• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Failed fellowship adventure event -

Do you think a game prize apology is in order considering the major screw up of the failed FA event?

• Yes

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 56.7%

• Total voters

DeletedUser7370

Exactly. You see the difference between facts and a certain argue-bot's makie-uppies.
One of the earliest bots to pass the Turing Test was ELIZA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA
Numerous bots have been based on that one, but they all have similar flaws in that they do not produce "makie-uppies". Spend enough time with a bot and you will learn all of its responses because it can't create new ones. If anyone had created a bot that was capable of responding with the sophistication I have seen from Ashrem for such an extended period of time, then they would be admitting it and seeking their Nobel Prizes.

Perhaps it is time for you to face the idea that some people disagree with you. Disagreement doesn't make either person right or wrong.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If anyone had created a bot that was capable of responding with the sophistication I have seen from Ashrem for such an extended period of time, then they would be admitting it and seeking their Nobel Prizes.
Thanks, Ted, but he doesn't actually think I'm a bot. He just came up with that when he finally realized he was wrong and didn't want to acknowledge it.

DeletedUser7370

Thanks, Ted, but he doesn't actually think I'm a bot. He just came up with that when he finally realized he was wrong and didn't want to acknowledge it.
Oh no! You are agreeing with me! Stop now before it commences another fellowship apocalypse!

Oh wait we are safe. I was still giving him the benefit of the doubt in public. But what you said is what I was thinking...maybe the apocalypse is back on...I have a headache now. Thanks.

DeletedUser495

Well... at least I had some entertaining reading to keep me busy while I wait for the next FA to start.
I actually have a really awesome fellowship and we had fun with the first one working together to see how far we could go!
Sure, we spent a little time setting things up to get a jump start, but since it hasn't happened we just keep joking around about when it might and work on other things in the meantime.
I came to the forum to see if there was anything new and instead found some people who like to banter and toss around "facts", which is always good for a few minutes of free entertainment. :rolleyes: :D

Thistleknot

Inno is serving a game. Please demonstrate how being served a game causes injury to a 3rd party not involved in the service of the game. :)
It could happen when someone gets upset at not having an event happen in a timely manner and then start serving cyanide-laced lemonade to strangers. :confused:

It was hardly a minor inconvenience to fellowships that got organized for this event. It wasted a ton of time, and for something that is horribly designed for competition because of the length of time and they gave TWO failed start times that had our member first wasting time wondering what to do when it got pulled.

Not exactly the same, but I have wasted many hours watching horrible movies on Netflix that I will never get back. So do I go to Netflix or the studios to get compensation for wasting my time watching bad movies?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Cranky the First
The debate pretty much ends though if you are no longer saying that the other party is incorrect, but instead your position is that they are lying. There really isn't anywhere to go from there.

@Ashrem has stated that he was working in a bookstore when a book was recalled on its release day.
You are saying this is not a fact. If he produces a second employee that verifies his claim, does it then become a fact? 4 employees and the store owner? What about video footage of the event? How can you be sure it wasn't altered?

Last edited:

WolfSinger

@Cranky the First
I don't know Ashrem personally and didn't work in his book store - but as a published author and small press publisher I do have some knowledge of the book industry and I can support that what he described does indeed happen. An error is caught after a book is sent out and then recalled. It happens.

DeletedUser8187

Well, Soggy, since my position is that the thing you call "Ashrem" is a bot, and since it's well-acknowledged among the mental health community that arguing with the inanimate and/or strips of programming code is a sign of insanity, I'm not willing to postulate that "Ashrem" can in fact produce an actual being who will acknowledge that his/her online name in these forums is "Ashrem". That I may be wrong is something I'm willing to accept. That a strip of code programmed to follow new users around and take the opposite position to whatever they say exists is not a new idea - there are such things out there, and they can look quite sophisticated.
Possibly "Ashrem" is real. Possibly not. If "Ashrem" is real, that person could pay confederates and yes, fake video. Meantime, look at my profile pic - that's me. Verifiable. That is a fact. All one needs do to verify it, is run an image match on Google, find my FB page, introduce oneself by one's name here, and the first words that person will read when I respond will be: "Yes, I'm Cranky".

I'm sure the (bot) very entertaining Ashrem has much better things to do than scour the Elvenar forums to counter "whatever" the/us newbies say.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I also disputed that this occurs "all the time" the day before release
There are about 1,000,000 books published per year, so if just 1 in a million are recalled on their release date, that's still once every single year. For such an unfortunate event, I feel the phrase "happens all the time" is apt.

look at my profile pic - that's me. Verifiable. That is a fact. All one needs do to verify it, is run an image match on Google, find my FB page, introduce oneself by one's name here, and the first words that person will read when I respond will be: "Yes, I'm Cranky".
Sorry, but making a program that auto replies to FB messages with "Yes, I'm cranky" sounds pretty easy to code.
In fact, I'm starting to think everyone is a bot except(including?) me.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
One key difference between Cranky and I is that I don't change the subject every time I run out of support for my claims (well, that and I try not to make claims about things being facts unless they are actually are).

DeletedUser7370

One key difference between Cranky and I is that I don't change the subject every time I run out of support for my claims (well, that and I try not to make claims about things being facts unless they are actually are).
And your last statement was not an automatic contradiction of any of his statements. If you are a bot then you are the most sophisticated bot, and your creator would be seeking their Nobel Prizes. Exactly as I said before.

DeletedUser11391

no excuse,, not playing in the next one and hope my fellow members don't waste their time in something that could fail at anytime

DeletedUser

Maybe we're all 'bots.

0U812.jpg

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
It won't come until at least until the end of this event that is going on (It was mentioned by a Mod on beta that they can't/or won't do a FA and an event at the same time). But there has been no word so far as I have heard when the next one will come.
Edit : sniped, lol.