• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Favorite troops?

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I often read comments about 1 troop being great or another troop being lame. I personally am very lazy about battling at all and always use auto-fight. I make troops 24/7 and have all of the battle AWs at level 30 except for new Shrine of Champions. Yet I still run out of troops to go against x kind of enemy sometimes. I know there has to be favorites out there for each type of enemy. So here is my question. Which kind of troop is your favorite against light melee, light ranged, mage, heavy melee & heavy ranged?

Please say whether you are human or elf city. I am human city. And, please say what chapter you are in. While I am finished chapter 18 other info would be nice to know for other FS members.

Thank you in advance :)

Huor

Human, opening chapter 8, manual fight only under the watchful eye of a chicken for rounds 5/6 of the tournament and the second level of the spire. I have a tempest and sanctuary at level 11.

light melee - paladin with vallorian guard as shields, mortar, orc strategist, frog
light ranged - mortar, orc strategist, frog, cerberus
mage - ranger, crossbowman, cerberus
heavy melee - mage, crossbowman
heavy ranged - mage, banshee

The above is what I would prefer, but depending on the mixture of troops being faced, it's subject to change. If my chicken is with me, anything goes. I usually try and balance troops that can strip defenses from the enemy and those that stand a good chance of cleaning them up on the next hit.

I would use my barbarian more but he's so slow. He needs a 1 hex better movement range.

In the end, if you can't find a good balance, don't be embarrassed to cater and fight another day! And have your finger ready on the surrender button if it's going south! The only shame is letting all your troops die!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Huor That is pretty much the entire list of choices. Thankfully they have the color coded indicator of which troops are which type. I'm wondering more about something like this. Of course always keeping the Barracks troops for backup if something runs short. Love those Paladin in lower levels of the tournament :)

light melee (blue) - Frog
light ranged (green) - Senior Orc Strategist II ?
mage (purple) - ?
heavy melee (red) - Blossom princess
heavy ranged (yellow) - Banshee?

Also trying to even out some between mercenary camp & training grounds.

Huor

Sorry about that! I thought you were wanting something specific. But for me, until I see the terrain, I have only my preferred match up. Terrain changes everything! I'll have to go see what the colors are? I've never noticed that!

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Thanks @Huor I have been wondering about switching back to auto-fighting the Spire. It seems like there are a bunch of players who are gung ho about battling the Spire to the top. So, I just tried it for the first time in at least a year. I am in total shock! All the way to the top in minutes. Seriously!?!? I used all Mercenary camp troops since I'm kind of hoping to get more input on others. Today put all those many weeks of negotiating the Spire to shame :rolleyes: In my own defense, the Spire used to wipe out all of my troops so I came up short on troops for the tournament. I guess a year+ of leveling up battle support AWs really made a huge difference!! Very Obviously, the effect of leveling up all those AWs far outweighs the effect of the battle difficulty calculation by a whole lot :cool: It also saved me all those diamonds I used for extra negotiating tries. Sheesh! I really wish I had tried it a long time ago instead of listening to all the claims that it is so much harder since the difficulty change :(

adding: yes I know you get back the diamonds used at the end unless you do really, really bad.

Last edited:

Huor

I am looking forward to having those AW's! I need to make more use of the expiring combat buildings. I always made them to collect them. Now I'm learning to build them. lol.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I love love love my gruff orc warriors (3 star). They are awesome heavy melees. I find that if treants or valorians fail, the orc gruffs can just go in and stand tall. I always autofight, so they are my go-to heavy melee units. (Elf city, just about to enter chapter 16)

Dew Spinner

@Huor That is pretty much the entire list of choices. Thankfully they have the color coded indicator of which troops are which type. I'm wondering more about something like this. Of course always keeping the Barracks troops for backup if something runs short. Love those Paladin in lower levels of the tournament :)

light melee (blue) - Frog
light ranged (green) - Senior Orc Strategist II ?
mage (purple) - ?
heavy melee (red) - Blossom princess
heavy ranged (yellow) - Banshee?

Also trying to even out some between mercenary camp & training grounds.
It has always baffled me on how anyone can make enough goods to cater all the way up the spire! And do it Every Week!

Alram

Flippers just flip
It has always baffled me on how anyone can make enough goods to cater all the way up the spire! And do it Every Week!
I do not understand which part you find "baffling". It's not difficult to cater every week.

The game seems to favor hybrid cities. Cater only. and Fight only cities are challenging.

