• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fewer events and FAs

Elf Emma

It's definitely easy to go onto the people seeking fellowship thread and post your areas of interest.
Lots of fellowships have openings.
Of course there are lots of fellowships that seek active players but typically those are not the fellowships with a full roster of active members just looking to replace the one that has become inactive.

Most fellowships have a third or more of their roster inactive.

I am willing to compromise on participating in FA’s in order to have the support of an active fellowship in more rewarding activities. Others may feel they are willing to compromise on the support of an active fellowship rather than participating. I suppose if you “only do what you want” then a fellowship of 1 is a solution, but not much point in that.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I’m probably the only one that feels this way but I really like the FA’s for the “team building“ component.
From what I have read on the forums you aren't the only one. In fact, everyone* seems to enjoy that aspect.
The #1 problem is that doing 9 paths gives the exact same reward as doing 3 paths.
The #2 problem is that anyone who got 9 artifacts in the previous event doesn't even have an incentive to do the minimum
The #3 problem is that if your team does go all-out, your results depend on other players whom you have no control over. E.G. You getting 50,000 points could get you 1st place, or you might not even be in the top 20, it's totally out of your control.

*except for solo players, but I'm not sure how to improve the Fellowship Adventures for them...

Soleil Nightbloom

The #1 problem is that doing 9 paths gives the exact same reward as doing 3 paths.

We noticed that issue pretty early on which is why my fellowship only does one path and gives a grace period for players to contribute before the flag is pulled. I usually get extra artifacts from the events and wish there was a way that I could give my other fellows my extra artifacts to help them evolve some of their buildings. There’s always going to be a few that want to do their own thing unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done.

NightshadeCS

This thread has revealed something important. Soleil mentioned that she really enjoys the team-building and everyone trying their hardest to attain their goal, but then also reveals that they do only one path. This is where the FA messes up. For those fellowships where completing one path on each stage is a bit of a challenge, it can be really fun to try for and attain that goal. For fellowships where one path is a blind walk in the park, there is no incentive. FAs need something in between the summit prizes and the top 20 prizes, something for groups to strive for who can do more than one path, but don't want to drop loads of $$$ to get into the top 20. Maybe we would use a few diamonds or a few dollars to finish up a couple of badges in that case.

Also, I agree with the above post that the monotony of event - FA - event - FA - ad infinitum has gotten extremely boring. I like that you can count on picking up those last 1 or 2 evolving artifacts, but it would be great if a few FA's were replaced by mini events or craftsman challenges (did we love or hate those, can't remember).

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
FAs need something in between the summit prizes and the top 20 prizes,
Following up on @Jackluyt 's idea for artifact fragments where it would take 100 of them to make an artifact @SoggyShorts had a great idea for adding them to the FA in this post:
Artifact Fragments
The post goes into how adding these to the Spire would even out the RNG for the artifacts there, but also talks about putting them in the FA waypoints:
The current FA gives 2 artifacts.
The FA has 54 regular spots, 18 tri-color spots, plus 3 starting flags.
5 points per tri-color2 points per regular spot1 point per flagGives you 201 Artifact Fragments
  • Doing just one path each stage would give 67 AF which is a lower reward, but
  • There would actually be a reason to do more than 1 path!

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Following up on @Jackluyt 's idea for artifact fragments where it would take 100 of them to make an artifact @SoggyShorts had a great idea for adding them to the FA in this post:
Artifact Fragments
The post goes into how adding these to the Spire would even out the RNG for the artifacts there, but also talks about putting them in the FA waypoints:

They could also drop a few into the bonus tournament chests, which have rather bland and uninteresting rewards right now!
:)

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
catching up on several posts
so here's my comments in no particular order

i like the events
this current event is so easy that when i played it in beta with no cheat sheet and no pre planning i still finished early and got the evolving building twice. (which is good because i accidentally deleted the first one)

i like the FAs.
my FS has fun fighting for a top 5 spot. and as frustrating as they can be as soon as they end we are talking about the next one. "next time we need more of this badge"
Also remember, FAs are you chance to get two more artifacts from the previous event

i like the spire and tourny
yes the spire is too expensive. but i get to the top every week anyway. and it is nice to collect all those prizes at the end of the week.
and the tourny has certainly improved over the years.

um
so i think that's everything

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
wow i missed the whole second page
so let me talk a little more about FAs

From what I have read on the forums you aren't the only one. In fact, everyone* seems to enjoy that aspect.
The #2 problem is that anyone who got 9 artifacts in the previous event doesn't even have an incentive to do the minimum
The #3 problem is that if your team does go all-out, your results depend on other players whom you have no control over. E.G. You getting 50,000 points could get you 1st place, or you might not even be in the top 20, it's totally out of your control.
I think there are two ways to do FAs.
If you are in a very active FS full of players who like the challenge and competition. Then you go for a top place finish and you do all or most of all 9 paths. ( my FS generally skip a few spots on the 3rd map)
And you have things like spreadsheets and math nerd team leaders constantly calculating what needs to be produced.
Also, if you are a good FS you have people checking to see if everyone gets on the map before you finish it. I know if we aren't careful my FS can finish Map 1 in a few hours and move on before some people get home from work and get a chance to participate.
So that's the first way. If you like the challenge of going for the top, you go all out on every path.

