• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Gravity Inn

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm a bit confused about the latest thing. It says all you have to do is like and subscribe and comment why you need one, but are they really going to manually process the 2500+ comments/likes and figure out how to give them each a building?

i8sh

They also said that it will be offered through the community managers as a reward to those who contribute to the community via a nomination (and they made reference to building a useful website - like we all do that stuff) and it will also be possibly offered during events...so I am not sure that it will be an "exclusive building" per se.

Pheryll

Set Designer
I'm sure that's what they'll come up with, even if it's not what they said.

"If you are actually watching this video you can actually win one of these. All you need to do is like the video, subscribe to our channel, and comment below why you need the gravity inn in your city."

Notice the words "can actually win"; there is ambiguity there.

Pheryll

Set Designer
I am looking at the stats of the building. While the city they place it in does host a level 29 (or 31) main hall; I am pretty sure that we are dealing with the dwarf chapter, as dwarves are walking in the streets, and the rest of the buildings are what you would find nearly fully upgraded from the chapter before dwarves. Let's compare the gravity inn with the winter star.

Winter star
Population per square: 57.78
Culture per square: 20.44

Gravity inn
Population per square: 82.5
Culture per square: 55

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I am looking at the stats of the building. While the city they place it in does host a level 29 (or 31) main hall; I am pretty sure that we are dealing with the dwarf chapter, as dwarves are walking in the streets, and the rest of the buildings are what you would find nearly fully upgraded from the chapter before dwarves. Let's compare the gravity inn with the winter star.

Winter star
Population per square: 57.78
Culture per square: 20.44

Gravity inn
Population per square: 82.5
Culture per square: 55

Thanks for saying what it does.
I didn't watch the video.
Watching videos to find out what a building does sounds like homework.
As a younger man, I spent sixteen years avoiding homework, ain't starting now as a fogey.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
"If you are actually watching this video you can actually win one of these. All you need to do is like the video, subscribe to our channel, and comment below why you need the gravity inn in your city."

Notice the words "can actually win"; there is ambiguity there.
Not actually ambiguous. They should have said "you can have a chance to win one of these." In English, "You can win" means you have a 100% chance of getting it.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Oh, I beg to differ.
"You can win" allows for the chance, or colloquially would strangely be giving you permission to win.
If it was 100% it would say, "You will win."
in colloquial English, that's acceptable (still incorrect). Companies advertising to the public should avoid colloquial language.

Can is an auxiliary verb (a helping verb or a modal verb) and is used to denote the ability (normally physical or mental) to do something, derived from the Old English cunnan, “to be able."

"You can win" is literally "You are able to win."

What they really (presumably) meant is "you can enter for a chance to win"

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
And that's not even getting to the part where this is technically a free lottery and, as such, in some of the jurisdictions where it's available, unless they have a charity licence to run lotteries, they can't give prizes that require an entry unless everyone is winning something or it is a mixed game of skill and chance.

DeletedUser3122

I love to watch their videos, no matter what the subject. They're a friendly and creative team. I'd rather watch their videos than most of the junk on TV. And it gives a person a chance to win a special building. I objected to the original message that it must be through Instagram (I won't get an account there, to me that's a haven for narcissists). But I'm glad they've widened the net. I can't blame them, word spreads when we let others know, and it's a way for them to increase publicity for the game. I'm all for helping them make more money that way. It gives us a better game, keeps the game alive with new members, and gives us new members for our FSs!

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
in colloquial English, that's acceptable (still incorrect). Companies advertising to the public should avoid colloquial language.

Can is an auxiliary verb (a helping verb or a modal verb) and is used to denote the ability (normally physical or mental) to do something, derived from the Old English cunnan, “to be able."

"You can win" is literally "You are able to win."

What they really (presumably) meant is "you can enter for a chance to win"

I can be President
I am able to be President
It is not 100% sure I will be President

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I can be President
I am able to be President
It is not 100% sure I will be President
Colloquially. technically, you are not able to be president unless you have been elected*. Before that, you are only capable of being president, not able to be president

* One of the conditions for being president (of the U.S.) is receiving the support of a majority of the electors. Until you have that, you not, in fact, able to be president.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Stop.
I am a Natural Born American Citizen over the age of thirty five. Ask any Supreme Court Justice and they will say I can be President.
I cannot believe you will continue this debate over your poor understanding of American English.
I have an excellent understanding of English. The problem is that people blur colloquial english with proper english. Able and Capable are not the same word, and do not mean the same thing. You are not able to be president at this time, because you have not satisfied all of the requirements at this time.

I am not able to win the gravity Inn, because even though I have liked and subscribed and commented, I have not been randomly selected. I am, however, capable of winning it.

Pheryll

Set Designer
I have an excellent understanding of English. The problem is that people blur colloquial english with proper english.

Quite a few dictionaries define able as competent.

Merriam Webster: 1b Having the freedom or opportunity to do something.
Collins: 1 Having the power, skill, etc. to do something
Oxford Dictionaries: 1 Having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to do something.

Your idea of proper English mirrors legal definitions. I am not sure that any attorney would view the Q&A statements with regards to the American legal meaning of these words (note that able was not even used in that specific statement). This is not a colloquial versus proper English debate.

Shall we do the same with "can"?
Merriam Webster: 1c Used to indicate possibility
Collins: 3 Am, are, or is likely or at all likely to
Oxford Dictionaries: 1.2 Having the opportunity or possibility to

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Quite a few dictionaries define able as competent.

Merriam Webster: 1b Having the freedom or opportunity to do something.
Collins: 1 having the power, skill, etc. to do something
Oxford Dictionaries: 1 Having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to do something.

Your idea of proper English mirrors legal definitions. I am not sure that any attorney would view the Q&A statements with regards to the American legal meaning of these words. This is not a colloquial versus proper English debate.
Even the example of Merriam Webster 1b uses "hopes" to be able.
Collins specifically includes "having the necessary" [whatever is required to do whatever]
Oxford, again, "having"
All three of them predicate the definition with "having." They require that the conditions be met in order ot be able to do something.

If there are any unfulfilled conditions for a "thing", then you are not able to do that thing. I'm fully aware that the people in the video intended the lax, colloquial, usage. That doesn't make it correct.

Until you satisfy all of the conditions for doing something, you are not able to do it. A condition of winning a lottery is being one of those selected. I'm capable of writing in script. I'm not able to do it, because I'm not holding a pen.

The reason legal definitions are different from dictionary definitions is because legal definitions are not flexible, they require that words mean what they mean, not something close to what they mean because that's how people use them.