• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Adventure Poll

Yogi Dave

If you're not feeling stress then you probably aren't competing.
Perhaps, but I think this is more about distress. When I'm competing in something and feel 'in the groove', I'm relaxed. When stressed, I make more mistakes and enjoy less. Admittedly, the FA isn't something you can feel 'in the groove' about. Although an FS I was in loved the FA and had such fun with the pit. It really was amazing to sit and watch chat go by with witty and joyful comments as they worked as a team. The pit leaves me mentally drained so I don't do it, but I could enjoy their joy.
And I find competition relaxing
This is more the way I feel.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
I just hate the concept of destroy to win.
It's all about who does not build up your town the most

If it was a completion about support and coordination I'll be all into it. But a completion who leaves the most space open in a city the entire year ain't my cup of tea, On my server we have a team who is all about FA, they have ghost towns with minimal stuff so that can go all out at an FA, essentially not building, not having a town at all.

It's like anti elvenar game, if it was done at an alternative event city it would be so much more fun

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
What I hate about the FA is when one person promises to get a bunch of long term badges, and to deliver them at a certain time. You can see he is working on them because he has all the tons of manufactories in place, so you don't do them yourself. Then, at the appointed delivery time, with ONLY that badge left to do before moving on to the next map, you wait and wait and wait and wait ... a day later ... "oh sorry guys, I forgot." ARGGGGHHHHH

hvariidh gwendrot

there should be a is the effort worth it ? in the survey .. stress is more of an emotion inflicted upon yourself from a stimulus, a frustration .. it wont fix everything as nothing does but, better prizes help, most fellowships do not try for trophy and the prizes have sucked hard for several fa now and players lose interest in trying to win worthless items ..

Alpha Lyrae

I just hate the concept of destroy to win.
It's all about who does not build up your town the most

If it was a completion about support and coordination I'll be all into it. But a completion who leaves the most space open in a city the entire year ain't my cup of tea, On my server we have a team who is all about FA, they have ghost towns with minimal stuff so that can go all out at an FA, essentially not building, not having a town at all.

It's like anti elvenar game, if it was done at an alternative event city it would be so much more fun

Many players, like me, don't leave space for the FA, but happen to have space at the beginning or end of a chapter. If I have the space, then I build level 1 buildings for the FA. If I don't have space then I don't.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Many players, like me, don't leave space for the FA, but happen to have space at the beginning or end of a chapter. If I have the space, then I build level 1 buildings for the FA. If I don't have space then I don't.

That somewhat works untill every member of your guild works that way and had no space at that time.
Then you will be forced to either ignore it, or to destroy parts of your town, with teleport spells there are "other options" now.

But I still hate it.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One

Yes
It often works out that different people will be between chapters each FA.

That somewhat works untill every member of your guild works that way and had no space at that time.
Then you will be forced to either ignore it, or to destroy parts of your town, with teleport spells there are "other options" now.

But I still hate it.

I wouldn't call teleports destructive. I had several saved up and cleared out all my standard factories and a few houses. But they are no more destroyed than a convertible that someone puts in the garage for the Winter.

I am amazed ( not actually surprised ) at how many people are talking about FA specific "ghost towns." Taking the challenge out of the FA would take the fun out for me. I know for a fact that every town in my FS is active year round.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
A lot of ppl complain about the rewards not being good. But i find that a poor argument.

First off, all badges are simply you making things or acuring things. Make supplies, make goods, gather gold, use kp... things your doing anyway. The FA you jsut have to pay attention to what your doing, when and how much. Its not a big stretch off the daily activity (unless your preparing and runnign the fa). So prizes are fitting. You getting something extra for making things you normally would anyway.

My vote goes for 'mostly stressful'. Iv been running the fa's in my fs for the last year or two every single time. And i go out of my way to make it as simple as i can for everyone else in the fs; even tho it can mean a lot more work for me.

I think the biggest causes of stress tho boil down to two main categories; organization and motivation.
Other then tellign you the bage name and how many you have of it.. there really is no in game tools for organizing a fa within your fs. That why many fs and up with someone keeping a spreadsheet or two going and several FA dedicated message threads. Which can make the message box cluttered up. But its even worse if you try to put it all in one or two threads. There is no in game way to keep track of what everyone has made and/or is making. (hence the spreed sheet).

