• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Favorite Authors

• Thread starter DeletedUser20396
  • Start date

DeletedUser20396

Oh! I forgot Michael Crichton. He wrote some great ones, too! One of my favorites of his is "Timeline." The movie didn't do the book justice. The book is awesome! Said by @Erebwen.

I see you are someone who likes both sides of the spectrum and reads more of the stuff I can say, "Ya I know that book or name from somewhere." I normally don't know any of them. :) The movie was good, I've never read the book. The movie was made the yr. I was born. I just remember Gerard Butler.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Excellent selections there.

Have you read Nikolai Tolstoy's "The Secret Betrayal"? If you have not, I recommend it.

I just finished a two volume set on Russian history and "In Defense of Communism" by Trosky. If you don't know Russian history you won't understand Putin. So I read the history and understand better with whom we have to deal and why. The Tolstoy book you mention should be interesting. Now I have to go to my local used book store and find a copy. The guy there loves when I come in as he is building an addition to his home and a couple more trips by me to his shop should complete it. LOL! Thanks for the tip.

On a slightly different note people who like Shakespeare should read Puskin. "Eugene Onegin" is a work that, when translated correctly, is full of soul piercing shards of light and splendor. If you read Shakespeare for his wit and wisdom, Puskin is more poetic and breath taking, if less philosophical.

Just a suggestion.

AJ

Chrizty

Awesome! I have just about all these Authors on my shelf :D I like to take a week vacation from work in the winter to hibernate at home in another world portal-ed through a book ..:D
I just went to our library's book sale and got some Chris D'Lacey and Kay Kenyon books, If I like them and its a series I can always order what I don't have on thriftbooks.com
Has anyone ever read Brian Jacques Redwall series?? lol I still love them have them all :D

DeletedUser20396

So many good names, but I guess it all comes down to what type of book you like to read

If you like Fantasy, here are a few good writers
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman -- DragonLance .. Long live Tasslehoff
R.A Salvatore -- created one of the most beloved characters ever in Drizzt Do'Urden

The last 2 listed played a significant part in me having anything to do with fantasy

I just put two and two together, and R.A Salvatore wrights some Star Wars books. :p:D

DeletedUser20396

Your brother got good taste lol every few years I drag them out an re-read them all

He has over 600 books. They're crowed around our room. He got a lot of them free from the High School that was getting rid of them, so he traded labor for books. So I guess you couldn't call that free, but it ain't paying for them either. :) We go the Metropolitan Book Sale most every year since we discovered it from a cousin of ours. They put books that no one wants or reads, into mini-storages, and then they put them on display for people to come buy. There's also movies and cassettes and audio books. They also have venders. :) But one time, he was at the Sale, and he was in line waiting to check out, when the woman in front of him, noticed that he had a lot of books, and asked him, "Are they all for yourself?" He said they weren't, that he was going to share them with his brother, (me). And she then asked, "How many brothers you got?" He replied, "6." She thought it was wonderful that he was sharing with his brothers, and turned back around, but when he got to the check out, the people there said that he had been payed for already by an unanimous donor. They let him write a thank you note, and he thought that it was the lady ahead who had payed for them. He brought home over a hundred $ in books that time. :) Hope this was entertaining and not boring to read. :) Here are a few I can make out easily: Arthur Conan Doyle, C.S Lewis, Mark Twain, J.R.R Tolkien, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dick Francis, Jules Verne and a lot of non-fiction books on how to do something. :)

DeletedUser20747

He has over 600 books. They're crowed around our room. He got a lot of them free from the High School that was getting rid of them, so he traded labor for books. So I guess you couldn't call that free, but it ain't paying for them either. :) We go the Metropolitan Book Sale most every year since we discovered it from a cousin of ours. They put books that no one wants or reads, into mini-storages, and then they put them on display for people to come buy. There's also movies and cassettes and audio books. They also have venders. :) But one time, he was at the Sale, and he was in line waiting to check out, when the woman in front of him, noticed that he had a lot of books, and asked him, "Are they all for yourself?" He said they weren't, that he was going to share them with his brother, (me). And she then asked, "How many brothers you got?" He replied, "6." She thought it was wonderful that he was sharing with his brothers, and turned back around, but when he got to the check out, the people there said that he had been payed for already by an unanimous donor. They let him write a thank you note, and he thought that it was the lady ahead who had payed for them. He brought home over a hundred $ in books that time. :) Hope this was entertaining and not boring to read. :) Here are a few I can make out easily: Arthur Conan Doyle, C.S Lewis, Mark Twain, J.R.R Tolkien, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dick Francis, Jules Verne and a lot of non-fiction books on how to do something. :)

That is AWESOME!!! I love stories like this!!!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
When I was nine years old we had one book in our home. "Danny Dun and the Anti-gravity Machine." I must have read the green hard-back book ten times over because it was the only book available. I still remember the drawings, the plot, the very physicality of the thing. In the spring of that year sometime I was invited to church (we were not church going people), and told that if I came for three weeks they would give me a Bible. The Bible, I knew, was a book! So I went for three weeks, got my Bible, and that was, at the time, the end of my church attendance.

