• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

----Flash----

BrinDarby

I just logg'd in to get a popip on flash ending...... and I only play using flash...

HTML5 crashes my7 device or is so laggy any semblance of normal play is IMPOSSIBLE ....

as I do not use googleplay or appleplay, and the app doesnt have manial fighting, what is going
to be done ????? my Tablet is less than 1 yr old, there should be NO speed problems but it
WILL NOT play elvenar using HTML5.....

Are you just gonna throw away another huge chunk of players ????
What is staff going to do to recitfy this situation ??????????

BrinD

PS - Inno-Games should have a direct download of thier app, rather than forcing players to
use google or apple .... I don't do buisness with those 2 companies, but I am trying to do buisness
with Inno-Games.......

Pheryll

Set Designer
as I do not use googleplay or appleplay, and the app doesnt have manial fighting, what is going
to be done ????? my Tablet is less than 1 yr old, there should be NO speed problems but it
The discontinuation of Flash is not limited to Elvenar. The entire internet (technically Adobe + the major Browsers) decided that this would no longer be supported. Elvenar created the HTML5 codebase for its game years ago to allow its playerbase plenty of time to playtest and grow accustomed to a codebase which would have a much greater longevity.

What are you expecting the company to do? Expectations of the Flash codebase to be continued past the dropping of Flash, would require the Elvenar team to distribute a downloadable application necessary for the playing of Elvenar in its Flash codebase. Not too many companies have done this, and have instead focused their time on changing the codebase to one browsers will support.

Fayeanne

HTML5 crashes my7 device or is so laggy any semblance of normal play is IMPOSSIBLE ....
If you are using Chrome, try using Firefox. On one of my systems Chrome became unusably laggy playing Elvenar with one of the recent updates, but Firefox runs acceptably. (This is referring to the HTML5 version.) Give it a try, anyway.

Last edited:

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
I just logg'd in to get a popip on flash ending...... and I only play using flash...

Are you just gonna throw away another huge chunk of players ????
What is staff going to do to recitfy this situation ??????????

BrinD

PS - Inno-Games should have a direct download of thier app, rather than forcing players to
use google or apple .... I don't do buisness with those 2 companies, but I am trying to do buisness
with Inno-Games.......

first of all when have you last tried HTML? or are you just trolling?
All 7 devices? I can't and won't believe that, thats unbelievable.

If you have serious issues, then make a bug report using the complete template and preferred inform also about your system.
This is how the devs can solve any issues.

As long as people just switch back to flash the second the encounter an issue and not send in (proper) reports there is no way to solve anything.
I havent had issues in months now, even the line copy issues is now finally solved.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
My read is he's using Win7
So to sum up then
Chooses to remain in win7 despite win10 upgrades being free and the new standard
Chooses not to use google nor apple despite those being the standard
Chooses not to use HTML despite that being the new standard
Chooses to remain in chapter 3/4 for 6 months and complain about event buildings not being better despite better buildings waiting in the next chapter.

I almost sense a pattern.

1818.png

I wouldn't want to seem like I'm telling anyone what to do, but I will point out that if someone doesn't like the consequences of their choices, the option to make different choices does exist...

Alistaire

Flash ends at the end of the year. I noticed Html has ridiculous loading times as compared to flash.
Yeah, HTML5 is a strict downgrade; don't listen to Inno's flashy messages making it sound like an improvement. Just something we're gonna have to live with.
If you are using Chrome, try using Firefox. On one of my systems Chrome became unusably laggy with one of the recent updates but Firefox runs acceptably. (This is referring to the HTML5 version.) Give it a try, anyway.

Chrome used to be the least memory intensive but Firefox became better a while ago.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
How to fix lag/crash problems in any system (This even works in Apple but the steps are a lot harder and more complicated)

1) Turn everything off but what you essentially need. To do this in a Windows system hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and pick the task manager. Go to the Startup tab and look through the list. Turn off all the junk -- background printer programs, notifications, updaters, etc. Leave only the antivirus stuff....and if you are using McAfee or Norton switch to something ligher like Avast (free) or AVG (free). Close Task Manager

2) Go to a command prompt (type CMD in the search box at the bottom to get a cmd prompt though in some cases it won't let you do anything since it has to be in admin mode). Once you have the command prompt (in admin mode) type "msconfig" and when that box pops up go to the SERVICES tab. At the bottom on the left there's a box that says Hide all Microsoft services. Check it. In what remains uncheck anything you don't need...again updaters (except anti virus), printer, adobe, etc...etc....etc.... until all that's left is absolutely essential....BUT if you are in doubt leave it as is. Better safe than sorry here.

3) close the MSCONFIG. It will ask you to "restart." Select no. once you get it closed close everything else THEN restart.

Once you restart things have a good to excellent chance of improving. But you aren't quite done.

Go to your browser and turn off all the junk there too...the add-ons, the extensions and all that you don't really need or rarely use. Then restart your browswer. IN about 90% of the cases these things will work in Windows from 3.1 on (okay if you have Windows 3.1, XP or Vista, maybe not so much).

AJ

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Yeah, HTML5 is a strict downgrade; don't listen to Inno's flashy messages making it sound like an improvement. Just something we're gonna have to live with.

Except that for a lot of people it is the other way around. After I switched to html5, the game ran much better. Note that I have my graphics settings at medium, not high, so that may help.

