• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Favorite Authors

• Thread starter DeletedUser20396
  • Start date

DeletedUser20396

My brother read some of his books, but I haven't. He said they were good though. :)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Saphirra the magnificent
Just connected your screen name and the Inheritance Cycle (must be the new avatar/sig, can't be my brain getting slower in my old age lol!). I've read that series several times. If you enjoyed it, you will love the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. They're not as much a series as there is overlap in the different collections with stories being told from different points of view, but I'm having trouble getting through all of them because I keep going back and re-reading the one's I've already got, lol! Of course, I only started it about 6 months ago (introduced to them by one of my FS members) and there are over 20 books in all...
There's a Wiki where you can learn more about them:
http://pern.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

DeletedUser20396

Thanks, I look them up at the library. :) Yeah, that's is exactly where I got my name from. Actually, the first name is from there and the second is from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis. High King Peter, The Magnificent.

Gath Of Baal

So many good names, but I guess it all comes down to what type of book you like to read

If you like Fantasy, here are a few good writers
Piers Anthony -- Anything written by this guy, but I really love the Xanth and Incarnations Of Immortality series
Terry Brooks -- Shannara series
Elizabeth Haydon -- Rhapsody series
James Silke -- For the only reason him and Frank Frazetta created the character who I took my name from
Robert E Howard -- Anything Conan
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman -- DragonLance .. Long live Tasslehoff
R.A Salvatore -- created one of the most beloved characters ever in Drizzt Do'Urden

The last 2 listed played a significant part in me having anything to do with fantasy

alainemk

So many wonderful authors and books listed here. One not mentioned as yet, Katherine Kurtz and her Deryni series.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
My name, lol! Early 2000's had a male Jack Russell named Sammy. Created the name then with the feminine version, lol! And I think it's great to recognize Narnia with 'the magnificent'! I've started reading those to my 17 month old grandson; he doesn't have much of an attention span for it right now, but start 'em young I say!

DeletedUser6326

Some of my favorite authors include: Michael G. Manning, Michael J. Sullivan, Juliet Marillier, Sara J. Maas, C. Greenwood, Terry Goodkind, Naomi Novik, Margaret Weis, India Drummond, Diana Gabaldon, Ken Follett, Suzanne Collins, Patrick Rothfuss, Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin...and of course, J.R.R. Tolkien! Most are fantasy writers. They are also long series novelists. There are many, many hours of books to be read with almost all of these authors...and well worth it too! :)

DeletedUser20396

Sigh. So many Authors I haven't heard of or read. LOL Glad ya'll posted.

DeletedUser20396

My name, lol! Early 2000's had a male Jack Russell named Sammy. Created the name then with the feminine version, lol! And I think it's great to recognize Narnia with 'the magnificent'! I've started reading those to my 17 month old grandson; he doesn't have much of an attention span for it right now, but start 'em young I say!
Sami, I like it. "Start them young," that's the way too do it. They say that a child learns more in the first 7 years of their lives than they do other wise. It's really a good series. I found it at a homeschool convention, and not own the whole series except that the "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" has a few pages in the back missing. :( My brother has it though, and so I got to read it. :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
My favorite author? Not sure. I have 5 fiction authors who's books top my list, though. 'Til We Have Faces" CS Lewis, "Siddhartha" Hermann Hesse, "The Brothers Karamozov" Fyodor Dostoyevsky, "Bread and Wine" Ignazio Silone, and "The Last Temptation of Christ" by Nikos Karantzakis.

Non-fiction I read a lot of biographies. Kerns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" (on Lincoln's cabinet), Robert K. Masse on Peter the Great and Catherine the Great, Peter Irons "A People's History of the Supreme Court", "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose, "Battle Cry of Freedom" James M. McPherson. "Nixon, Volume I: The Education of a Politician 1913:1962" Stephen Ambrose (haven't read Vol 2 yet, but it's probably just as good). I could go on, but won't.

Currently reading: (just for the fun of it!) The Watergate Transcripts (really, just the transcripts), The Quran (everybody ought to read source material and not get caught up in this or that guys argument about what it says -- read it for yourself, I say), The Complete Works of HG Wells (not the best writer but interesting ideas anyway), The History of Philosophty (vol 1) by Fr Copeland.

I, too, read a lot. Manage to get through 2-3 books a week in the summer, less in the winter as I still have to work...sigh.

AJ

DeletedUser20396

I well versed person in most any kind of book. Interesting mix. I have never even heard of more than three of them. My sister likes reading bibliographies on famous musicians. Like Mozart and Beethoven.

DeletedUser5806

Ayn Rand....and not to illicit a heated discussion on objectivism, inspires questioning and thought.

Finished the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, completed by Brandon Sanderson based on R. Jordan's notes including the prequell, New Spring.

DeletedUser20396

that sounds good too. Sounds almost like Prince of Persia; sands of time. Interesting books everyone of them. well, I guess I should say interesting titles since I haven't read any of them.

DeletedUser

My favorite author? Not sure. I have 5 fiction authors who's books top my list, though. 'Til We Have Faces" CS Lewis, "Siddhartha" Hermann Hesse, "The Brothers Karamozov" Fyodor Dostoyevsky, "Bread and Wine" Ignazio Silone, and "The Last Temptation of Christ" by Nikos Karantzakis.

Non-fiction I read a lot of biographies. Kerns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" (on Lincoln's cabinet), Robert K. Masse on Peter the Great and Catherine the Great, Peter Irons "A People's History of the Supreme Court", "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose, "Battle Cry of Freedom" James M. McPherson. "Nixon, Volume I: The Education of a Politician 1913:1962" Stephen Ambrose (haven't read Vol 2 yet, but it's probably just as good). I could go on, but won't.

Currently reading: (just for the fun of it!) The Watergate Transcripts (really, just the transcripts), The Quran (everybody ought to read source material and not get caught up in this or that guys argument about what it says -- read it for yourself, I say), The Complete Works of HG Wells (not the best writer but interesting ideas anyway), The History of Philosophty (vol 1) by Fr Copeland.

I, too, read a lot. Manage to get through 2-3 books a week in the summer, less in the winter as I still have to work...sigh.

AJ

Excellent selections there.

Have you read Nikolai Tolstoy's "The Secret Betrayal"? If you have not, I recommend it.

DeletedUser20747

I like Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Shakespeare, Dickens, Ray Bradbury, H.G. Wells, Philippa Gregory, Anne McCaffrey, and the Harry Potter series. I also read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction (usually related to historical periods or wars I'm interested in). My husband likes Piers Anthony. I haven't read anything by him yet, but I'll get there. My sister-in-law keeps sending me positive-thought motivational books, so I'm just trying to keep up with those right now. Not my cup of tea, but she'll ask me about them later, so I better read 'em. Lol. Also, I seem to spend a lot of time reading cookbooks lately.

Sherlock Holmes: Yes to Robert Downey, Jr. Yes to Benedict Cumberbatch. No to the Great Mouse Detective. Haven't seen any others. The books are great!

DeletedUser20747

Oh! I forgot Michael Crichton. He wrote some great ones, too! One of my favorites of his is "Timeline." The movie didn't do the book justice. The book is awesome!