Now the second way is for FS' that either do not enjoy the challenge, or just don't yet have the people/resources to go big.
For those FS, which I suspect is the majority. It is silly to do multiple paths. The extra points will get you nothing. And unless you really care that you were #50 instead of #57 why stress about it?
Just choose the easiest path on each map and do it.
You can always still play the pit if you want.

oh a separate note on Soggy's point #2
As has been stated numerous times. It is a team event. And anybody who looks at it selfishly just doesn't belong in an FS.
I guarantee you that any FS that ends in the Top 5 has multiple players with no personal interest in the artifacts. But they still work hard for the team.

*except for solo players, but I'm not sure how to improve the Fellowship Adventures for them...

It is after all called a FELLOWSHIP Adventure
So if someone does not want to be in an FS well then who cares if they cannot get those extra two artifacts they wanted?

SoggyShorts

for FS' that either do not enjoy the challenge, or just don't yet have the people/resources to go big. For those FS, which I suspect is the majority. It is silly to do multiple paths.
There are plenty of fellowships who have the players and resources to do more and would enjoy the challenge IF there was a reward for it.

There should be rewards that
1. are of at least some benefit to all of the players in a FS
2. make a difference between doing 1 or 3 paths other than going from 60th to 25th place.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I think what's missing from your post is the mixed FS.
If all 25 players are on the same page, great just do the bare minimum or go all-out and aim for top 5.
But if you have a mix where
5 need 2 artifacts,​
5 need 1 artifact,​
5 would go all out just for something to do, and​
10 don't care at all (but obviously are willing to help because they are part of the team)​

Well then the FA is pretty lame.
The 5 "all-out" types are going to be "disappointed" in the result.​
The 10 who need artifacts are probably "satisfied", and​
The 10 who are only there to help are probably "fine" with it.​

The meta score for the FA in such a FS would be around 4/10.
Both the critics and the audience would be throwing rotten tomatoes.
------------------------------

The solution could be to find a FS that better fits, but if the tournament, spire, visits, trade, and friendship are all just right for you I don't think trading those for a FS where the FA is a better fit would be worth it for most.

NightshadeCS

@SoggyShorts , you hit the nail on the head there. My #1 city is in just such a fellowship and most of us have been together for years and love our group like a family. It would not be worth it for us to trade out members who feel like the rewards in the FA are not worth it, since those members are friends AND are also the heavy hitters in Spire and Tournament (where they feel the rewards are definitely worth it).

Now, I do not expect Inno to cater to my particular situation. We do what we do and get along just fine. But I agree 100% that there seems to be a great disparity that leaves a lot of people less than satisfied that could be fixed fairly easily (with suggestions that have been offered up here).

SoggyShorts

Call me weird, but FA is my favourite part of the game. I love the camaraderie and the engagement with other fellows. I agree that the rewards could be much better, but this really isn't my reason for participating.
That's actually a much more common sentiment that you'd think with all of the belly-aching we do about the FAs.
A lot of players, perhaps even "most" players find the FA to be an excellent part of the Elvenar experience...in theory.
The issue is that even for players where it's their favourite part like yourself their forum posts on it still come with the caveat that "the rewards could be better."
This doesn't have to mean a free Magic residence or some other powerful reward, the experience just needs to be more rewarding in some way- even if it's just a greater feeling of accomplishment. As is, many don't feel that doing 1,2, or 3 paths on each stage is any greater accomplishment because there is no real milestone marker for doing so.

The FA is and always has been just really out of line with the rest of the game's events.
For example:
by doing the same thing as making an FA badge during this Carnival event you get enough candies to open 2-3 chests giving you rather significant rewards.
If you make 4% of the badges (1/25) required to complete all 3 paths on all 3 stages you've put in more time and effort than the entire Carnival event which gives 9 artifacts, a dozen daily prizes, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The comparison is insane.

LutherTheHairy

Fellowship adventures are not hard work if all the FS takes part and communicates with threads for each badge.

Landing a spacecraft on Mars is not hard work if the requirements are all well defined and carefully and sensibly decomposed into how all subsystems and the tens of thousands of parts/lines of code perform and interface with each other. The fact is a lot of work has to go into tracking, planning ahead who will work on what, having sufficient margin so if someone's power in Texas goes out for three days who was making all the Statues etc. They take a lot of central planning by someone, and followup reminders and communication to go off well. Try being the lead cat herder for your fellowship's next event. Maybe it is my fellowship, but I am surprised if it far from the norm.

Call me weird, but FA is my favourite part of the game.

They ARE fun. it is just exhausting to have Event-FA, Event-FA on a 1.5-2 month repeat cycle.

LutherTheHairy

this thread in the FB group Gems of Elvenar is germane to this discussion. (You may have to join to view). It started with this joke image...
151451240_1177959329326963_641927805574938042_n.jpg

A lot of people are tired of FAs, but there is likely some selection effect for that bias in the thread.