• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

FIGHTING AWs

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I actually like this feature. A lot of times there will be a group of enemies that mages would be great against. Except for that 1 pesky Mistwalker who is tagging along. I can send in a group of 3 Priests/Blossoms (depending on if it my human or elven city) with 2 Frogs. The Frogs take out the Mistwalker early and then the Mages deal with the rest.
Yes, I do that too, but it doesn't allow you to protect your mages from hellhounds. Other HR elf units like Golem/Orc Strat, HM, and LM all cannot reach a hellhound to weaken/kill them before they act. You're left with subpar pairings like LR or mages on that hellhound or just accept he'll live to take a giant bite out of your squishy blossoms and the bite hurts a LOT! Whereas in the same battle with same lineup manual fighting, I can tell the frogs to take care of that doggie to leave Buddy and her friends alone. Particularly irksome in scroll and dust tourney when just about every class is present.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yes, I do that too, but it doesn't allow you to protect your mages from hellhounds. Other HR elf units like Golem/Orc Strat, HM, and LM all cannot reach a hellhound to weaken/kill them before they act. You're left with subpar pairings like LR or mages on that hellhound or just accept he'll live to take a giant bite out of your squishy blossoms and the bite hurts a LOT! Whereas in the same battle with same lineup manual fighting, I can tell the frogs to take care of that doggie to leave Buddy and her friends alone. Particularly irksome in scroll and dust tourney when just about every class is present.
Yeah, but if the enemy lineup has both Hellhounds AND light range then mage units are probably a suboptimal choice. Sending along a couple of Frogs to protect your mages from a Mistwalker makes sense. And sending along a couple of Frogs to protect your mages from a Hellhound makes sense. But if there are both Mistwalkers and Hellhounds present, then leaving the mages at home entirely makes sense.

crackie

Yeah, but if the enemy lineup has both Hellhounds AND light range then mage units are probably a suboptimal choice.
Like I’ve said, scroll and dust tourney has almost all classes represented in the enemy lineup. It’s hard to hedge against every class.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Wish I was a Human instead of a Elf. I do not seem to get the ELR and MMM in MA. I think MA gives you more of what you craft.
I do not think being human or elf has any impact on what appears for crafting in the MA. However if you want to try a human city, you can easily do so. A single account is allowed 1 city on each world. And the US version of Elvenar has 8 worlds. If you wish to found a new city, exit part of the way out of the game to the title screen. It will show you "worlds you already play." Instead of selecting your current world, select a different one. And you will be allowed to start a new city there.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yeah, yeah, golems are decent, but not enough to tip the scales back.
In addition, Elvish archers are better than human crossbowmen. However in the end I don't think the archers and golems combined tip the scales. Priests are just so damn good. I do find myself using archers more and rangers less in order to free up the Mercenary Camp to train more Blossoms. I've gotten the 4 star promotion for my archers and have not gotten it yet for my rangers, so right now my archers are nearly as good as a ranger anyway.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I prefer my Elf Cities over the Human one, and use archers, buddies, and golems on low-level fights and have no problem with them.
The first floor is where all Buds & Dancers go to die I barely even look at the matchups at all- same for the first few provinces: if you are using a few buff buildings and a fire chicken you can send 5 of a kind blindly and win just about every fight.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The first floor is where all Buds & Dancers go to die I barely even look at the matchups at all- same for the first few provinces: if you are using a few buff buildings and a fire chicken you can send 5 of a kind blindly and win just about every fight.
D'oh! why didn't I think of that?

Yogi Dave

As human, I use a lot of blossom mages. They have a higher initiative than the priest and a higher hit point count. Those 2 combined make them good for attacking the enemy mages. They are also boosted against HM, but it's not such a big deal with those lumbering thugs. However, the priests are better against HR and sometimes you don't want your mage to move 1st.

I've also found the 4-star crossbows to be very useful. since they have a better defense and attack than the ranger except against mages. At times they even pair well with rangers. The ranger hits 1st debuffing the enemy defense then the crossbow can finish it off with its shot. Even if it doesn't finish it, the enemy's attack has been reduced which makes it less do less damage against the ranger on its next move.

I've gone for weeks without using a single melee unit
I really hate having to use either melee type because always some much die. I do use them, especially the lizards, but have to train some more every week.

EDIT: I should mention that I do some manual in the upper provs. Mixing units works a lot better when you control the action. An on the field general instead of in the armchair.

Last edited:

Nimitz69

I really hate having to use either melee type because always some much die. I do use them, especially the lizards, but have to train some more every week.
AGAIN: "Heroes Forge AW" and "Victory Springs AW" STRENGTHEN Melee.
They do not come into play until the end of Research Chapters 8 and 12. **

ONCE MORE: MMM, ELR, UUU, and, Dwarven Armorer ALL need to be Crafted or Won in the Spire. Even using TWO "Trees" gives great results.

ETC., ETC.: Martial/Monestary, Fire Phoenix.

Needles of the Tempest (NotT) is the 1st Strengthening AW; consequently, NotT gets upgraded much Faster and Higher.
Upgraded NotT, combined with ELR, explains INITIAL SUPERIORITY of Light Ranged.

