• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Gaming disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeba

This is a huge topic and I completely agree with the World Health Organization on this one. I actually saw something on internet addiction in the range of 10-12 years ago. Addiction is not being able to stop a behaviour despite having strong reasons to do so.

I think people truly under appreciate what this is doing to youth. I am so glad I was an adult through university before the ability to have this problem existed because I think I would have had problems getting to where I am with the pull of computer games.

My sister's youngest son-in-law flunked out of college playing games. They paid for two years of his "education" without realizing they were flushing their money down the toilet and this young man is a very nice young man. I do not think people are aware of the degree of problem this is for education.

And as far a children go, it is no longer working long hours getting in the way of quality time, it is the draw of the internet. I've met young people that want to destroy their parents's computer for identify it as costing them the human interaction they would have liked to have had with their parents.

People use devices as babysitters, but if you look at what early childhood development physiologists are saying, they don't allow their children near the devices at all.

There's huge stuff on teenage boys and young men lacking normal social skills, the skills required to meet a partner and how to negotiate certain needs... There is definitely a reduced bonding...

This definitely a much bigger problem than people realize and what the problem is to people is very generational where I think older people have an easier time putting it into properly place and had the opportunity to develop proper social skills. You've got the first generation of people that grew up with computers probably in their 40s now and they were guided by parents with normal social skills. Any conflict over it would be down played and today's children have parents that grew up in the early computer age. Some have had highly neglectful parents because of computer addictions. I think most probably downplay the concerns of their parent's generation. I don't think people are aware of how different youth has become because of the internet and these addictions and how much conflict there is over this issue, or the degree that youth are not doing as well in school because of it.

There is huge talk about personal responsibility here, but I think you see a lot about an education system that is unresponsive without any awareness that internet addictions are a massive costly education sink hole dramatically increasing workload just trying to deal with the problem. There can be such benefit in using the internet in education, but draw from addiction makes it highly destructive.

edeba

http://www.pnas.org/content/114/17/4268.full

I laughed out loud, but it really isn't funny...

"The government’s role in creating this culture partly explains why politicians felt it necessary to step in to harshly regulate the gaming industry: in 2011, South Korea enacted a “shutdown law,” which tied game accounts to users’ national ID and forced children under 16 off the servers from midnight until 6:00 AM. Critics say it hasn’t worked—kids stole their parents’ IDs to get around it—and a 2014 study by Wookjoon Sung at Seoul National University found it had made no difference in the amount of time spent playing "

DeletedUser12423

This is a huge topic and I completely agree with the World Health Organization on this one. I actually saw something on internet addiction in the range of 10-12 years ago. Addiction is not being able to stop a behaviour despite having strong reasons to do so.
You could label it anything you want, it's still just another excuse for someone avoiding accountability and/or their responsibilities. In short. Its bullsheet.

edeba

I didn't really understand addiction until I read the 1986 and 1988 Surgeon General's reports on smoking. The key part of the definition of addiction is to continue doing something you would prefer to stop. Half of the people that get lung cancer continue to smoke and that isn't because they lack accountability or responsibility, it is addiction, the inability to stop despite having strong reasons to discontinue. And to quote tobacco industry research, "They are constantly reminded of their lack of willpower. To defend themselves they tend to put on a jaunty air. They do this to save face because they would really like to quit and not appear to be slaves."

I can guarantee long after we are gone there will be books written on the lost generation about the social apathy for meaningful life given to the rise of internet/gaming addiction. It IS a very different problem between youth and older people because of the differences in how we've grown up and that for older people it wasn't yet a problem to interfere with development. Just go ahead, see how well it works to assign accountability and responsibility when their development is thwarted and they have no concept to understand what you are saying.

http://netaddiction.com/internet-addiction-test/

http://www.olganon.org/self_tests_on_gaming_addiction

I don't know I think I am on the edge of having it.. Really..

You could label it anything you want, it's still just another excuse for someone avoiding accountability and/or their responsibilities. In short. Its bullsheet.

DeletedUser12423

I don't know I think I am on the edge of having it.. Really..
For real? Or joking?
Just go ahead, see how well it works to assign accountability and responsibility when their development is thwarted and they have no concept to understand what you are saying.
Again, bad parenting and bad choices produce bad offspring. Remove God from school and what do you get? This sad generation who consistantly blames others for their life. No, the root to these problems were never, are never, and never will be games.

