• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Foggy Night in Western Canada

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
1672978642813.png

Higher res: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QJ78uCiDUkttxJ4G6

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
My favorite way to look at the snow in Canada: on my phone while sitting on a beach 1/2 a world away:cool:

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
That’s so pretty . I’m happy it’s in your yard and not mine … yet

Deleted User - 849411552

Very elegant! Thank you for posting this beautiful photo.

We've had an unusual amount of snow on the BC westcoast this year. We plan to move to the BC interior next year, so I guess this unusual weather is helping us adapt to our new life.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Gorgeous pic; I wish you'd send snow our way. We've barely had any this year, and for Central Maine, that's very unusual.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Hmmmm.... "Foggy Night in Western Canada" features no fog. How's that? Is it a difference in how Canadians speak English and how Americans speak it? Does "fog" mean "clear but icy cold?" in Canadian English? I'm just wondering. LOL

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Hmmmm.... "Foggy Night in Western Canada" features no fog. How's that? Is it a difference in how Canadians speak English and how Americans speak it? Does "fog" mean "clear but icy cold?" in Canadian English? I'm just wondering. LOL

AJ
There is fog, but it's a bit thin by that point. And at temps around -10F, it doesn't sit in the air too long, it plates out the second it touches anything, which is why everything in the picture is covered in Rime frost.

If you compare the traffic lights at the end of the street on:
no fog night --------------------------------- vs --------- fog night,

1673062319253.png
1673062438627.png

you can see the scattered light of the city in the fog:

ajqtrz

Okay then. Learn something every day. Thanks @Ashrem And what's "Rime frost?" Never heard that term before since I'm in Milwaukee and we have only one word for frost..."frost." ;>)

AJ

quin629

If you live in an area with frequent fog you're more likely to be familiar with it. 'Rime' or 'rime frost' is frost that forms when fog freezes on things. Hoar frost is frost that forms when water vapor in air that looks clear directly condenses & freezes onto objects. The crystal formations in the 2 are different.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Okay then. Learn something every day. Thanks @Ashrem And what's "Rime frost?" Never heard that term before since I'm in Milwaukee and we have only one word for frost..."frost." ;>)

AJ
As @quin629 said, Rime frost builds from moisture, usually fog, while hoar frost goes straight from gas to ice. In general, people tend to refer to both rime and hoar frost as hoar frost because they aren't aware of the difference and it's not easy to see by eye if you don't know there's a difference. Rime frost is heavier and can be more dangerous on roads. I would say that up close Rime Frost looks a little bit "fluffier" than hoar frost, which looks lighter and "sharper" to me.

ajqtrz

@quin629 and @Ashrem Thanks for the explanation. Now I feel a lot closer to being a meteorologist. Now all I have to do is figure out how to convert celsius to the right scale, fahrenheit. ;>)

AJ

Katwick

Cartographer
@quin629 and @Ashrem Thanks for the explanation. Now I feel a lot closer to being a meteorologist. Now all I have to do is figure out how to convert celsius to the right scale, fahrenheit. ;>)

AJ
In 1724 Daniel Gabrial Fahrenheit defined a temperature scale with:
  1. The freezing point of a saturated water/salt solution as 0 degrees
  2. Body temperature as 100 degrees
He didn't even get that right. I hope he got an F for that lab assignment.

Equally to the point :)
  • Ice Cubes are hard and clear because they are frozen slowly, which promotes a regular crystalline structure
  • Popcicles are Flash Frozen, using liquid nitrogen, and the process is so fast that you can actually see the consequent splinter crystals

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
@quin629 @Ashrem thanks for the explanations! I didn't know any of those terms and had never heard them before. I'm still learning new things everyday and only knew and heard of just regular "frost" until today!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Again brought up short by being unable to like stuff.

As @Katwick hinted, Fahrenheit got where he did because he he provided something sufficiently accurate and generally useful in the area he worked, early enough on, for it to catch on. In much the same way that most rail gauges around the world continue to be used despite not necessarily being an ideal measure, because they matched what roads were doing before that, probably all the way back to the distance between wheels of Roman chariots, which probably come from a comfortable distance between the rumps of two horses.

Celsius, like other components of International measurement system, are based on easily repeatable conditions so they can always be confirmed by anyone who needs to ensure their experiments are accurate. 0C is the temperature at which pure water freezes at one atmosphere, and 100C is the temperature at which pure water boils at one atmosphere. Anyone intersted in testing can distill water with very basic methods and if they need sufficient accuracy, can go to sea level to do their tests.

Fahrenheit requires a saturated salt solution to set "0" and (since he got body temperature wrong) there is no way to confirm 100F except by comparing to an existing thermometer. The number depend on someone else to provide you with an accurate tool to measure. As soon as one thermometer is wrong, there's no way to find out. if you think you are comparing it to one which is right, and they don't agree, then which is right and which is wrong?