• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forum Profile

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
And here is a quote for you (only because it is the only reference to philology I could recall off the top of my head): "If the dry bones of Philology could be made to live by Miss Layton, then she was a very dark horse indeed." - Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night.
Who Of course Tolkien geek @Sprite1313 has philology references off the top of her head...
My philology contribution is my sis-in-law's mom (or is it mum) works at a Rare Book Library at a university. One day I tagged along for a Bring Crackie to Work Day. I was totally expecting them to make me put on white gloves and stuff, like in the movies, but nope! They let my greasy hands touch a book from the 14th century! I'd imagine philologists are attracted to Rare Book Libraries like moths to light.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Challenge accepted! Except I'll have to keep looking it up because I'll never remember it...
Haha! I can't wait to hear how you manage to fit it in somewhere. :D (I fully expect a story that includes having to run off to find a dictionary in the middle of a conversation...)
B_gr5_aw1_shards.png

Who Of course Tolkien geek @Sprite1313 has philology references off the top of her head...
My philology contribution is my sis-in-law's mom (or is it mum) works at a Rare Book Library at a university. One day I tagged along for a Bring Crackie to Work Day. I was totally expecting them to make me put on white gloves and stuff, like in the movies, but nope! They let my greasy hands touch a book from the 14th century! I'd imagine philologists are attracted to Rare Book Libraries like moths to light.
What a delightful experience (at least my idea of one, haha)! And ooooooh, yes. I specifically avoid looking up where to find rare books nearby because I don't have that kind of money or space. :p Fully 3 shelves of my small 6-shelf bookcase are taken up with language books and dictionaries (many of them old), while another shelf is full of ancient histories, Herodotus, Thucydides, and so on. I just ordered a reprint of the first volume of Jacob Grimm's Deutsche Grammatik (the seminal work on philology, never been translated into English); I'm planning on working my way through it studying philology and practicing my German by translating it at the same time. XD
And here is a quote for you (only because it is the only reference to philology I could recall off the top of my head): "If the dry bones of Philology could be made to live by Miss Layton, then she was a very dark horse indeed." - Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night.
I'm impressed you have one at all! I've never heard that before. I see Sayers quoted online fairly frequently but have never read anything of hers.

Last edited:

crackie

And ooooooh, yes. I specifically avoid looking up where to find rare books nearby because I don't have that kind of money or space.
I know someone who curiously always carried this little Bible around with him and would randomly open it to glance at it from time to time. It was peculiar since he didn’t seem like the religious type. One day, we were at the park talking and he said, “Hold on, let me look it up.” I don’t remember what we were talking about, but the topic in no way, shape, or form related to anything biblical so I got really confused why he would be looking the answer up in his Bible. That was when I learned his “Bible” was actually an elaborate phone cover! I also learned he apparently is a Master Bookbinder and he custom made it himself. As a digital gal allergic to hard copy and reading, I had to ask what a Master Bookbinder was because I was confused how there could be a market for this to do it for a living in this century. He explained he restores books for a living and a mutual acquaintance of ours is one of his clients because he is a collector of first edition old books. He let me check out his “Bible” and the craftsmanship was exquisite! Perfectly sized to his phone in a leather cover with gold leaf lettering and all. According to him, “It’s New York. Nobody is going to pick it up if I accidentally leave it somewhere.” It was ingenious level shenanigans and a work of art! :D Heck, I was fooled! I did get a Bring Crackie to Work invitation but his workshop is out in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn and I don’t get along so I never took him up on it. So maybe you need to make friends with a Master Bookbinder too since they also have their hands on a lot of old and rare books and knows people with rare book collections that need their service! :kp::supply:

Fiona Selah

Lol! If only it were a good word to work into conversations...I have a hard time finding places to use it. ;) Funnily enough, I had wondered about that section too but hadn't actually bothered to fill it out on my own profile before either.

Philology? Philologist? Here I thought that it was someone who studies the deep and meaningful teachings of Dr. Phil...

crackie

it's children of the corn on the cob.....
:eek: NooOooooooOoo! And here I thought things are finally turning around as someone was actually nice to Buddy for once by offering her BBQ. I don't have any candy for you guys to steal, but you're prob going to take the little girl's lunch money next. :(

Myne

Oh Wise One
:eek: NooOooooooOoo! And here I thought things are finally turning around as someone was actually nice to Buddy for once by offering her BBQ. I don't have any candy for you guys to steal, but you're prob going to take the little girl's lunch money next. :(
B_woodelves_aw2_shards.png

She will be fine as long as no one forces her to stick her tongue to the flagpole. Besides, she is supposed to be a bada** right?

BrinDarby

analizing forum profile pic......
username Crackie : . . . . . . . . . . . . ( still analyzing ) . . . . . . .

Background : bright sunset, or nuclear mushroom cloud
Forground : buddies
Mid ground : 2 figures
1- appears to be YuGiOh holding a spear, in egyption clothes
2- post apocaliptic little girl, with scragly hair & ragady clothes.

crackie

2- post apocaliptic little girl, with scragly hair & ragady clothes.
Hahahaha. Dang! Are male balding patterns making you project such harsh judgment on a poor girl's hair? It's humid out! Frizz happens. That's why we gonna get ourselves some nice cold sweet tea and some BBQ! Also, Dolly Parton had a raggedy coat that she wore all the way to the bank!