Motivation is a stress factor as well. (Not to mention actually communicating!!!). You can try and make a plan for the fa but most fs are going to have one or more issues with partisipation. Some will opt out, but at least they tell you. Others never say a word. They just simply dont do anything. Other dont say anything, so you cant count them in the plan because they havnt committed and you have no idea they are making anything. Not to mention the massive amount of inactive cities on the servers (which makes recruiting harder so many fs's have a few inactives sitting around until they can find someone to replace them.) - Then you have ppl that might make badges, but never tell what they are making. Or only tell half the time. So all in all it can be very stressful trying to work out a plan that is achievable but a good test for the fs.

Bottom line is.. they are ppl. And not all ppl have the same view point/motivation/prioritys/interest/taking a game more seriously etc etc as the next person. All of this combined is very stressful for someone running an FA. - The only time its less stressful is if you have a full fs or all active players that all have the same goal and time, all communicate perfectly.. basically a fs utopia.. and im guessing 99% of fs dont fit that...

Deleted User - 3932582

You getting something extra for making things you normally would anyway.
Hm, do you run multiples of 50x 5min workshop productions, or multiples of 5x 1d workshop productions, or do you have all 3 types of T1 manufactories in your city as part of doing things "normally"? I don't. I don't have all T1s (so no jewelry badges), and I have grand total of 3 workshops in my city. Do you think that would go a long way in an FA if I just do things that I normally do? Most of the people in my FS are in the same boat, even though they may have a few more workshops.

NightshadeCS

FA situations that cause me stress:

1. Careful clicking. I can't just swipe around my town and pick things up. I have to be careful and double-check by hovering above each one.
2. Resetting correctly. This is less stressful than the above, but I still find a frown on my brow when I'm resetting to make sure I have all my buildings doing what I want them to do, and then counting them all up again so I can accurately report it.
3. Seeing people put badges where they're not wanted. This was not a problem on stage 1 and 2, as we did all paths, but we aren't quite up to the task on stage 3 when there are as many required as Type E. Having done many FAs, this has lessened, as I know to expect it, but it is still causing stress.
4. Having only half my fellowship report badges. As a Grade A Control Freak, I cannot endure this sanguinely.
5. Figuring out what paths to take, or which extra waypoints to finish. This is made worse by 3 and 4.

FA situations that are fun:

1. Working with and encouraging my fellows.
2. Seeing those green check marks (what can I say, I am a completionist).
3. Seeing a more active chat window as people coordinate, which often leads to good-natured repartee.
4. Having a large group log in towards the end to really attack the pit and keep our position strong. Sometimes there is some real movement on the leader board in the last hours, and it is exciting to work together at that time.
5. Knowing that, as a group, we can accomplish a goal.

Keltarra

I suppose it varies completely on the participants and the FS. It's hair pulling madness of math & schedules sometimes, but some like the challenge, teamwork & it's not being a tournament lol.

My biggest concern is the logging players out issue. It's one of the most frustrating aspects. Instead of kicking the player out of the pit if another beat them to a badge or there's 'not enough server availability' , nope just reload their entire account each time. It's a pretty big flaw that causes unnecessary strain on players.

Darielle

FA situations that cause me stress:

1. Careful clicking. I can't just swipe around my town and pick things up. I have to be careful and double-check by hovering above each one.
2. Resetting correctly. This is less stressful than the above, but I still find a frown on my brow when I'm resetting to make sure I have all my buildings doing what I want them to do, and then counting them all up again so I can accurately report it.
3. Seeing people put badges where they're not wanted. This was not a problem on stage 1 and 2, as we did all paths, but we aren't quite up to the task on stage 3 when there are as many required as Type E. Having done many FAs, this has lessened, as I know to expect it, but it is still causing stress.
4. Having only half my fellowship report badges. As a Grade A Control Freak, I cannot endure this sanguinely.
5. Figuring out what paths to take, or which extra waypoints to finish. This is made worse by 3 and 4.

