• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

FS only trade buckets

kctanzen

Juggling around with an idea for a while ...

The concept of a smallish FS only trader function.

-- Only usable by members of FS, similar to a bank type function
-- Follows same ratio rules as primary trader
-- Limited in size to say, 15 trades per person at a time, keyed one to one with primary trader
== Primary trade would generate a database flag, allowing a FS trade, player deletion deletes same flag as it would from being accepted
== Trades associated with deleted flags immediately expire
== This prevents *only* trading in fellowship
-- Trades expire in 3 days, not 7 == allows for travelers to participate without clogging things up too much
-- If you leave a FS with active trades, those trades auto expire as well
-- Concept is to help boost along new cities, particularly to help prep for events and tournaments (I have found tourneys to be such a helpful resource for spells / runes / KP / boost relics / etc)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This has been a popular request, and there are good arguments on both sides of the issue. If you search for terms like trader and filter you should find a number of existing threads.

There is substantial concern that almost all trades would be limited to members only, and the trading would end up far worse than it is now, especially for those not in active fellowships, which might have a negative impact on participation.

The best bet is to work from the reverse. Ask your FS members to offer bad trades, then no-one else will pick them up.

kctanzen

Thanks Ashrem -- I am still struggling to find things on here with the search tools.
I will keep putzing around!!

DeletedUser14863

This has been a popular request, and there are good arguments on both sides of the issue. If you search for terms like trader and filter you should find a number of existing threads.

There is substantial concern that almost all trades would be limited to members only, and the trading would end up far worse than it is now, especially for those not in active fellowships, which might have a negative impact on participation.

The best bet is to work from the reverse. Ask your FS members to offer bad trades, then no-one else will pick them up.
May I offer an alternate suggestion? What if instead of "members only", you put a countdown timer on the trade? Where during the countdown the trade can only be seen/taken by members of the FS. After time has run out, it's open to anybody. Make it a choice of where you can set the timer to the following: 1 hr. 2 hr 3hr and "no timer". My reason for this is that I have neighbor who is taking all my Marble trades that my FS needs before they even get a chance at it. This way, the FS gets first shot at the trades for however long you made it. Afterwards, the trade is fair game.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
May I offer an alternate suggestion? What if instead of "members only", you put a countdown timer on the trade? Where during the countdown the trade can only be seen/taken by members of the FS. After time has run out, it's open to anybody. Make it a choice of where you can set the timer to the following: 1 hr. 2 hr 3hr and "no timer". My reason for this is that I have neighbor who is taking all my Marble trades that my FS needs before they even get a chance at it. This way, the FS gets first shot at the trades for however long you made it. Afterwards, the trade is fair game.
Good trades rarely last more than a few hours for the majority of the map. There are already large advantages to playing in a fellowship, and I don't think the game can afford to lose solo players. Anything that reduces their ability to get what they need is going to be negative pressure on them.

At the peak, a well run FS already has the equivalent of about 125-250 neighbors for trading purposes vs 5-10 for a solo player, and that's assuming that none of it's members has a similar fellowship in range, at which point that nearly doubles. Although solo players can make a FS of one and participate in tournaments and adventures, it approaches impossible for them to get more than one or two chests, or to finish a course of the adventure map.

DeletedUser14863

From a programming aspect it's doable. Change the time limit then to 10, 20, 30 mins or shorter if you wish and the "no timer" option. The reason the Fellowships benefit from inner trades is because the AM's go out and "recruit" the Boosted goods players. We need those recruited goods to have a balance. Having access to those goods denied because another FS big City Player is sitting on the opportunity to take them (poaching for lack of better word), hurts my FS. Offering bad trades to discourage this practice, is like price gouging your family. It isn't right. It's a concession, not a solution. By the time I can post let's say 20 trades and get to my chat room (when "chat" is working) to say "Trades up", said trades could/would be gone before my FS gets the chance to even to react. A 10 minute security window can't be THAT devistating to the solo player. I have 2 solo cities so I know. Most of my trades I do as a solo I do before logging off over night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
From a programming aspect it's doable. Change the time limit then to 10, 20, 30 mins or shorter if you wish and the "no timer" option. The reason the Fellowships benefit from inner trades is because the AM's go out and "recruit" the Boosted goods players. We need those recruited goods to have a balance. Having access to those goods denied because another FS big City Player is sitting on the opportunity to take them (poaching for lack of better word), hurts my FS. Offering bad trades to discourage this practice, is like price gouging your family. It isn't right. It's a concession, not a solution.
There is no difference between offering 2:1 goods to your friends and asking them to offer 1:2 for you to fill. There is nothing "gouging" about it. That argument is using inflammatory language to predispose the reader to think badly of the other debater's position, and is a cheap tactic.

There are far more players not in fellowships than there are in fellowships, and anything that increases the advantage for fellowship players stimulates a potential loss of those players. It doesn't matter if its 2 weeks or 10 minutes.

The presumption that a larger player sits around constantly watching for good quality trades is exactly that, a presumption, which also presumes that a larger player doesn't have better things to do than sit around hoping to scoop a few extra goods off someone that probably won't equal what they spend on a single tournament province. I produce close to 100k goods per day, and am not in the last 3 chapters. When I see three star trades of less than a 100k quantity, I assume it's because the person is in a hurry to get them. Even if it got me an extra 10k goods free, that's the output of three hours in a magicked factory and it is almost never why I take them.

DeletedUser14863

Fine I concede your point. But that was not my intent. The matter is concluded.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
There aren't many of us who intend to have negative consequences for the game. if we don't put our ideas out there, the good ones suffer as much as the less-good ones. My criticism of your idea was in no way a criticism of you for sharing it.

DeletedUser14863

Really? The only reader I was "predisposing" to, was YOU sir. I never once asked for a vote of "others" to back or support my point.d
I was talking to YOU. No one else.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Really? The only reader I was "predisposing" to, was YOU sir. I never once asked for a vote of "others" to back or support my point.d
I was talking to YOU. No one else.
You were talking to "me" in an open forum in a thread that's been viewed 103 times. The whole point of discussions in an open forum is to convince the majority of the people watching the forums that your opinion is superior to the other opinions. If you actually thought you were only talking to me, why would you bother? I have no authority over the design of the game.

DeletedUser14863

Yes you. Why? Because only you and I were the only 2 in the discussion!! Did you see anybody else partake in it??? I sure didn't. And since you have no authority, I'm done talking to you.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
The trouble with ideas of this nature is Timon has already said on a Q&A they are not keen on doing anything that will detracts from the trades available currently. They are trying to increase that as too many people don't post trades and then complain about the lack of trades.

I would love a fellowship only option, but sadly can't see it happening any time soon if at all.