• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

FIGHTING AWs

Nimitz69

6 Ancient Wonders maximize troop strength.
Martial Monastery/Sanctuary increases Troop HEALTH so they last longer.

Each unit has an AW to increase DAMAGE.
Needles of the Tempest - L. Ranged
Heros' Forge - H. Melee
Dragon Abbey - Mage
Temple of the Toads - H. Ranged
Victory Springs - L. Melee

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
6 Ancient Wonders help troops.
Martial Monestary/Sanctuary increases Troup HEALTH so they last longer.

Each unit has an AW to increase DAMAGE.
Needles of the Tempest - L. Ranged
Heros' Forge - H. Melee
Dragon Abbey - Mage
Temple of the Toads - H. Ranged
Victory Springs - L. Melee
Also Simia Sapiens gives unit production bonus so you will have more troops. Btw, check out the AW thread in Sorcerers Scrolls of knowledge section. :) All info and more.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Tournament Arena gives drone riders as well.
Shrine of Champions gives Orc Warriors.
Tree of Enlightenment gives Rangers.
Ancestral Resting place gives Banshees.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Strengthening troops first is the point. No good to be able to make troops if they cannot do anything.
Mmm...I dunno. I've been doing a lot of fighting experiments with my chap 3 city. Only Archers and Sword Dancers have a promotion and the only wonder I have down is a lvl 5 Needles, which means I'm still more or less bare knuckling the fights unless I'm using Archers (don't even have Dryads yet). Well, it seems like I can fight half the Lab, despite having no buff buildings or Fire Phoenix either. After crunching the numbers, it seems like the first encounter of Lab in the Spire is about Province 17* in tourney and the last encounter of Lab is about Province 20* of tourney. That means there's absolutely no way for me to make back that many troops in time for the following week. However, for every battle you can win fighting in the Lab section, it means no need to spend diamonds at all catering and then it's pure diamond profits from the Spire. If I can fight the Lab since chap 3, then wow, I'm going to be a goods millionaire in no time since Lab is the biggest expenditure of goods weekly. Therefore, I would argue to give me more troop production now and I don't care to strengthen them til later. Learn to fight properly and those lvl 1 troops can still go a long way.

Last edited:

crackie

AWs make it harder to fight because opponent Squad Sizes increase.
Squads increase in size but the ratio remains the same. It's the same ratio for everyone at the same point in the Spire and Tournament no matter what you build in your city or what chapter it's in. Therefore, fighting can only get easier because your wonders, evolve/buff buildings, boost your troops' offense, defense, and/or health. The "harder" part is making back enough troops in time for next week because more troops used in battle = more dead troops that need replacing. The actual difficulty of a battle is self-imposed by how far or deep you want to climb the Spire or go into tournament. The further you go, the wider the ratio gets between your troops and enemy troops. And if you stick to just the first 5 or 6 provinces in tourney, then it's never going to be hard because you always have the ratio advantage.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Having the 6 Troop Strength AWs evenly upgraded would solve my weaknesses
That would be a mistake IMO.
Although the game appears to have a rock-paper-scissors system to fighting the reality is that Range>Everything in combat here.
Add to that the comparatively easy to acquire ELR and MMM buildings and Archers and Mages are superior to other unit types.
I've gone for weeks without using a single melee unit

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Although the game appears to have a rock-paper-scissors system to fighting the reality is that Range>Everything in combat here.
Add to that the comparatively easy to acquire ELR and MMM buildings and Archers and Mages are superior to other unit types.
I've gone for weeks without using a single melee unit
I am not disagreeing with anything you say. Mage units and light range units are by far the most powerful units in the game, due to their range and the ELR/MMM buildings. However you seem to be taking it to a bigger extreme than I do. I do rely on my mage units and LR units more than anything else. But I've never gone weeks without using melee units. I get great results out of Cerberus and use them all the time. I will grant that this is primarily due to their great movement rate. The high movement rate of Cerberus basically makes them the closest thing there is to a long range melee unit.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
However you seem to be taking it to a bigger extreme than I do.
Indeed, I'm sure that I stand as a more extreme example. I logged in once per week from April to Aug only to help the FS with Spire and the tournament so I simplified things. Still, even now that I'm playing more than 20min per week I find myself using mages and LR ~90-95% of the time. With Orc strats or dogs making up almost all of the rest.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Indeed, I'm sure that I stand as a more extreme example. I logged in once per week from April to Aug only to help the FS with Spire and the tournament so I simplified things. Still, even now that I'm playing more than 20min per week I find myself using mages and LR ~90-95% of the time. With Orc strats or dogs making up almost all of the rest.
You don't use Frogs?

crackie

I get great results out of Cerberus and use them all the time. I will grant that this is primarily due to their great movement rate. The high movement rate of Cerberus basically makes them the closest thing there is to a long range melee unit.
Cerberus has significant advantages autofighting in certain situations due to the fact they do not adhere to Initiative order targeting, which is unlike most units.

Henroo said:
You don't use Frogs?
Frogs lose certain advantages autofighting due to the fact they do adhere pretty strictly to Initiative targeting. For example, you have the Frog there to target the Hellhound, but he’s gonna shoot at the Light Range instead.

Gkyr

Chef
I have operated along these lines and can recommend a hierarchy (Elves).
For everyone the mainstay of offense is the LR, Archers and, later, Rangers for Elves. Because of this I upgraded Needles up to lvl 12 quickly early on.

Then I began to realize how often an Elf uses Golems. They seem to be present much more than LR. Being both capable offense and even better defense they enter battles both with and without LR. Therefore, although my Dr Abbey (Mage) had been sited, I upgraded ToT until it reached 20 or so.

Along the lines of troop frequency, the Monastery (Sanctuary for Humans) takes top honors. While I was upgrading the above, I was also upgrading my Monastery sporadically because it benefitted every troop on the field. Finally, when I had LR and HR reasonably buffed (lvl teens to twenty), I made the commitment to max my MM first. It is a particularly KP costly AW but, to repeat, it benefits every troop on the field.

Mages are great and I love using them but my MF strategy relied on them much less than LR and HR. Therefore, based on frequency of use, I maxed ToT next.

After bring Dr Abbey up a little more to keep up with the tougher fights, I chose to max Needles.

Finally I just finished maxxing DrAbbey.

Needles to say (pun), I concentrated on troop strength. Now I am leveling up training queues (already sited but researched usually only while my main AWs were upgrading).

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Frogs lose certain advantages autofighting due to the fact they do adhere pretty strictly to Initiative targeting. For example, you have the Frog there to target the Hellhound, but he’s gonna shoot at the Light Range instead.
I actually like this feature. A lot of times there will be a group of enemies that mages would be great against. Except for that 1 pesky Mistwalker who is tagging along. I can send in a group of 3 Priests/Blossoms (depending on if it my human or elven city) with 2 Frogs. The Frogs take out the Mistwalker early and then the Mages deal with the rest.