Alistaire

Except that for a lot of people it is the other way around. After I switched to html5, the game ran much better. Note that I have my graphics settings at medium, not high, so that may help.
Well, the only way for this to be true is not having the processing power to run flash optimally. That's certainly possible considering this doesn't necessary always attract the gamer crowd.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
HTML5 is a lot slower than flash in several places in the game, it's also leaks memory more than flash.
But it all makes sense.

Remember that flash was used since the 90's to make games, libraries (code bases that can be used to connect to your own code) where developed over a long time and flushed out. When you make/made a game you do not build everything yourself, instead you look which libraries you can use/buy/licence to save development cost and money. and these where plenty aviable.

This is also the reason flash in online games "survived" till the end. HTML5 is almost old by now, but 2 decades of development had to be redone to make it work under HTML5
2 decades of optimisation needs to be flushed out again. this is why HTML5 was so slowly adopted by the game industrie. they are commercial entities and those never like to spend more money than they need to accomplisch something.

This game to was developed in flash while it was already known it would not last, and only the past 2 years was is converted to HTML5, not because they wanted to but because they needed to. the final end date was set and approaching quickly, the fact that browsers standardly started to "block" flash only intensified the change as it was hurting there ability to attrackt new customers (last thing you want as a not tech savy customer is click a link and get a giant warning, then you think, nevermind and leave)

Now the need is there optimisation will continue and improve as not they no longer have another option.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
the 7 was a freqak'n typo ....

I learned Coding in the late 70's/early 80's....... back when every byte xtra
of code mattered, something nowadays coders care nothing about, and seem
to write very un-elegant, bloated .... code...!!!

I too learned coding from the old days. The thing is, the structured coding of those days gave way to object oriented coding and that changed the way coding is done. I remember working on the Diffuse X-Ray Spectrometer (a space bound experiment). The code for that was about 200 lines and part of my job was to reduce that as much as possible and make it more reliable. Page after page of printouts on green bar with all kinds of note lines and so on. Eventually, though it was written in C, we wrote most of it in Assembler. Due to the Challenger accident we didn't send it up until 1992 or so. In any case, it ran on a 8086 CPU and had, if I remember correctly, 256KP of storage space. Think about that in terms of optimization!

But OOP is cheaper and as hardware prices have come down and processor speeds have come up there is no need to optimize anything. The first version of Lotus 1-2-3 ran on a PC with 256,768 bytes. A spreadsheet that worked very well running in the little space because it had to do so. Now the answer is: "if it takes too much space, buy more space." AND, in addition, "if it's too slow buy a bigger, faster CPU (technically it's an MPU, but everybody knows it the wrong way so I use the wrong way.)

When I was teaching IT I in the late 1990's I used to have a lecture titled "It's the marketing, stupid." Everything done in the tech field is about profit and even the better technology is dumped when companies can make more money, or consumers can have something for less. If we were willing to pay for the best tech there would have been no Microsoft Windows by about 1990. We'd all have had Macs. Now, it's different but then that's what would have happened.

So OOP is cheaper and thus they make more money. Supporting FLASH and upgrading it's core was not an option for Adobe for two reasons. First, HTML5 was on the drawing board and from the RFC's (Requests for Comment sent out when the industry suggests a new technology) it was evident the industry wanted to replace it anyway. So HTML5 got something like FLASH incorporated and Adobe got to dump a product that was vital to the gaming world but not profitable to them. Developers have been given years (usually 2-3 minimum) to port their FLASH products to HTML5 but of course many wait until the last moment to do so and end up with very buggy programs as they have the steep learning curve of HTML5 and not enough time to really be great at it. HTML5 is sometimes buggy at the app end, not the core -- and sometimes at the core.

So, while I concur that programmers today don't understand what's going on in the hardware and thus have no interest in optimization, for a company to take such an interest only means they won't be round in 5 years as their competitors will be much, much more profitable. It really is the marketing.

AJ

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Its why I lost my 5 yr old poker site, now this too ????
Yes. Flash has been discontinued. It has been replaced by HTML5. Win7 was discontinued. It was replaced by Win10. The horse carriage industry did not make a comeback after the automobile industry became the new standard either. Neither will Flash. Neither will Win7.
And just so you know, I'm 64 years old. It still never fails to amaze me that people a decade or more younger than me are so resistant to new technology...

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
He said "the 7 was a freqak'n typo ...."
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that was in response to someone saying he claimed the issues were on 7 different devices. I see elsewhere he said he's playing on a tablet using a browser simulator (he said 'like Puffin' but not sure which one he's actually using) that has some glitches as well :rolleyes: .

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Finally some moderation! It seems the death threat post was deleted.

It's so sad the OP is so very, what's the word I am seeking, ...

Because there is a valid point under all the anger and frustration. Inno should be communicating directly with the players who are still running Flash, not just making pronouncements on the Forum.
My favorite game was an old Sega-Genesis one, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3. But I recognize that life is full of change, we make the best of it, with the people who are in our lives right now.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Finally some moderation! It seems the death threat post was deleted.

It's so sad the OP is so very, what's the word I am seeking, ...

Because there is a valid point under all the anger and frustration. Inno should be communicating directly with the players who are still running Flash, not just making pronouncements on the Forum.
My favorite game was an old Sega-Genesis one, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3. But I recognize that life is full of change, we make the best of it, with the people who are in our lives right now.

They do, they released HTML5,
They put new players by default on HTML5
If you are running Flash on login you get a popup that encourages you to switch to HTML5, and to keep running flash you need to add several clicks.
1606305867062.png

Browsers themselves also warn that flash is dead.

What more should they do?

Last edited: