• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forummods are making weird decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser2870

Hello forummods. Perhaps someone should explain to you some basics about being a mod:

A mod is NOT supposed to actively join the discussion, unless it is as a warning to bring people back to the topic of the original post if they wander too far off topic. But a mod should be careful in closing down such a topic. Much better to remove the off-topic posts and leave a reminder of why it was removed.

A mod is not supposed to close down topics where the discussion is heated. You're supposed to warn people to behave.

When a topic is doubled it's a good thing to merge them, but it is ridiculous to close down the one with the most responses. If you close one down, you close the one with the least response. That way the most active one will continue on. If you direct people to the one with less response people will get frustrated about the fact that their responses are suddenly useless.

A mod is not supposed to close down a topic simply because he or she either disagrees or is getting flak. As a mod that is extremely unprofessional behaviour. If you want to do it that way, I suggest you find a job in the censoring business. Try North Korea or China. (although I must admit censoring stuff is growing more common all over the west now too)

I know this may be hard, and I'm sure that inno wants to close down the discussion on the screw-up...sorry, I mean the update where they -censored- ed ;) up (just to make sure you do not have to change the text by putting in the word I really mean) the battlesystem in such a way that players are getting frustrated all over the place.
However, coming down hard on those discussions really is not going to help. Basic psychology and basic knowlegde of history shows that if you frustrate people the first thing they will do is try to talk about it to get it out of their system. If you deny them that they will take harsher methods. In this case it will mean leaving the forum, stop responding, since it is no use and finally leaving the game. Every player can see that there are already players leaving, so you're heading down the road of running the game into the ground.

DeletedUser188

If you know so much about being a mod don't just sit here and criticize the mods
Do something about it
Volunteer to become a mod and show them how a mod should act
Your whole post comes across as if someone took your toy away and you are upset in the way it happened
So you want to let the whole community how wrong they are
When all they did was their job
FYI on most of the forums I have joined covering up the profanity is the same as printing it out (it is against forum rules)
So is bashing the Mods

DeletedUser2870

Do something about it
Volunteer to become a mod and show them how a mod should act

*sighs*...if I had the time I'd gladly be a mod. However, there's only 24 hours in a day and these are already pretty much filled.

Your whole post comes across as if someone took your toy away and you are upset in the way it happened
So you want to let the whole community how wrong they are
When all they did was their job
If they had been doing their job, I'd not been posting about it. Closing down the most active discussions is not doing their job.

FYI on most of the forums I have joined covering up the profanity is the same as printing it out (it is against forum rules)
So is bashing the Mods
I can live with covering up the profanity, no problem there. I put it like this on purpose because there have been several times when even reaonable texts and wordings are getting removed.
As for bashing them, a mod should not by definition be beyond reproach. That's just the way to dictatorship. But when comments/questions go unanswered, even after several requests or just get shut down, you have a problem that apparently cannot be allowed to be discussed.

DeletedUser2963

But when comments/questions go unanswered, even after several requests or just get shut down, you have a problem that apparently cannot be allowed to be discussed.

Gotta say, having over 50 threads discussing the same topic is a bit much. Players are joining the forum just to discuss this issue, they start a new account and post a new thread, over and over, without looking at existing threads. I personally think the mods should have shut those threads down and re-directed posts at once to the initial thread. I have seen threads shut down because "we cannot be allowed to discuss it". That is not what happened with this topic, this was just basic housekeeping.

DeletedUser4417

*Chuckle* First off, having BEEN a Mod of a game in the past the OP is off base.

First off a Mod is a player first and a Mod second. So you would not know when a Mod as a player, joined in a discussion unless they told you so. A Mod steps into a situation when:

There is information that needs/should be disseminated.
When a player/players are putting out false information that is inflaming the situation and/or group.
When a player(s) are violating a pre-set rule that is posted.
When a discussion has been tabled and closes and new threads opened up on the same.
When there are duplicate threads on the same topic.
When threads and/or players get out of hand.
When the Mod feels they should or need to clarify something.

In most situations there is a group of Mods that monitor. They answer to someone else and they in turn answer to someone else. There is a clear cut and defined way they do things and they are monitored and reviewed themselves by their supervisors.

DeletedUser551

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, it's not up to you to monitor how moderators handle a specific situation, not will it ever be. Any complaints you have with the moderator team, you should take to support, by submitting a ticket. A moderator will participate in any discussions they want, whenever they want to, same as you.

Seeing as this thread serves no purpose, I will be locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.