** Don't forget that I have reached the top of the Spire only once.

Last edited:

crackie

They do not come into play until end of Research Chapters 8 and 12.
Strengthening them helps their offense, but it doesn’t prevent them from dying or taking extensive damage because they are melee units and need to be next to the enemy to be useful, and therefore, be within striking range of enemies as @Yogi Dave is insinuating. For example, the Orc General has one of the strongest attacks, but he also goes almost last and has pathetic defense so he takes a lot of damage waiting for his turn and also slow poking his way to the battle scene two tiles at a time to reach someone to clobber. Your HF can be maxed out and it wouldn’t help him improve in being a melee unit, having low initiative, and uber slow movement.

Yogi Dave

They do not come into play until end of Research Chapters 8 and 12.

ONCE MORE: MMM, ELR, UUU, and, Dwarven Armorer ALL need to be Crafted or Won in the Spire. Even using TWO "Trees" gives great results.

Needles of the Tempest (NotT) is the 1st Strengthening AW; consequently, NotT gets upgraded much Faster and Higher.
All my AWs that help with fighting are at level 30 or above. Most weeks I have 10 or more 5d buildings in play. With 0-cooldown time the 5d buildings last 2 tourneys and 1 spire. I currently have in storage 47 5d buildings (DAs count as 2). Still, I dislike using melee units since you can't win a battle without some loss. Well, maybe some of the 1st few provs when yours are 4-star and their troops are 1-star or 2-star. Those battles hardly count as a battle. However, I do use them and have even used the barbarians in provs 25 and above at time.
For example, the Orc General has one of the strongest attacks, but he also goes almost last and has pathetic defense so he takes a lot of damage waiting for his turn and also slow poking his way to the battle scene two tiles at a time to reach someone to clobber.
Bingo! I take out their Orc Generals with acid spitting frogs.
Your HF can be maxed out and it wouldn’t help him improve in being a melee unit, having low initiative, and uber slow movement.
Bingo again. You will always lose troops. It seems like I build more HM in the barracks than any other troop and more dogs in the training grounds when I'd rather be building orc strats.

Yogi Dave

Martial Monastery/Sanctuary increases Troop HEALTH so they last longer.
In my opinion, this is the most important AM for fighting. What good are your troops if they die when 1st shot?

Although, not for fighting, the 2nd effect of that AW is very helpful with providing up to 40% of the required culture for your city. There is a good reason it's the only AW that can't be evolved above level 30. To me this combination makes it debatably the best AW in the game.

Nimitz69

All my AWs that help with fighting are at level 30 or above. Most weeks I have 10 or more 5d buildings in play.
Thank you for your perspective.
AGAIN: INITIAL is key here. I reached the TOP of the Spire for the 1st time. I fought most of the way. I remember winning the very last encounter, but the last few were all Negotiations.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member

AGAIN: INITIAL is key here.

In my experience light ranged is not just superior to melee units initially but keeps being so, also when I have all access to and leveled the wonders that boosts the melee troops. Especially when the fights get harder in later provinces and higher up in the spire.

Nimitz69

In my experience light ranged is not just superior to melee units initially but keeps being so, also when I have all access to and leveled the wonders that boosts the melee troops. Especially when the fights get harder in later provinces and higher up in the spire.
Thanks good to know, that is probably why NofT comes so early. Light Range inherent superiority carries the army until the later chapters when the others finally start to catch up, and the Spire conquest becomes more important.

crackie

I seldom use Mercenary or Training Camp units. At my level, only Hell Hounds and Banshees with one 5 BOOST offers any advantage; and then, they can seldom match up entirely with only one BOOST, since the other Boost remains at 2. Rangers and Bloom Mages are good, but again only on extreme match ups. Heavy Melee has the HIGHest HITPOINTS-much much higher; but of course, Range has the advantage. I use a 3-2 mix at times instead of sending all Heavy Melee. My TREANTs take more Damage than the Human PALADINs who have an Attack Range of 2. Master-minding the Negotiations really comes in handy when all else Fails.
I am having a hard time following what BOOST describes from the context. However, I agree that Drone Riders are pretty useless Merc Camp units, not just at your level, but even when they get all their promotions. They are cannon fodder. Blossoms though, even at 1*, are pretty fantastic. There are a few units that are pretty effective even at 1*, with Orc Strategist being another.

Gkyr

Chef
I am having a hard time following what BOOST describes from the context. However, I agree that Drone Riders are pretty useless Merc Camp units, not just at your level, but even when they get all their promotions. They are cannon fodder. Blossoms though, even at 1*, are pretty fantastic. There are a few units that are pretty effective even at 1*, with Orc Strategist being another.
1. Yeah, what is the OP intending to say with BOOST?
2. Crackie, I agree with everything you said - no issue. There is, however, one niche use for Drone Riders: in the high province fights such as we just had in planks, there is a hard-to-beat combo of 2 or 3 Mist Walkers, 1 or 2 Mages (not Thornrose), and 1 or two HR. (3MW, 1 Priest, 1 Steinling is a classic case). At high enough battle odds, the usually effective Orc Strats do not survive and the relatively untouched Mage(s) is(are) the reason why. These battles are lost using auto-fighting and manual fighting by a slim margin. At these levels the solution has to be a manual fight. The range of the Drone is only 1 less than the OS but the health is 25% higher, allowing 3 of them to match 3 MW. I usually send in 1 dog squad to cut the Priest squad in half. Then I retire the dog part-way while the Drones mop up the MW and Mage on the second round. The HR usually takes out 1 Drone squad before being whittled down to the point where one dog bite will finish them. When faced with this lineup at high odds this is the only strategy that wins after trying several other combos.