• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

greed

DeletedUser

why the eff does 99% of the ppl that put up trades make them extremely one sided no i do not want your 150 steel for 200 planks /end rant

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

The maximum value value ratio that can be posted is 4:1 or 1:4.
The wholesaler charges 5:1 or 1:5 so you're still better off using the outrageous 4:1 or 1:4 prices for goods.
You can use coins to buy Knowledge Points, so don't use them to buy goods.
You can use supplies to buy Goods of each type other than your own boosts.

Conclusions: Use supplies if you need something from the wholesaler, with goods and coins as desperation measures.

DeletedUser

remember there is this 50% trade fee involved when trading with players you haven't discovered. For example, such a player placed an offer of 150 steel for 150 planks, and you will see it as 150 steel for 225 planks. If you want a 'fair' offer from them, they'll have to lose out.

Plus a 150 to 200 offer is so much better than the wholesaler offer anyway, I'd take it happily without a second thought... Please mourn for someone who only has ONE meaningful player to trade with...

DeletedUser535

why the eff does 99% of the ppl that put up trades make them extremely one sided no i do not want your 150 steel for 200 planks /end rant

Maybe you don't know about the 50% penalty fee charged by the trade market. It is charged if you trade with a player that you have not "discovered" yet. The majority of the trades that you are seeing on the market look lop-sided for that reason. The trade you mentioned, of 150 steel for 200 planks is actually an even trade. But it is made to look one sided because of the penalty fee charged by the trade market. If you see a tiny yellow circle with an exclamation point inside, that trade is from an undiscovered city. If you click on that circle, it will tell you how much the player has actually asked for, and how much the penalty fee added is. The penalty fee is something that is not very well explained when you start the game, and it takes awhile for players to realize why the market looks so lop-sided. Unfortunately, you can only trade evenly with players who's cities you have discovered, and who have also discovered your city. The connection has to go in both directions, or it does not remove the trade penalty. What is very frustrating is that the vast majority of active traders on the market are from cities that you have not discovered. And, that are probably too far away for you to discover anytime soon.

DeletedUser

Maybe you don't know about the 50% penalty fee charged by the trade market. It is charged if you trade with a player that you have not "discovered" yet. The majority of the trades that you are seeing on the market look lop-sided for that reason. The trade you mentioned, of 150 steel for 200 planks is actually an even trade. But it is made to look one sided because of the penalty fee charged by the trade market. If you see a tiny yellow circle with an exclamation point inside, that trade is from an undiscovered city. If you click on that circle, it will tell you how much the player has actually asked for, and how much the penalty fee added is. The penalty fee is something that is not very well explained when you start the game, and it takes awhile for players to realize why the market looks so lop-sided. Unfortunately, you can only trade evenly with players who's cities you have discovered, and who have also discovered your city. The connection has to go in both directions, or it does not remove the trade penalty. What is very frustrating is that the vast majority of active traders on the market are from cities that you have not discovered. And, that are probably too far away for you to discover anytime soon.

Totally agree. Except that I don't think the connection has to go in both directions to remove the trade fee though... Once I tried discovering one player and saw the demanded goods was immediately lowered, and I doubt if he had already discovered me since I was a lot advanced in tech tree than him.

DeletedUser

remember there is this 50% trade fee involved when trading with players you haven't discovered. For example, such a player placed an offer of 150 steel for 150 planks, and you will see it as 150 steel for 225 planks. If you want a 'fair' offer from them, they'll have to lose out.

Plus a 150 to 200 offer is so much better than the wholesaler offer anyway, I'd take it happily without a second thought... Please mourn for someone who only has ONE meaningful player to trade with...
If you are the player with only ONE other to trade with, you have my sincere sympathy. My thanks to you and to others who have pointed out the meaning of the very lopsided trades. I wondered how one "pays a fee", and now I know!

DeletedUser

Actually, this is a game that has a Hamburg Germany address, if I saw correctly. No need to add any ones political thoughts, whether for or against, to A GAME!

It is all about making money, plain and simple.

There is no rush to build, produce what you need, it may take a little longer, but that will be one way to get what you may need to get what you may want.

DeletedUser511

I wish there was a way to just block the people that suck at trading. I mean there is someone in there I talked to that thinks its normal to give 2 to 1. Meaning they give 1 wood for 2 metal. They are just idiots. Plus this same dude same a trade for 155 silk for 100 metal. Thats just one of the dumbest trades I have ever seen in there and he thinks its a good trade thats the funny part.

LOL another one 225 planks for 100 metal. These people are idiots. I wish we can block some people form the trade board so I dont have to scan through the rip offs.

DeletedUser18

The star-rating system is a fairly accurate judge of the value-comparison between goods. In general, 2-3 stars are "acceptable" for most people. 1 star is a bad trade, 4 is excellent. Even so, trading at the wholesaler is more expensive than even the worst trade possible (5:1 vs. 3:1) so players have the flexibility to negotiate their own trades all while remaining comparably "good"

DeletedUser61

Heh - you're depending on some old habits.
  • We have 3 2 1 0 stars since a month or so ago. Same meaning, just one less star in each category
  • Users can post trades that range from 4:1 through 1:4 value to value

When you're facing 50 pages of trades, it's convenient to know where you DON'T need to look.
Here's the unfiltered (and filtered) sort order.
  1. Sufficient Quantity On-Hand (Green Accept button)
  2. Tier of Offered Goods
  3. Type of Offered Goods (within each tier, small to large quantities)
  4. Rating (actual ratio, in effect, because the demand quantity is sorted small to large)
  5. Tier of Demanded Goods
  6. Type of Demanded Goods (within each tier, small to large quantities)
  7. NOT name, so probably posting date
  • You can review your current inventory on the Place Trades tab
  • I haven't found any sort of expiry date, so junk trades may become a problem.
  • You can, however, use the Offer and Demand filters, and the most expensive trades sort last, so we may be OK.

DeletedUser511

I think its a waste of time going through pages of jerks selling things 4 to 1 and no stars.

DeletedUser

I think its a waste of time going through pages of jerks selling things 4 to 1 and no stars.

Yes, it's frustrating. What's more so is when more than half of all trades available are junk trades from a single tradespammer! Here's what I do:
  • I only produce my boosted goods. There happen to be enough active people around me that I can always trade for what I need, though it might take some time to close a deal on certain less common goods.
  • First, I filter for trades seeking my boosted 1st tier good (Marble). I generally accept any 3-star deal I can afford.
  • Do the same for my 2nd tier boost (Crystal).
  • Check my stocks to determine what kind of trade I want to make. Today, it's Marble for Planks/Steel and Crystal for Silk/Steel.
  • My offer depends on the available offers. I consider how much of my offered goods are already being offered, as well as how much of the goods I want are already being demanded. The more competition there is, the more competitive my offer.
  • If an offer has not been filled in 24 hrs, I take it down and reassess, usually making a stronger offer instead.
The bottom line is, there is no need to slog through pages and pages of offers that are ultimately irrelevant to your trading needs. You produce lots of Steel? Just look at the trade offers demanding Steel in return! You need to get more Marble? Just look at offers of Marble for Steel! You don't like what you see? Make counter-offers! It's all part of the game, and it's just a game after all.

DeletedUser511

So what do you do when a quest asks for you to upgrade what you dont have? Do you waste resources then demolish them after wards in till they ask again and start over?

I dont have that many active and I have discovered like 15 to 20 radius around me maybe more. Most dont play. I could have even trades sit in there for a week or more. I dont cut people I trade 1 for 1 which is fair. I see people doing 4 for 1 and that kind of spamming should be stopped and not even aloud to go through. Thats worse then no stars thats minus.

DeletedUser68

Hopefully we're at a temporary narrow spot. There was better trade balance before they had to start deleting inactive cities, and there'll be better balance again once we have some Fellowships. My inclination is to ignore the problem until we have a chance to see if the announced changes will suffice.

No stars can be as extreme as 4:1 through 1:4, value to value, but that's still better than the 1:5 that's offered by the Wholesaler. The Trade Window is by no means perfect, but you'll have to admit that's it's a huge improvement over the eye-gouging contests that we have to put up with in Forge of Empires.

I'll think about it though, while I'm sitting on the dock sipping a Mai Tai. I suspect the Devs have their hands full at the moment.

There's a nice thoughtful article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_and_management_simulation
They happen to agree with my view that City Builder games are all about crisis avoidance. The real challenge is using a delicate touch that allows everything to run smoothly. It's a very different approach to gaming, and it's not for the hair-on-fire types, but those of us who are old and slow and sneaky like to have a game where we don't have to worry about "winning" and can enjoy just being there.

DeletedUser503

My absolute favorite city builder to this day is Anno, but only because you have so many dimensions to balance, trade routes, resource distribution, happiness on multiple factors for citizens. I have high hopes for this one, enjoying it so far, after playing FoE for something like three years, it's a nice change, and considering we're only on release 19, I'm looking forward to enjoying the changes and evolution of the game for years to come!