• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Expansion or Magic Buildings?

NightshadeCS

I have amassed enough diamonds for another expansion. However, after looking at the price of magic workshops and residences, it seems a much better choice to purchase those instead.

I am mid chapter 15
Expansion Cost: 2600:diamond:
Mag Res Cost: 1400:diamond:
Mag WS Cost: 1400:diamond:

I have just completed the research for Residences, but have yet to do so for workshops. Do I need to complete that before my magic workshop will be of the current chapter?

Are there some hidden drawbacks to purchasing the buildings instead of an expansion that I am not thinking about?

Thanks for all input!

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
When you purchase a magic building it is at the level of your building research, not your chapter. If you win one in the spire, it's current chapter.

The only drawback is you have to either win blueprints regularly, or pay 300 diamonds for every upgrade going forward.

NightshadeCS

Thanks, @Ashrem. We do 10 chest pushes fairly regularly, and since there is only one chapter coming out soon beyond where I am, I think I should be able to keep up with upgrades. Good thing for people to keep in mind, though.

Thanks for the tip about research, too. I'll make sure to wait until I unlock that one before getting a workshop.

Other than those, does it seem like a no-brainer to go this route?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think so. Expansions are flexible, but once they are more then maybe 3000 diamonds, they are insanely priced.

Deleted User - 4366037

My 2 cents: I think you should just weigh what you personally feel your city could benefit the most from. One thing to consider on the expansion option is that there is no other way to get it, whereas you have a chance (albeit small) of winning both magic residences and magic workshops in the spire, and the expansion will be a permanent bonus requiring no further investments (such as blueprints). If you are happy with your current and/or expected future accessible city space, then the residence and/or workshop may be the way to go.

*Note - if you do buy a magic residence or workshop, I recommend waiting until the next time they are offered at a 10% discount.

Deleted User - 4366037

I guess I could have just said to wait for a discount for either option now that I think about it lol, but happy to help!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
NOTE For anyone finding this thread now, they changed the mechanics so that magic buildings are the current chapter as soon as you finish the advanced scouts (or other first tech). you no longer need to wait until you finish the residence upgrade research for the chapter.

DeepTerminal

I also want to note that during last year's Cyber Monday, there was an unprecedented 20% expansion discount (and, AFAIK, the only time it happened). So if you really want to minimize your expenditure, you should wait till November and hope that it will happen again.

Next time a 10% discount hits, think carefully if you want to take the discount now or wait a few more months for a chance to get an even steeper one.