Some of us actually like a challenge

Dew Spinner

@Dew Spinner So what are your favorite troops? Actually, training grounds and mercenary camp are the same for elves & humans so....
I like all the troops to be honest, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this. I just find it easier to recoup my troops when I use a wide variety instead of dessimating just a few types. I guess I would say Drones are the weakest in the Merc. Camp but they still come in handy when there are more archers than not and I do use them in those fights when there is no opposing enemy that is really good against them, if there is I will use Orc Strats. I like all the troops in the Training Grounds also, I use all of them frequently. I try to pick which troop doesn't have a counter unit against them, if drones have a counter unit and Orc Strats don't I go with Orc Stats and visa versa. The counter units don't light up when you are hovering over your troops, so they are easy to spot. After you fight for awhile it just starts to click naturally in your head which is the better unit. There is always the teraain issue though, I have lost fights that should have been a slam dunk! So don't get discourage if this happens, it's just how it is and once in awhile you are going to hit a clunker fight and take a defeat. The object is to keep defeats to a minimum. I still get nailed in tournament at least once a week and it pisses me off every time! LOL And sometimes in the Spire I get nailed too.

Dew Spinner

I do not understand which part you find "baffling". It's not difficult to cater every week.

The game seems to favor hybrid cities. Cater only. and Fight only cities are challenging.

Some of us actually like a challenge
I meant cater every encounter every week. I cater 4 or 5 a week, when I don't like the fight and that puts a big enough dent in my inventory, I can't imagine the dent 48 encounters make!

Dew Spinner

Agreed @Alram I have catered the Spire for over a year and auto-battled the Tournament for years now. That with not nearly the number of factories a lot of top ranking cities have put out.
Then you should be fine battling the Spire, you just have to know when to cater, when the fight doesn't look good because of the 2 and 3 waves. The enemy units are restored each wave but you are going into each subsequent wave with damaged troops. Some fights you will win but take heavy, heavy losses and it is worth it to cater those. MinMax has vids on his site for battling the Spire for lower chapters and higher chapters.

Alram

Flippers just flip
I meant cater every encounter every week. I cater 4 or 5 a week, when I don't like the fight and that puts a big enough dent in my inventory, I can't imagine the dent 48 encounters make!
It's not a big dent when you are set up to cater. I cater everything.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Dew Spinner I almost feel obligated to use Drones with the Mercenary camp troops. I have an event building and AW that gives those for free. I did draw on a tip from a real Spire/Tournament beast who has left the game now. He did not use drones but used Frogs for light melee and light ranged. That helped me today with some of the 3 round battles where I had largely different needs by the 3rd round. But, yeah I did use drones for light ranged otherwise. One of the things I'm wondering is whether it is worth the Orcs it takes to ramp up on Senior Orc Strategist II instead. I'm not sure but maybe there is a building to help with those?

Dew Spinner

@Dew Spinner I almost feel obligated to use Drones with the Mercenary camp troops. I have an event building and AW that gives those for free. I did draw on a tip from a real Spire/Tournament beast who has left the game now. He did not use drones but used Frogs for light melee and light ranged. That helped me today with some of the 3 round battles where I had largely different needs by the 3rd round. But, yeah I did use drones for light ranged otherwise. One of the things I'm wondering is whether it is worth the Orcs it takes to ramp up on Senior Orc Strategist II instead.
I would use the Orc Strats buildings, saves on your Orcs. My Frogs are only 1 star, so far, so they aren't as froggy as yours'! LOL

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
@Dew Spinner I almost feel obligated to use Drones with the Mercenary camp troops. I have an event building and AW that gives those for free. I did draw on a tip from a real Spire/Tournament beast who has left the game now. He did not use drones but used Frogs for light melee and light ranged. That helped me today with some of the 3 round battles where I had largely different needs by the 3rd round. But, yeah I did use drones for light ranged otherwise. One of the things I'm wondering is whether it is worth the Orcs it takes to ramp up on Senior Orc Strategist II instead. I'm not sure but maybe there is a building to help with those?
Temple of the Toads increases the damage for heavy ranged attacks, while Victory Springs grants speed to the Training Grounds.

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I love to fight with Priests, Knights and Mortars, with a side of Orc Strats or Frogs. In the right tournament Archers or Rangers.
In Elven cities, it's Blossom Mages and Vallorian Guards.
I autofight with the Guards as I always have lots of them; I was one the first players in my orbit to plunk down a V Valor ;)