• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forum / Game - Abbreviations, Slang, Confusing Terms Guide And FAQ

DeletedUser23150

Can you define "tech eras" and "chapters"? I'm pretty sure I haven't left the first of whatever they are, but is there a defining moment in gameplay where it ends? Or a way to look at how much is left?

Pretty please?

Crowella

If you look at the bottom of your tech tree, you will see a bunch of icons starting with I through V and then switching to pretty pictures. If you look at the tech tree, you will see that these icons refer to specific "chapters" and are separated by a research (for Advanced Scouts, which lowers the cost of fighting or negotiating future provinces). A big hint -- try to scout the minimum number of provinces in a chapter before you unlock the Advanced Scouts research, because if you've already scouted a province, that cost will remain the same. Or at least that's one strategy.

Anyway, the first five chapters don't have names, they are simply referred to as chapters 1 through 5 (I through V). After that your city will start hosting guest races, and each chapter will have the name of that guest race, starting with Dwarves.

In later chapters you will have specific goods and buildings that are related to that chapter and which will be pretty much useless (and demolished) after that chapter is complete.

Edit: Fix to chapter references

Last edited:

DeletedUser2768

Can you define "tech eras" and "chapters"? I'm pretty sure I haven't left the first of whatever they are, but is there a defining moment in gameplay where it ends? Or a way to look at how much is left?

Pretty please?

Click on the little book at the bottom of your play screen. That is your tech tree where you research things by dumping KP (Knowledge Points) into them until they're full. Tech era and Chapter are the same thing. At the very bottom there are some Roman numerals and some funny looking symbols (guest races). You can track where you are there as well as see what will be coming up.

DeletedUser23150

If you look at the bottom of your tech tree, you will see a bunch of icons starting with I through V and then switching to pretty pictures. If you look at the tech tree, you will see that these icons refer to specific "chapters" and are separated by a research (for Advanced Scouts, which lowers the cost of fighting or negotiating future provinces). A big hint -- try to scout the minimum number of provinces in a chapter before you unlock the Advanced Scouts research, because if you've already scouted a province, that cost will remain the same. Or at least that's one strategy.

Anyway, the first five chapters don't have names, they are simply referred to as chapters 1 through 5 (I through V). After that your city will start hosting guest races, and each chapter will have the name of that guest race, starting with Dwarves.

In later chapters you will have specific goods and buildings that are related to that chapter and which will be pretty much useless (and demolished) after that chapter is complete.

Edit: Fix to chapter references

Click on the little book at the bottom of your play screen. That is your tech tree where you research things by dumping KP (Knowledge Points) into them until they're full. Tech era and Chapter are the same thing. At the very bottom there are some Roman numerals and some funny looking symbols (guest races). You can track where you are there as well as see what will be coming up.

Thank you! I get it now.

DeletedUser5521

"AI"
This one had me stymied for soooo long when I was a noob. I don't see it so much anymore, but back when they were changing the tourneys and the province fights, people were posting about how "if they (the Devs) make it easier for us (the Players), it stands to reason it will get easier for AI too", and variations of that theme there. And I read that as "Capital A + lower case L", cause that's what this darned font looks like to me! :oops: I searched everywhere I could to think of to find out who the heck AL was, and why I never met him in my battles..! Doh! :rolleyes: I finally asked, and it was our dear Soggy who replied "AI = Artificial Intelligence" and I about died of embarrassment!! LMBO :p Anywho..just thought you may (or may not!) want to put "AL" on the list! :D

DeletedUser5521

Is there any post about sentient goods and the manufactory reverences? I never quite understand the "plus-one" reference? [i.e. T1+1]
The +1 basically just means that you look at your Standard Goods Boost and move to the right for your Sentient Good (in my case, in T1 I'm Marble Boosted, move to the right to Steel ("+1"), so my Sentient Good will be Platinum, made in fully upgraded Steel Manufactories. If your Standard Goods Boost is the last one in the group (Planks, Silk, or Gems), the +1 moves it to the front of the line (for exampe, see my Gems to Elixir line in the pic). Hope that helps.. :oops::rolleyes::)
Standard and Sentient Goods.jpg

Tajj

This was so helpful, Thanks for posting so much information for newbies like me. The trades don't seem scary anymore but I'm still afraid to join a FS because I have nothing to offer yet except a visit each day. I am still looking for information on FS's and what all they do and require from newbies. I'd be heartbroken if I got booted for not complying with basic tasks that might be unknown to me. Any details listed in the forum about the FS's? Thanks for any info.

Gath Of Baal

This was so helpful, Thanks for posting so much information for newbies like me. The trades don't seem scary anymore but I'm still afraid to join a FS because I have nothing to offer yet except a visit each day. I am still looking for information on FS's and what all they do and require from newbies. I'd be heartbroken if I got booted for not complying with basic tasks that might be unknown to me. Any details listed in the forum about the FS's? Thanks for any info.

Most average fellowship would be happy to have an active player who does visits and sometimes that is enough to make you a valuable member of that fellowship...

The benefits of joining a fellowship

1) Up to 24 other players to trade with other then your neighbors (unless you fellowship consist of mostly neighbors)
2) No trader fee when trading with your fellowship members (No matter how far away they are on your map)
3) Fellowship chat where you can ask questions and get help or just chat
4) Tournaments
5) Fellowship Adventures
6) Increased goods and gold from visiting and other members visiting you back
7) Ancient Wonder donation programs
8) I am pretty sure I might have forgotten a few more benefits :p

Most average fellowships do not have many rules other then a set amount of visits a week and fair trades or better.. More competitive fellowships will have more rules.. Some fellowships might not have any rules at all.. Just need to look around and read some fellowship overview pages to find one that is best suited to how you want to play..

Welcome to Elvenar and I hope you enjoy your journey

EDIT: Oh, if you happen to get booted from a fellowship for something, it might sting a little at first but no worries, there are a plethora of other fellowships that would be happy to have you

Last edited:

Deleted User - 312108

Tajj, please do not be afraid to join a fellowship and when you do, do not be afraid to leave and find another one if it is not what you are looking for. You will grow faster than you think :)
The main things I look when I join a fellowship is 1) are they well-managed (this actually means do they remove inactive players on a regular basis and preferably are fairly balanced within boosted goods) I do use elvenstats to check and see how many inactives are listed. There is no point in joining a FS that has 23 members of which 15 are inactive. 2) what rules do they have - as Gath said visits and fair trades are standard and should not be particularly onerous. 3) Tourney rules - this one may have more impact for you, are the tourney rules flexible enough for a smaller player to achieve?

Think about what you want to get out of the game and what time commitments you intend then find an active fellowship that suits your needs.