• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Adventures

Will you be participating in the March 2018 Fellowship Adventure?

• Yay, can't wait!

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Meh, if I have too.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • HAHAHA, No.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Shanubi

Inno, could you please stop sucking the fun out of Elvenar? Fellowship Adventures should be fun, challenging, team building exercises with incentivizing prizes that encourage people to work together to reach them. Instead FA's have become ridiculously complicated and expensive, and the prizes are not worth the effort.

I'd love to see a a system where individually earned badges AND group effort advance the Fellowship towards the goal. Example: when Goods (and now Relics) must be delivered to a flag/weighpoint, those items could be delivered incrementally by multiple players until the full amount is reached. Similarly, individually earned badges could be delivered to a Fellowship Storage Vault, so that badges could be delivered as needed, by any member, instead of by the player that earned them. This would alleviate a few flaws. Lastly, I'd rather deliver Enchantments instead of Relics, in whatever way that balances out. And be able to use existing Enchantments towards Wand/Potion/Hat...I have a ridiculous number of enchantments that I'll never use. Or maybe a way to sell enchantments and get relics back?

Also, an idea suggested many many times in the forums, break the FA into brackets/divisions/tiers...based on fellowship ranking. Top prizes shouldn't be reserved for only the top 3 fellowships (who have Millions more points, experience, and $$$ spent than newer fellowships).

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Why aren't you listening to feedback?
To be fair:

We complained about making too many short badges (treant/brew)
-They reduced those, and added spell badges, and more long badges
We complained about too many long badges (Blacksmith/necklace/statue)
-They reduced those and added "Gain troops", "Gain coins", "Spend KP on wonders"
We complained about having too many badges
-They reduced the amount by 40%, but added in some "Pay" quests
We complained about the TM being a poor prize and asked for a good culture&pop prize
-They gave us a good culture&pop prize
We complained about fellowships cheating by swapping in alt accounts
-they made it so you can't do that

The developers seem to have an idea about how hard the FA should be, and I don't think they will budge from that. They will give us different challenges, but not make it easier.

There are some players complaining about how difficult the goods and relics "pay" quests are for small fellowships, or fellowships with fewer members. I think the question we need to ask is "Should those fellowships be able to get the top(non-rank) prize easily?"
The other Fellowship based part of the game is tournaments, and to get the top prize there(non-rank) requires a lot of effort, and is also not attainable for small fellowships with fewer players.

It seems to me that Fellowship Adventures and Fellowship Tournaments both give incentive for building a full, powerful fellowship.

As an example my Winyandor FS that has members with scores between 23,000 and 200,000 (with one 400K new member) we are very close to becoming a "10 chest" FS. We started out as a 4-chest, and have slowly grown, improved and learned until now we are getting 9-10 each week.
There is a great feeling of accomplishment in making progress as a team that wouldn't be there if they had just scaled down the tournament for us back when we had ~20 members.

There are 98 spots open in the top 100 fellowships on Winy, and many of those fellowships will take newer players that are active and willing to learn.
Being in a fellowship of all small players that isn't full is a choice. It can be fun to start small together and slowly grow as a team, but it will also be harder.

Last edited:

Shanubi

idk.
> I haven't gone back to look at exact numbers, but there seemed to be way more badges required in the last FA. Though I did notice and appreciate that there were less Brewers and Treants, the final round required hundreds (combined) of 1-2 day badges.
> The prizes are terrible...they've only gotten worse with every new event.
> not sure about the alt account swapping. I've never understood how it could be done in the first place, or why anyone would bother. I have come across whole fellowships entirely made up of one player though...

To be clear, I love a good challenge, if it was too easy it wouldn't be any fun. BUT, as it's set up now, many players can't even participate. Whether it's because they're on mobile or too new to the game or experiencing communication issues within the game...the FA isn't accessible to everyone.

DeletedUser9601

My FS is leaning towards finishing each Path via the least resistance, and getting the 3 prizes. The Path 3 prizes are actually very nice.
I think the biggest complaint that people should be having is the chat function issues. Given that one player needs to be able to give directions about who should spend badges where, its going to be much harder without chat.

DeletedUser9601

> The prizes are terrible...they've only gotten worse with every new event.

I disagree. Path 3 final prize is better instants than have been previously provided, and a much better building. There are a few types of people who might not want the pop/culture (if you just started the mana chapters, or if you're well into Elementals and have zero free space). But nearly everyone else will benefit from them. That was not the case in previous FAs, when the prize was the Mana Hut (which was mediocre unless you needed mana), and the Travelling Merchants (which have been discussed in other threads as efficient, but not always a good use of space for all players).

