• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Adventure Improvement = Final / Whirlpool Stage

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Note: I'd rather not do things twice, so I'd encourage anyone who wants to comment to go straight to the matching thread on Beta for discussion. But here is the text of the idea:
----
The Whirlpool aspect of the Fellowship Adventure remains a bit tedious, and there are some (mostly trivial, I admit) bad feelings about badges that can't be used.
As a fix for that, I suggest that instead of a repetitive cycle of nine specific badges, assign every badge weighted points, and have each stage require a fixed number of points. This would make a bit like a group variation on the craftsman challenge.

Disadvantage: It would require some new code, but maybe part of the craftsman Challenge code could be recycled, giving it a little extra use.
Advantage: It gives every interested player something useful to do with every single badge they make.

As an example: the whirlpool stages could be set at 250 "points" to complete. Brewing badge might be 10 points, Farmer's delight at 25, Blacksmith at 50, Wand at 35, Sack of coins at 20, etc.

So stage might be completed by 5 blacksmith, or 50 Dwarven Brewery, or 1 blacksmith, 3 farmer's Delight, five sacks of coins and witch's hat.

It would need to be established if the points needed to be exact in order to finish the stage, or if excess points would simply be wasted, or if it is movement along a progress bar, like the Craftsman Challenge. (probably one of the latter two are better if we want everyone to be able to use up all badges.)

If each stage of the whirlpool also generated a common, and trivial, prize for the participants. a 5% coin instant, or 3x3 minute time reductions, etc. it also serves as a reason to bother for people who have no hope of placing high enough to win one of the FS top 100 positions.

Last edited:

DeletedUser24458

I very much like this idea or any idea that would make beginner cities feel like they are actually contributing to FA. I feel the FA is designed only for large towns with space and a good amount of teleport building spells. The shear amount of blacksmith badges needed for stage 3 is nuts! If your fellowship isn't all mid to late game this is impossible.

The other issue i see with the events requiring leveled factories and the FA not is we HAVE to get teleport spells just to be able to finish.

Edit: btw, I think the above suggestion is very well thought out and still keeps FA different than events. Inno could just attach a number value to each badge currently in the FA and make it that goal without requiring how we attain that goal.

Alistaire

There's an issue with coin badges here; you basically give an advantage to people who have a ton of instants to burn. And troop badges, imagine those people with 3 or more brown bears maxed pumping out a ton of points you just wouldn't have the resources for otherwise.

In a vacuum I like this idea; in practicality I could see it just making things worse.

DeletedUser2870

That would be a great idea, to be able to use the badges for points in the last stage, because pretty much everyone has a bunch of unused badges left over at the end AND KEEPS GETTING MORE OF THOSE. Blacksmith's take 24 hours, so in the last day one can't get them without burning time-instants. But the Guard-badges keep coming in for instance, even though there is no use for them.
What I really would love (probably not going to be implemented, but still, since I often am away and unable to get online for long stretches of time) would be the ability to move bathes into a sort of FS bank at a rate of 2-1 or even 3-1. I will end up (again) with lots of badges that could have been used, but weren't because I couldn't be online when they were needed. If I could post what I made in a bank where a mage or archmage could take them and use them when they were needed, that would be nice. Even if it would cost me 2 or 3 badges to put 1 into that 'bank'.

The leveled factories make it pretty much a disaster for end-players though as it will require a lot of higher-level factories to actually do anything worthwhile. I also still have the problem with the workshops. I'm considering consolidating by replacing 5 regular workshops by 2 magical ones. That would save space, but will seriously reduce the amount of badges I can make.

DeletedUser24458

The leveled factories make it pretty much a disaster for end-players though as it will require a lot of higher-level factories to actually do anything worthwhile. I also still have the problem with the workshops. I'm considering consolidating by replacing 5 regular workshops by 2 magical ones. That would save space, but will seriously reduce the amount of badges I can make.
I agree and I am not suggesting that at all. What i was trying to say is that in order to compete in the FA you have to have the space to spam in lvl 1 workshops and factories and smaller cities just cannot pull their weight enough. The pit is still there for those FS who want to rank. i just want the adventure to be a challenge but also attainable for every type of FS. stage 1 and 2 were fine but stage 3 is impossible for a FS with 1/3 in chps 1-4

DeletedUser24458

What I really would love (probably not going to be implemented, but still, since I often am away and unable to get online for long stretches of time) would be the ability to move bathes into a sort of FS bank at a rate of 2-1 or even 3-1. I will end up (again) with lots of badges that could have been used, but weren't because I couldn't be online when they were needed. If I could post what I made in a bank where a mage or archmage could take them and use them when they were needed, that would be nice. Even if it would cost me 2 or 3 badges to put 1 into that 'bank'.

