• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fellowship Message Thread Excluding Fellows After Message Deletion

• Thread starter DeletedUser20951
  • Start date

DeletedUser20951

I'm hoping this is a bug, anyway, and not intentional behavior for the messaging system, because it will demand keeping my inbox cluttered up and I can't stand clutter. Also, unless there's been significant improvement since I last regularly made use of it, having more than a few different message topics in the box increases the rate of glitching and even lag.

The situation: I created a fellowship thread and was receiving the responses from my fellows until I offhandedly deleted it out of habit (I do like to keep open communications up is case I want to add something, but I'm rusty). Tested it again with a different browser and my other city, same result. It did add on a new fellow to the conversation that wasn't present when the thread was made, which is good, but, in the past, all messages in the thread were retrieved and presented to you when a new response was posted, no matter whether you had clicked it out from your mail or not. I want that function back. Kicking players from a discussion if they accidentally (or mistakenly believe it won't permanently ban them from it), is not an acceptable setup.

If there's a temporary solution, a way to put yourself back into a convo without creating a new one, I'm all ears.

DeletedUser20951

Been considering the implications, if this is global. Many, many, many players may be getting a bad rap as unresponsive, when the real problem is that they aren't receiving additional fellowship messages.

DeletedUser20951

Been that way for at least three years, since I started playing.
Now that's weird. It wasn't like that for me in the fellowship I was a member of last year, nor when I played in other active fellowships in the past. I could delete messages with impunity and they would still return when someone posted to the thread.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
I think if you post in it and only delete the inbox one and don't delete it from the outbox you can still get the message back.

DeletedUser20951

I think if you post in it and only delete the inbox one and don't delete it from the outbox you can still get the message back.
Oh hey, I had noticed that deleting a message from the inbox also deletes it simultaneously in the outbox now, but I have no idea of when that change was made. Could definitely be linked, although I was always obsessive about clearing out both sections, especially after all the glitches with false notifications for new messages that didn't exist.

DeletedUser20951

Of course, there's no way to know how many messages I might have been missing out on, but it was still a common occurrence that threads revived after I had erased them, with all of the previous posts present. Enough to convince me that that was how the mail was supposed to function, anyway.

DeletedUser20951

Wait, I refuse to believe that only player to player direct messaging is meant to be recovered in your inbox with a new post from the other party and not the fellowship ones, too, and that what I experienced before was the bug. Doesn't compute. Your username continues to show up in the listing of recipients, as well, which suggests new messages should still be sent to you. I mean, it wouldn't altogether surprise me, not with the profusion of illogical programming over the years, and if the powers that be say it is functioning as intended, I'm jumping to Suggestions, I guess.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
All I know for sure is, for example, when I am in a fellowship and there is an optional KP sharing conversation going, that I never comment on, and I delete it from my inbox, I never see another message in that conversation. But I have also accidentally deleted conversations about tournaments or FAs that I had commented on, and I never saw another message in those either. And nothing for them was still in the outbox either. For that matter, I do not remember anything even being in my outbox unless I was the one who started the conversation. And then it was only the first message sent and not subsequent messages in the conversation.

Some of this may be why we have not gotten the messaging yet for the mobile version, because it is still a mess in the browser version, and they cannot seem to make it so it works right in both.

DeletedUser20951

Some of this may be why we have not gotten the messaging yet for the mobile version, because it is still a mess in the browser version, and they cannot seem to make it so it works right in both.
Aye, there's gotta serious problems, indeed, to delay the introduction of such a core feature to the mobile version of a game that touts fellowship and cooperation. Has there ever been any word that the messaging system was third party developed like the chatbox is? (and why they struggle to fix it when it breaks)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I haven't seen an official confirmation that the chat was 3rd party developed and wouldn't expect it to be acknowledged if the msg system is the same.
Either way, the only improvement I've noticed in the msg system the entire time I've played was when they fixed copy/paste so we no longer needed to use the cumbersome Flash Player workaround. It's not unusual in my larger city's FS for someone to accidentally delete the KP swap threads. They just send a msg and we cancel the old one & start a new one including them again. It's been that way so long, I don't recall it ever not being an issue. Our swap threads are fairly active, so we end up cancelling/starting new ones regularly anyway since they get slow to load when they get long, so it's not a big problem.
I do refer it it as an Antique message system, lol! Can't even copy/paste from Word and get proper column formatting, etc, lol!
I don't think it's a bug. While I think it is technically 'intended behavior', my guess is Inno would prefer a better system as well, but for whatever reason has an issue providing that.

DeletedUser4194

The ingame messaging system has always worked this way. Once you delete a message, you will be locked out of it and will not be able to see it, even as it continues to be active. So if the message is for the whole fellowship, when you delete it, you get excluded from the conversation while the rest of the members continue to see, access, and reply to the message.

Since this is not a bug, I am removing it from the bugs section.

DeletedUser20951

Whoa, it'd been so long without a response, I'd forgotten I posted about this (and have since almost completely abandoned using fellowship messaging, as it's fairly useless as is). I maintain that it is a horribly functioning feature, but I'm not currently in the mood to scream fruitlessly into the void, so an "eh" on the matter will suffice.

DeletedUser20396

Whoa, it'd been so long without a response, I'd forgotten I posted about this (and have since almost completely abandoned using fellowship messaging, as it's fairly useless as is). I maintain that it is a horribly functioning feature, but I'm not currently in the mood to scream fruitlessly into the void, so an "eh" on the matter will suffice.

We used discord a bit, and in another game, they use Line.

DeletedUser20951

We used discord a bit, and in another game, they use Line.
I'm not only a minimalist when it comes to art, but games, as well, and prefer to have all features included within the game (and I see it as Inno's responsibility to provide this), but I can certainly understand outsourcing for reliable communication when the company refuses to meet such basic demands.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Aha but only if you had opened it prior to logging out. And that's been 'fixed' for months now.
In fact, Elvenar's 'wonderful' mail system is what gets me shaking my head when we start complaining about its absence on the app! Really the app players need some system but do they deserve the current one?

DeletedUser2959

I'm not only a minimalist when it comes to art, but games, as well, and prefer to have all features included within the game (and I see it as Inno's responsibility to provide this), but I can certainly understand outsourcing for reliable communication when the company refuses to meet such basic demands.
My only regret is that I have but one like to give for this comment.

Arkadia

I maintain that it is a horribly functioning feature, but I'm not currently in the mood to scream fruitlessly into the void, so an "eh" on the matter will suffice.

This is actually a wonderful feature!
Imagine u not wanting to see a mail thread, and u would not be able to delete it, or remove urself. That would be much more irritating then making sure u keep the threads u want to follow ;)

cheers, and enjoy! ;)