The problem here is confusion. The gray area causes confusion. Once you choose to make good choices to become a good person, you emediately see good results. You guys are comparing being born with birth defects to being lazy, Which is totally outragious. Rediculous! Seriously!

Last edited:

MirandaZink

that it takes precedence of over aspects of daily life, and continuing or escalating gameplay despite negative consequences.

I think this is the real point. Insert anything into the statement above. For example, prescription drugs, illegal drugs, your cell phone, your job, gaming, plastic surgery, gambling, adopting 100 rescue dogs, hoarding newspapers till they reach the ceilings, etc.

The point is when someone loses their ability to strike a balance in their lives and yes that is a problem which I didn't need the WHO to tell me staying up 10 days straight to play Elvenar is excessive and that is probably a problem for me and my family. Thanks Captain Obvious . . . have we completely lost common sense? (rhetorical)

shimmerfly

Hmm. I was going to add a few things to this thread but I would raise a brand new "discussion" so I will keep my thoughts and experiences to my self for now....since I keep back spacing my comments I will step away from the keyboard.
Happy New Year instead.

DeletedUser5800

Again, bad parenting and bad choices produce bad offspring. Remove God from school and what do you get? This sad generation who consistantly blames others for their life. No, the root to these problems were never, are never, and never will be games
Someone adding god into their reasoning for having a blatant lack of compassion, empathy and a predisposition for being overly judgmental while refusing to acknowledge that genetics and life variables limit peoples ability to posses the tools and/or data needed to make what would be considered a reasonable choice is in itself a disorder all it's own, absolute proof that some people just can not see what others can. Refusal to acknowledge predeterminism and lack of chemical control for the preservation of ones own blindness. Being a victim of ones own reality. Speaks volumes in support of the issue while the intent was the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12423

Happy New Year to you Rob, and good luck.
Thank you, my friend. Here's to a better year, hopefully. Cheers!
Someone adding god into their reasoning for having a blatant lack of compassion
Forgive me, that was not intended to sound so cruel. I just re-read my post. I do apologize.

You see, I need to use softer words. I am a tax payer. And I do not feel my tax dollars should be sent as disability checks for things like playing games. By making it something it's clearly not, you've made it a disability. Thus, effecting where my hard earned dollars go. More so, let me add this...

Addictive Personality is a disorder. Sloth is a Sin, not a disorder. Addiction is a behavior, and finally, Playing Games is a Hobby. So unless you want tax payers to start flipping the bill for people that choose to play games rather then handle their responsibilities, This conversation is over?

Last edited:

DeletedUser12423

I look at it more like helping others ^ ^ There's alot of people that need alot of help!

DeletedUser

I look at it more like helping others ^ ^ There's alot of people that need alot of help!

Let me be clear on this, Rob. You didn't help anyone with the things you've said in this thread. You might have made yourself feel superior, but really, I don't see you as I did before you chose to belittle everyone who has posted here. The way I feel now, I doubt I'll be responding to you any more on this game forum. Not that that matters.

You're entitled to your opinion, Rob, just as every one of us is entitled to ours. But just remember that you chose to make this what it didn't need to be. Live and Let Live, you know?

Which was why I wished you a happy new year and good luck. ;)

shimmerfly

.@ Rob....You stated...

"Addictive Personality is a disorder. Sloth is a Sin, not a disorder. Addiction is a behavior, and finally, Playing Games is a Hobby. So unless you want tax payers to start flipping the bill for people that choose to play games rather then handle their responsibilities, This conversation is over?" [/QUOTE]

You stated that you "were" an alcoholic. There is a big difference between heavy drinking (which can also ruin your life) and true alcoholism. You may want to read a lot more about addiction. I don't think your information is coming from a very good source. Addiction is much more than a behavior, and having lived with alcoholism and addiction for more than 50 years, and numerous rehabs. I do have first hand experience. ( to the point of near death) It is a disease when it is to the point beyond AUD which is a term used for Alcohol Use Disorder. This is all documented if you care to look it up. Much Much Much different than a "choice" Please do not take this lightly as it can kill people who you may be trying to "help"..
The End.

Status
Not open for further replies.