Shanubi

I suppose I'm being picky. When I was a newb, and before the FA's were a thing, I earned several prizes during events worth thousands in population and/or culture. 700ish pop/cult, 48/41 per square, doesn't seem worth the effort or expense.
Also, I just don't care for the instants...I only ever seem to use them in the FA itself, to finish badges.

DeletedUser9601

I suppose I'm being picky. When I was a newb, and before the FA's were a thing, I earned several prizes during events worth thousands in population and/or culture. 700ish pop/cult, 48/41 per square, doesn't seem worth the effort or expense.
Also, I just don't care for the instants...I only ever seem to use them in the FA itself, to finish badges.
Oh, I agree 1,000% that the Major Event prizes completely dwarf anything you'd get in a Fellowship Adventure, or during a mini-event. Its kind of silly that logging in twice a week for 30 days to pick up acorns, or snowflakes, or cow poop, and doing maybe 20-30 really basic quests, gets you an incredible building. While devoting an entire week to clicking non-stop might get you something pretty good (but to get something really nice you need to convince 24 friends to do the same).

I'm not really clear why there is such a disparity. Maybe different developers work on FAs vs. events, and they don't communicate?

I will say - don't completely discount the instants. That 50% coin, if you convert all those coins into purchased KPs, could be worth half a tech. And that 50% supplies, if you have a decent barracks and armory, could be several free squad sizes of each unit.

But I agree that the prizes aren't great. I think they're better than they have been, and for my FS (which has lots of high-level players), it isn't a ton of effort to clear 3 paths (Blue-Green-Green, or Orange-Green-Green) to get more KPs than we'd get in a tournament.

Shanubi

Soggy, there are some significant differences between the tournaments and FA's. In the Tournaments, everyone that participates gets some cool prizes, while more advanced groups spend more and earn more. They also require zero team coordination. FA's require a fully coordinated effort, between strangers in various timezones, with flawed communication. To have any chance at successfully completing all three stages fellowships use off site spreadsheets. That's a ton of effort, for prizes with debatable value.
As I imagine a bracketed system, ALL fellowships, regardless of status, would have a better chance at winning something cool, but the prizes would be bigger and better the higher the fellowship advanced.
And come on, don't pretend all the top ranked fellowships got there by effort...the one thing they all have in common are those blue roofs.
I don't mind advancing my fellowship slowly, but the FA should be exciting for everyone, not only top ranked fellowships.

Last edited:

Shanubi

True Tedious, sometimes I like the windfalls, the supplies anyway. I'm always maxed on coinage... and Dwarves tech has progressed so slowly that I have nothing left to spend KP on. I've upgraded AW's, shared with others, bought goods I don't really need just so I can collect my coins. I've stopped checking in daily to apply KP and have only been logging in on mobil to collect/produce more granite and copper.
The fact that Mobil players can't participate in tourneys and FA is beyond annoying.

DeletedUser11886

I got a whole bunch of the 14 hour instants in December, and as soon as my scout times got to about 14 hours, I used them to blaze through scouting several provinces in one day.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Soggy, there are some significant differences between the tournaments and FA's. In the Tournaments, everyone that participates gets some cool prizes, while more advanced groups spend more and earn more. They also require zero team coordination. FA's require a fully coordinated effort, between strangers in various timezones, with flawed communication. To have any chance at successfully completing all three stages fellowships use off site spreadsheets. That's a ton of effort, for prizes with debatable value.
A decent amount of effort gets you 80 KP and some relics/runes/spells in the tournament
A bit more effort gets you 80 KP in the FA. Also you get a building and some instants.
Yes if requires more coordination, and yes 3rd party tools really help, but I would argue that gaining what is basically a premium building makes it worth it.
And come on, don't pretend all the top ranked fellowships got there by effort...the one thing they all have in common are those blue roofs.
There is a huge difference between "Top" fellowships and the very top fellowships. My fellowships are ranked #22 and #32, and we only have 3-4 players with "blue roofs", and none in my cities.
Winyandor DERPS
Top player rank 38
Second rank 541
Second smallest 5,690
Our smallest member is ranked #8,481:eek:

Khelonaar DERPS
Top player rank 321
Second rank 328
Second smallest #17,976
Our smallest member is ranked #20,229:eek:

Also, of those FS that completed the last FA, one is ranked 273, and another ranked 227. Hardly "top fellowships"

Last edited:

Shanubi

Back to revise my earlier statements. After looking more closely at the various routes and stages, it’s clear to me that this FA is intended for more advanced fellowships. I appreciate that Orcs are required on only one path, but the goods requirements are on all paths, unavoidable, and beyond reach for any lower chapter players. Heck I’m in Dwarves and would have a heck of a time coming up with 100’s of thousands of Goods! Would mind this element at all if the amount were based on level (as is the case with many quest req’s).

