/sq.
Level 23 Residence = 1200 pop in 12 squares, so 100 pop/sq. This number lowers a bit because you need 475 culture, but that's at most 2 squares of culture (not including roads), so its still vastly more efficient.

So yes, I'd dump those level 5s unless, as mentioned above, you plan on getting 10-chest rewards once a month at least.

On the workshops, I prefer to always have max level buildings, because on the whole they're more efficient. Sometimes they aren't, but usually those are one-off situations (like I think level 19 Tier 1s were technically worse than level 15s, IIRC). So I'd say delete however many non-max workshops it takes to max out your other workshops.

Also, don't forget that Prosperity Towers and Endless Excavations are the same footprint as a Woodelves factory, but are better and require zero population.
Thanks for this advice it's really helpful.

My next question is this: I noticed that one of the non-declinable Woodelves quests is to build 7 level 22 workshops, but to do that I'll need to sell all 10 of my 21's, leaving me short 3 workshops. This would seem to be a detriment to my development, any ideas?
Here is the link for the new setup with those 22's. http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/57db019749a6493f95ffe3c07e062bc5/

DeletedUser9601

Thanks for this advice it's really helpful.

My next question is this: I noticed that one of the non-declinable Woodelves quests is to build 7 level 22 workshops, but to do that I'll need to sell all 10 of my 21's, leaving me short 3 workshops. This would seem to be a detriment to my development, any ideas?
Here is the link for the new setup with those 22's. http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/57db019749a6493f95ffe3c07e062bc5/
Good question.
General caveat with all of the non-declinable quests. These generally provide a nice boost of gold, supplies, mana, etc., but they aren't critical. If you ignore all of the Woodelves quests until you hit Sorcers & Dragons, those non-declinable quests can be declined. Then you just decline the quests until you get to the quests that reward diamonds, and complete those (if you care about diamonds). So if a quest is negatively impacting your city, ignore it.

My general advice - losing workshops is fine if you can keep up on supplies. As an aside, you should try to build the Endless Excavation. Even at level 1, its more supplies than a workshop for far less space (since it doesn't require population). But assuming that 7 level 23 workshops give you enough supplies, its ok that you went to fewer workshops than previous chapters. And that kind of makes sense, right? Later levels:
-have more efficient buildings
-have different resources required (like mana, which in some ways partially replaces supplies as a gating item)
-have better access to PoP spells (sometimes 1 or 2 PoP spells a week can replace a workshop entirely if you time it right - like by casting it right before collecting a 9hr run)
-have an easier time completing events (to give those glorious supplies instants)
-have a higher main hall, meaning more supplies per gold-hands visit

The bigger question in your city layout is something else entirely. And if you want city layout advice, me and many others on the forums are happy to provide it. You've got a lot of dead space, your roads are kind of all over the place, and you have lots of old culture/event buildings that might not be the best use of space anymore. Space is pretty tight, especially if you've already built those Woodelf guest race buildings. So it might be hard to re-organize. And you might not want to go "super-efficient/cookie cutter" and you might really like those old event buildings. So please don't take anything in this paragraph as a slight or an attack.

kctanzen

The population / footprint you can save by selling a high level workshop and replacing it with an Endless Excavation has a handy, often overlooked bonus. Build baby workshops to wedge into holes so that you can keep the number of workshops where you want for various quest activities. Can always tear out / move / replace as needed but this will give you the option to have 6 or 7 primary / permanent workshops and a few level 1's to use as needed or wanted.

Deleted User - 841850

Thanks for all the advice. I've gotten a lot of good ideas on ways to manage my build and I really appreciate it.

The bigger question in your city layout is something else entirely.

You've got a lot of dead space, your roads are kind of all over the place, and you have lots of old culture/event buildings that might not be the best use of space anymore.

I just wanted to comment on the layout. While in Orcs and Goblins,I received a great build from Soggy Shorts (I was pretty much landlocked and his plan saved the day) .it was awesome and helped me get through that chapter. I had pretty much painted myself into a corner with no room to move and had to totally deconstruct/reconstruct, it was really hard (lots of sweating)...not a lot of fun at all!:}
The reason it looks so messy right now is because I finished Orcs and Goblins just in time for the last Fellowship Adventures and then the Tale of the Wandering Moon so I built a gazillion workshops and a bunch of the required manufactories (as a matter of fact for the novelty and fun of it,It, with those buildings along with a ton of instants, which I still have lot of,I completed the "Moon" quest the first day).t this point I am keeping the workshops as it's taking a while to get to those buildings in the research and I figured I might as wll take advatage of using the declinable
Anyway moving forward, I have made plans in Elven Architect to accommodate the buildings coming up in my Woodelves research. Thus far I got rid of my winter set for the Woodelvenstock one and began upgrading workshops,and residences, then manufactories. The upgrades were planned for in the architectural plan from Soggy Shorts and while I am adding my own ideas I am still following his general set up and am not ready to mess with it too much.
However just today I did start thinking about deleting some older culture as you suggested. That's hard because I'm such a hoarder and dither about what to get rid of ( I've got a ton of stuff in "summoning", some of which is worthless and unlikely to see the light of day)

Deleted User - 841850

I just wanted to comment on the layout. While in Orcs and Goblins,I received a great build from Soggy Shorts (I was pretty much landlocked and his plan saved the day) .it was awesome and helped me get through that chapter. I had pretty much painted myself into a corner with no room to move and had to totally deconstruct/reconstruct, it was really hard (lots of sweating)...not a lot of fun at all!:}
The reason it looks so messy right now is because I finished Orcs and Goblins just in time for the last Fellowship Adventures and then the Tale of the Wandering Moon so I built a gazillion workshops and a bunch of the required manufactories (as a matter of fact for the novelty and fun of it,It, with those buildings along with a ton of instants, which I still have lot of,I completed the "Moon" quest the first day).at this point I am keeping the workshops as it's taking a while to get to those buildings in the research and I figured I might as well take advantage of using the declinable
Anyway moving forward, I have made plans in Elven Architect to accommodate the buildings coming up in my Woodelves research. Thus far I got rid of my winter set for the Woodelvenstock one and began upgrading workshops,and residences, then manufactories. The upgrades were planned for in the architectural plan from Soggy Shorts and while I am adding my own ideas I am still following his general set up and am not ready to mess with it too much.
However just today I did start thinking about deleting some older culture as you suggested. That's hard because I'm such a hoarder and dither about what to get rid of ( I've got a ton of stuff in "summoning", some of which is worthless and unlikely to see the light of day)