• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Adventure Poll

Deleted User - 4366037

Every now and then I am reminded that this is a game whose purpose is to provide entertainment (and in most ways it does :) ). When it comes to the Fellowship Adventures, however, the feedback I have seen is mostly just stress, with the frequent consensus being that the FAs just involve so much work for so little payoff. This is, of course, anecdotal, so I thought I would post a poll to see how the general community felt. Thanks for your feedback!

AtaguS

I cast my vote based on the frequency of the adventures. I don't necessarily mind the adventures themselves, and really like the concept of them. But they happen so often and since i'm an active member of an active fs, I don't feel it is ok to just "opt out" of one to give myself a break. Perhaps the amount of them a year doesn't seem so bad, but coupled with the events in between, they feel neverending. Would rather see a few more mini-events and one less FA a year.

KarlD

My experience is that the FA is the single most destructive aspect of the game. It's supposed to pull a fs together in a more intimate way than the tournaments, but I've seen people quit an fs on multiple occasions for things associated with the FA. In some cases people left the fs just because the fs was participating in the FA even though it was clear that the FA was completely optional. I guess they just felt guilty about not participating or left out as they see the FA related messages on the message window. In another case members accused other members of being spies or not putting in as much effort into this fs as the other when they had cities in multiple fs. Then there's a weird cascading effect of people leaving a fs so that 2 people leave for some reason and the next thing you know several more are leaving as well. All this for trivial prizes and bragging rights.

Deleted User - 3932582

but I've seen people quit an fs on multiple occasions for things associated with the FA. In some cases people left the fs just because the fs was participating in the FA even though it was clear that the FA was completely optional. I guess they just felt guilty about not participating or left out as they see the FA related messages on the message window. In another case members accused other members of being spies or not putting in as much effort into this fs as the other when they had cities in multiple fs. Then there's a weird cascading effect of people leaving a fs so that 2 people leave for some reason and the next thing you know several more are leaving as well.
All the situations that you're describing have very little to do with FA per se, and point out to underlying problems in FS team dynamic. FA may have been a catalyst, sure, but I wouldn't blame the messenger for the bad news.

Socrates28

I posted this in the other thread and it is how I see it.
As I expressed to my FS earlier that the only reason I was participating in this FA was to make sure that any member of the FS who needed the artifacts would get them. I want to make sure that our smaller players are getting the help they need to develop and grow. Rank has no real attraction for me and helping others does.
IMO if an FS is not going for the top 20 take the cheapest paths to get those prizes and let the rest go. Spending days to get a 2 hr or 5 hr boost is a waste of everyone's time.

Yogi Dave

Personally, I'm not too keen on the FAs. My FS has some people that are, which is fine as long as they don't try and get others to push. So, it's a laid back approach handled very nicely by two members. Everyone in the FS knows we normally do all of the 1st two maps and important side spots on the third, (except this time with the increased badge requirements we went simple) then jump into the pit. As a result, it's not too stressful and doesn't take over chat. Well, except for the time in the pit. Then it's "Shorts, Longs, Jewels" over and over punctuated with the "Anyone have some brews?" or such. Everyone who has opted-in is waited for and those not interested know it isn't a problem to not participate. As always, what's the point if you aren't having fun?

We do wish the prizes were better (I think that's just being human), though keeping the artifacts from the previous event is important since there is always a few people (myself included) that may need just 1 or 2 more artifacts. It just seems like having another decent building would be a good thing too, especially with the increase of badges by 50%. Man, but we can be hard to please. ;)
does my vote really count? Does it?
It made me smile. That counts for me.

KarlD

All the situations that you're describing have very little to do with FA per se, and point out to underlying problems in FS team dynamic. FA may have been a catalyst, sure, but I wouldn't blame the messenger for the bad news.
I agree with what you say, but at the same time you kind of dismiss the entire point of this thread. The question is whether the FA is mostly fun and/or stressful. There's nothing inherently stressful about the FA. You make badges at the pace you decide for yourself. I suspect relatively few fs place a minimal level of participation on FA. The prizes are nominal so there's little pressure to win them and if you want to win them you just need one path to the flag which is not very hard to achieve. Where's the stress in that? Nevertheless somebody thought to ask the question and over 60% of respondents to the survey at the time I wrote this chose mostly stressful. My post gave examples of the results of this stress in my experience and I'm sure others have other examples.

My theory is that competition is inherently stressful. It's the "fight" part, of our fight or flight response. If you're not feeling stress then you probably aren't competing. FA is the first team level competition in Elvenar. Perhaps if tournaments had been structured to encourage competition at the team level they would be found to be similarly stressful. Inno appears to be trying to add a certain level of competition into the Spire by implementing the leaderboard and giving trophies. We'll have to see if that turns into any real competition.