But I read that Bible. Over and over. Northurp Frye, the Marxist critic (deceased 1991) and author of "The Great Code: The Bible and Literature," would, in the first week of his freshman English Literature classes ask who had read the New Testament. Then he would announce if they had not, they could not understand English Literature. He then assigned the reading of the whole thing over one weekend. I got lucky, and a free weekend, because I attended church nine years earlier and got a free Bible! LOL In the end I became an English Major (among other things) and in fact, the first writing award I ever won was an analysis of speech delivered in 1828 by an abolitionist in which I documented the occurrence of over 100 quotes or allusions to the New Testament -- in a speech of only 14 paragraphs! For some reason nobody had noticed how the language of that speech reflected the tone and tenor of the audiences' Biblical experience. No wonder the woman was considered a prophet!

The point is, books are written in a literary context and if you really want to understand them you have to understand the context. You have to, immerse yourself in the great conversation going on around you beginning with the most influential texts. And that means you have to read, read, read.

That your brother has 600 books is a good sign of a mind which, in the long run, will surpass many or us. There is no greater skill you can possess than that of listening the the historic conversation going on right before your eyes.

AJ

DeletedUser20396

That was a great story @ajqrtz. But did you learn anything from the Bible? Did you understand what it was saying? The Bible is the Word of God. He spoke to us through it. Jesus said that he is the way. We are under grace now. The Old Law of Moses does not apply. It's only purpose was to show that no man is perfect, except one. He was the sacrifice for all sin, he was the perfect lamb, without blemish, the firstborn. He died, so we may live for eternity. I hope you realized that. :)

shimmerfly

"Are they all for yourself?" He said they weren't, that he was going to share them with his brother, (me). And she then asked, "How many brothers you got?" He replied, "6." She thought it was wonderful that he was sharing with his brothers, and turned back around, but when he got to the check out, the people there said that he had been payed for already by an unanimous donor. They let him write a thank you note, and he thought that it was the lady ahead who had payed for them. He brought home over a hundred $ in books that time. :) Hope this was entertaining and not boring to read. :) Here are a few I can make out easily: Arthur Conan Doyle, C.S Lewis, Mark Twain, J.R.R Tolkien, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dick Francis, Jules Verne and a lot of non-fiction books on how to do something. :)

I enjoyed reading this and hope you are reading some of your brother's books. What a nice gesture from a stranger. I hope he can pay it back and pass on the favor some day.

The point is, books are written in a literary context and if you really want to understand them you have to understand the context. You have to, immerse yourself in the great conversation going on around you beginning with the most influential texts. And that means you have to read, read, read.

@ajqtrz I also enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for that one!

DeletedUser20396

I enjoyed reading this and hope you are reading some of your brother's books. What a nice gesture from a stranger. I hope he can pay it back and pass on the favor some day.

He has, and he does. I do read his books. He's got taste. :)

Many suspense authors such as Dean Koontz, Stephen King, James Patterson, David Baldacci, John Grisham, etc. Also, sci-fi / fantasy. I rarely buy books since I don't typically read them twice, unless I really, really, love it & there is so much detail that you can get just as much enjoyment the second time around ;) I go to the local library - we have a very good library system in our area.

DeletedUser20960

I really, REALLY love reading books, though I can't say that I have a favorite author. I like those on your list, especially J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis. I would probably add Gorge Orwell, Stephen Hawking, John Green, Gorge R.R Martin, and Jane Austen. My friends tell me I'm a book nerd. I can't really argue with them haha.

DeletedUser20396

I like Jane too. I guess I should edit my list a bit. :) Being a nerd in any area just means you understand on a deep level, what it is that you are being called a nerd about. :)

DeletedUser20960

There are many definitions for what being a nerd means, though I agree with what you're saying. But for example, everywhere I go I bring a book with me. I guess some people see that as nerdy. :D

DeletedUser20960

Also, I don't know how, but I forgot to add J.K Rowling to the list. :)