FA situations that are fun:

1. Working with and encouraging my fellows.
2. Seeing those green check marks (what can I say, I am a completionist).
3. Seeing a more active chat window as people coordinate, which often leads to good-natured repartee.
4. Having a large group log in towards the end to really attack the pit and keep our position strong. Sometimes there is some real movement on the leader board in the last hours, and it is exciting to work together at that time.
5. Knowing that, as a group, we can accomplish a goal.
A perfect summation! The only thing I would add as super frustrating is having people report that they are going to have long-term badges in at a certain time, and then to come in a couple hours before the end of the FA and say, "Sorry, I forgot."

Lyinaral

Our FS is small only 8, we combined 2 FS about a week or so before the FA, So this was our 1st FA. We have 2 or 3 big cities the rest are small or just starting. We had 2 or 3 that had just started playing the game. I was real proud of our members, everyone worked together, & put their badges where they were suppose to go. In another FS in another world, we had people putting them just anywhere. There was a little stress, but we all had fun doing it.

NightshadeCS

A perfect summation! The only thing I would add as super frustrating is having people report that they are going to have long-term badges in at a certain time, and then to come in a couple hours before the end of the FA and say, "Sorry, I forgot."
Our group does not pre-arrange in this fashion, thank goodness! It would indeed be #6 on my stress list if we did. o_O o_O

neeronie

I live for Fellowship Adventures, I have to admit it. I thrive on the planning and the teamwork which generate chat and interaction. Yes, it is stressful, but for me personally, I find Events annoying, I guess I don't like little heads telling me to make this and make that and do this and do that for days on end.

KarlD

A lot of ppl complain about the rewards not being good. But i find that a poor argument.
If you don't think it's a good argument that the prizes are poor then you probably are not taking the FA very seriously. If you are really trying to be competitive in the FA then you put a lot into it. Many people use teleport spells and rearrange their cities to make space to place a gazillion workshops and factory sets. This can take hours. Then it's more than a little work setting and carefully collecting productions to collect badges. It's a pain in the butt doing tournament and stopping after each province to collect a spell related badge. It's a pain worrying about collecting badges for every 10 KP I donate. But the biggest pain is that my city is on hold for week. Because my city is filled with all these temporary buildings my city isn't growing. I avoided placing 2 ginormous guest race buildings because I wanted the space for temporary FA buildings. If your FS is very competitive you may win some FS ranking points and a special trophy building that you may not have a use for. The prizes for each stage are not that wonderful relative to the sacrifices many people make. If you are not actually enjoying doing the FA then it's really a big waste of time and resources in my opinion.

Darielle

But the biggest pain is that my city is on hold for week. Because my city is filled with all these temporary buildings my city isn't growing. I avoided placing 2 ginormous guest race buildings because I wanted the space for temporary FA buildings.

I have delayed putting up my fairy portal and farms in order to do the FA, and I am through with all research in the chapter except the ones that need settlement goods, so now I'm dumping KP in mine and others' wonders. I'm setting myself back by 2 weeks, both in preparation for and during the FA. But despite this, I still enjoy the FA, especially if we get a Black Lotus, which I expect we will. Still, I agree with you that the prizes suck in comparison to the sacrifices people make for the FA. All of the prizes in the FA do not make up for the wasted teleport spells, delays, etc. So why do I look forward to the FAs anyway? I don't know ... glutton for punishment? :p

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
C'mon people. FAs are supposed to be team-building events, regardless of the rewards for completing the stages. If what is in the chests is more important to some people than the planning and working together to complete a goal, then maybe those people need to go to a fellowship that does not bother with the FAs and stop stressing and complaining.

Darielle

C'mon people. FAs are supposed to be team-building events, regardless of the rewards for completing the stages. If what is in the chests is more important to some people than the planning and working together to complete a goal, then maybe those people need to go to a fellowship that does not bother with the FAs and stop stressing and complaining.
That would be no fun at all! :p Like I said, I look forward to the FA and it's not so much a complaint saying the prizes suck as an honest evaluation. I love the FAs anyway.