NightshadeCS

I agree with Soggy above. We are ranked 33 and use very few diamonds (me, none). For the most part, we have all had a great time playing in the FA, but we have a delightful Archmage who always stresses voluntary participation and good-naturedness. The last round definitely soured some folks, but I am hoping this time will improve a bit. We use a spreadsheet, though not everyone participates in that fully, either.

As for the goods required, if you have a full fellowship, even the 300k amounts on the third screen only equal to 36k per member. That doesn't seem too bad to me. I suppose there are some fellowships that have a lot of newer players that may find that unattainable. To be blunt, though, I don't think they are meant to finish that third screen. And that is fine with me. We don't all have to "win." :eek:

bkbajb

Inno, could you please stop sucking the fun out of Elvenar? Fellowship Adventures should be fun, challenging, team building exercises with incentivizing prizes that encourage people to work together to reach them. Instead FA's have become ridiculously complicated and expensive, and the prizes are not worth the effort.

I'd love to see a a system where individually earned badges AND group effort advance the Fellowship towards the goal. Example: when Goods (and now Relics) must be delivered to a flag/weighpoint, those items could be delivered incrementally by multiple players until the full amount is reached. Similarly, individually earned badges could be delivered to a Fellowship Storage Vault, so that badges could be delivered as needed, by any member, instead of by the player that earned them. This would alleviate a few flaws. Lastly, I'd rather deliver Enchantments instead of Relics, in whatever way that balances out. And be able to use existing Enchantments towards Wand/Potion/Hat...I have a ridiculous number of enchantments that I'll never use. Or maybe a way to sell enchantments and get relics back?

Also, an idea suggested many many times in the forums, break the FA into brackets/divisions/tiers...based on fellowship ranking. Top prizes shouldn't be reserved for only the top 3 fellowships (who have Millions more points, experience, and $$$ spent than newer fellowships).[/QUOT

I agree with the storage vault idea. People do have lives and having the vault would allow us to add the items we make automatically. When it comes to goods, orcs, relics we can add the quantity we want and if they are not used, have them returned to the person who put them in the vault.

DeletedUser7978

I am ignoring it and will not play at all unless it is made worth my while. It is a stupid and tedious exercise for nothing and I will not participate period. Nor will most of my fellowship.

bkbajb

True Tedious, sometimes I like the windfalls, the supplies anyway. I'm always maxed on coinage... and Dwarves tech has progressed so slowly that I have nothing left to spend KP on. I've upgraded AW's, shared with others, bought goods I don't really need just so I can collect my coins. I've stopped checking in daily to apply KP and have only been logging in on mobil to collect/produce more granite and copper.
The fact that Mobil players can't participate in tourneys and FA is beyond annoying.

I am curious about how many AW 's you have. Seems odd that they are all upgraded and you are in the Dwarve chapter. Maybe I missed something and if so I apologize. I am about 2/3 of the way done with Orcs and I am no whaere near maxing out any of my AW's.

CanDaMan

My FS is not doing this one. If they are going to require goods, relics, and gold; they should base the amounts required on the average score of the fellowship members. It could be calculated once, at the beginning of the event, as new players can't play anyway.

DeletedUser9601

My FS is not doing this one. If they are going to require goods, relics, and gold; they should base the amounts required on the average score of the fellowship members. It could be calculated once, at the beginning of the event, as new players can't play anyway.
That would be insanely hard for developers to do. Two people with the same score could have vastly different cities. Plus, that's a big advantage to filling out your FS with completely new players.

Its been mentioned elsewhere, but A. you can avoid these costs if you pick the right paths, and B. its not a big ask when you factor in splitting the burden among 25 FS members).

CanDaMan

That would be insanely hard for developers to do. Two people with the same score could have vastly different cities. Plus, that's a big advantage to filling out your FS with completely new players.

Its been mentioned elsewhere, but A. you can avoid these costs if you pick the right paths, and B. its not a big ask when you factor in splitting the burden among 25 FS members).

I stand by my post. I understand that dominant fellowships (like yours) do not want to give up any of that dominance, for any reason. Why exactly are there scores of dead cities? New players give up, they cannot get a fair shake in this game, but that doesn't matter to big fellowships like yours.

The FA is SUPPOSED to be about fellowship cooperation toward a common goal, not having the huge fellowships squash the little fellowship bugs, just to feel superior. If the little fellowship works (on an even play-field) together better than the large one, they should win!

You could use another metric to level it out, but I still see a disadvantage to newer players - no space (for one). I'm just presenting an idea, I believe it has merit.