A fellowship bank is not a half bad idea either and warrants another thread. I do not think it should even cost to add badges to the bank. Plus the bank would only be available during FA and cleared of extra badges after events. "Any in the FS can add badges but Mages and Archmages can remove them." like

DeletedUser2870

@teagan75
I feel the extra cost would be needed as it does give a certain advantage. Such things come at a price. But with the last FA, I had about 30 of the 3-hour bages for both workshop and factories left over, as well as about 10 of the 9-hour ones.
At work I can't always access my phone as some areas are restricted, so that makes for a lot of waste. I'd be happy to pay that extra badge to post them in a bank to still be able to have them used.

As for the lvl 1 factories and workshops. I'm in the endstage, but since I'm in the middle of chapter 15 I have virtually no space left at all, so even placing a lot of those lvl 1s is out at the moment.

DeletedUser24458

@teagan75
I feel the extra cost would be needed as it does give a certain advantage. Such things come at a price. But with the last FA, I had about 30 of the 3-hour bages for both workshop and factories left over, as well as about 10 of the 9-hour ones.
At work I can't always access my phone as some areas are restricted, so that makes for a lot of waste. I'd be happy to pay that extra badge to post them in a bank to still be able to have them used.

As for the lvl 1 factories and workshops. I'm in the endstage, but since I'm in the middle of chapter 15 I have virtually no space left at all, so even placing a lot of those lvl 1s is out at the moment.

NO cost would make the bank work like an in game spreadsheet keeping track. Members could check the bank and decide what badges need working on next

DeletedUser24458

There's an issue with coin badges here; you basically give an advantage to people who have a ton of instants to burn. And troop badges, imagine those people with 3 or more brown bears maxed pumping out a ton of points you just wouldn't have the resources for otherwise.

In a vacuum I like this idea; in practicality I could see it just making things worse.

Yes, i can see that too. Taking all the ideas here, what about a badge exchange? If you have an excess of certain badges, you can exchange them at variable rates for badges needed. Coins and Guard badges would take more to exchange for a Diamond Necklace,

Ashrem

Oh Wise One

Yes, i can see that too. Taking all the ideas here, what about a badge exchange? If you have an excess of certain badges, you can exchange them at variable rates for badges needed. Coins and Guard badges would take more to exchange for a Diamond Necklace,
I'm not sure making the bag of coins is all that much easier, but it doesn't matter, that's all covered in the value of the badges. They can set any particular badge at 5 points or even one point if they think they are too easy to make. You still need some excess, because you can't guarantee the required people will be online when needed, but if their residual value in the whirlpool is low enough, and there's no incentive to make much more than you need.

DeletedUser24458

I'm not sure making the bag of coins is all that much easier, but it doesn't matter, that's all covered in the value of the badges. They can set any particular badge at 5 points or even one point if they think they are too easy to make. You still need some excess, because you can't guarantee the required people will be online when needed, but if their residual value in the whirlpool is low enough, and there's no incentive to make much more than you need.
For those who make it to the whirlpool, sure. The badge exchange would help small, lower ranked FS make it to the end of stage 3. This FA was fine until stage 3 for both my FS. We had excess badges that we could have exchanged to get those last few blacksmith, necklace, or statues to make it to the end of stage 3. We deemed it not worth the effort for the mediocre reward. Events are more rewarding than this

Alistaire

For those who make it to the whirlpool, sure. The badge exchange would help small, lower ranked FS make it to the end of stage 3. This FA was fine until stage 3 for both my FS. We had excess badges that we could have exchanged to get those last few blacksmith, necklace, or statues to make it to the end of stage 3. We deemed it not worth the effort for the mediocre reward. Events are more rewarding than this
Yeah, I get it. And don't be shy; mediocre isn't really a good word for these rewards. That implies they're average, and they're just awful honestly. Even the 3rd place building isn't really worth placing vs things you can make in crafting, how crazy is that?

Anything that could make more people want to do this would be great for both the players and Inno's pockets.

DeletedUser24458

And don't be shy; mediocre isn't really a good word for these rewards. That implies they're average, and they're just awful honestly.

You are right. The rewards did not match the amount of effort required. They sucked

DeletedUser2870

In a way I agree. On the other hand, such instances are gone once used, so players with a ton of them can benefit from that either once, or in a lesser way spread out over several events. Besides that, there already is a problem with the coins in the game anyway as there are too few ways to spend them. Not having enough coins is and issue in the first several chapters, after that it's just something that piles up.

To balance the amount of instances people have part of the coinrain instants in events could be replaced with either pet-food or spelfragments for instance. Or maybe they could introduce mana-instants and/or seeds instants to replace some, so that the amount of coinrains people will store goes down. I mean, I have almost 4000% worth of coinrains stored and that's because I keep disenchanting some for spellfragments.
Another solution to that would be to introduce some other ways to spend coins. Several suggestions have already been made