• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

greed

DeletedUser43

Greed....hmm....such a misunderstood term.

If I offer you 1000 planks for your 500 steel then it means that I value 500 steel more than my 1000 planks. If you trade with me that will mean you value my 1000 planks more than your 500 steel. Both of us are happy. We each get what we want. Win win.

Now flip it, suppose I offer you 500 planks for 1000 of your steel. That means I don't value your steel that much and that I value my planks more. If you trade with me that will me that you do value 500 of my planks more than your 1000 steel. It means that you need my planks for some reason and you need them more than your steel. Both of us are going to get what we want. We both win.

You may call the second situation "greedy" but that is silly. If you had someone else that was willing to give you 1000 planks for your 1000 steel then you would obviously have traded with them instead. But you didn't have that option. Your other option was to trade 5000 of your steel to get 1000 planks.

Everyone wants stuff. We all want as much stuff as we can get. Everyone who buys labor wants labor for as cheaply as they can get it (wouldn't you rather pay a plumber $500 than $2000?) and everyone who sells labor wants to get the most they can for it (wouldn't you rather get paid $100 an hour than $10 an hour?). As long as no one is being coerced and is forced to do anything, then the trading happens when each side gets what they want. You likely won't work for 25 cents an hour and probably no employer will pay you $100. Same thing with planks and steel and marble. If you get enough then a trade happens, if not then a trade doesn't.

All that said, most of the uneven trades you see happen because of the trader's fee. Hopefully, the new coming system will take care of that. :)

DeletedUser

I would like to know why the game is getting so greedy already?as far as I can tell Elvenar is a farely new game and I really like it so far.and I have only been playing a couple of weeks myself.but im stuck already!!!? I have a full bar of XPpoints I cant use for research I cant unlock because I cant get enough goods and pts together to complete my researches?the only way I can move forward right now would be to buy it with real money.i know all online games need money it makes the world go round.but to make a player have to pay to play or sit idle staring at a full bar of XP points and not being able to gather enough goods is really crazy?at the moment I would have to put a hault at making goods like marble and steel and what have u to gather enough pts to unlock researches and at the same time I need troops to open and finish off already open provs.now I see we can have a good amount of troops per individual groups of sws or archers but at most u can only have 5 groups.Therefor why do I have to battle against 6 or 7 or even 8 groups of enemies?It all boils down to money.if I cant beat the enemy troops then I would have to nego. with the towns in the prov which means I would have to end up buying stuff I cant get unless I open my wallet! kind of messed up I think?

DeletedUser61

Elvenar is a City Builder, and as such the challenges require you to plan the development of your city with enough finesse to avoid Crisis Management. If you're only focusing on your immediate challenges, you're just going to lurch from crisis to crisis.

Quests that require you to build non-boosted manufacturing buildings are a fine example of a complex goal that can be stated very simply. They allow the player a LOT of flexibility in how to achieve the indicated goal, and even if the building itself is not something that you want to keep, the infrastructure that you have to develop will most certainly be useful.

The Cultural Buildings that provide BOTH population and culture are terribly tempting, but I rarely spend diamonds on anything where patience will provide the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I would like to know why the game is getting so greedy already?as far as I can tell Elvenar is a farely new game and I really like it so far.and I have only been playing a couple of weeks myself.but im stuck already!!!? I have a full bar of XPpoints I cant use for research I cant unlock because I cant get enough goods and pts together to complete my researches?the only way I can move forward right now would be to buy it with real money.i know all online games need money it makes the world go round.but to make a player have to pay to play or sit idle staring at a full bar of XP points and not being able to gather enough goods is really crazy?at the moment I would have to put a hault at making goods like marble and steel and what have u to gather enough pts to unlock researches and at the same time I need troops to open and finish off already open provs.now I see we can have a good amount of troops per individual groups of sws or archers but at most u can only have 5 groups.Therefor why do I have to battle against 6 or 7 or even 8 groups of enemies?It all boils down to money.if I cant beat the enemy troops then I would have to nego. with the towns in the prov which means I would have to end up buying stuff I cant get unless I open my wallet! kind of messed up I think?

I took a look at your city and think the problem is that you build a lot of non-boosted manufactories. Your boosted tier-1 good is marble, and you're recommended to focus on it solely to maximize your production efficiency and to trade it for other non-boosted goods. I guess what you did is when you see a research requiring planks or steel, you build those manufactories. When they ask more, you build more. No. That's what Katwijk called 'If you're only focusing on your immediate challenges, you're just going to lurch from crisis to crisis.'

Instead, really try to simply focus on producing boosted goods and use them to trade for others. Also, exploit repeatable quests to gain more coins and supplies to buy goods if you need them immediately. If you don't have enough active neighbors to trade with, join a fellowship and trade with your fellows. The fellowship is going to be introduced today. If you follow this path, and you log in frequently enough (like collecting produced goods every 3 hrs), you'll find this game self-sufficient and you shouldn't ever think about spending real money on goods at all. For me, goods is never a bottleneck, KP is. I'm constantly waiting for more KP's.

DeletedUser688

i think the 50% trading "fee" is too brutal and unfair. it's bs. why can't they just charge 1 "knowledge point" like in forge of empires?

DeletedUser

The 50% is still way better than using wholesale or even trying to produce the goods yourself. And they're probably trying to differentiate Elvenar rather than making it into a FoE clone.

DeletedUser

Not true, I think. My production boosts are all over 200%, so my efficiency for those goods is more than 3x better than it would be for the others. Trading at 3:1 against me is still a better investment than trying to make everything on my own.

DeletedUser688

The 50% is still way better than using wholesale or even trying to produce the goods yourself. And they're probably trying to differentiate Elvenar rather than making it into a FoE clone.

uh...no?

maybe it gets worse later, i dunno.
i'm still on tier 1 goods and i get repeatable quests that say "collect 40 steel" and "collect 40 marble" (my boost is for planks so i get collect 80 planks as a quest)
40 goods wholesale costs 8000 coins + 800 supplies...or 1600 supplies or 16000 coins.
the quest reward is 6000 coins and 600 supplies.

so if i skip quests until that one loops back around, i can keep buying steel and marble wholesale for a net cost of only 2000 coins 200 supplies.
chump change.

much better than trading away 80 planks to get 40 of one of those.

people keep talking about how brutal wholesale is but coins and supplies are easy to get from the repeatable quests.
i massed 2000 steel, 2000 marble in less than a day...

compare that to my 12 planks buildings with 154% boost, that take all day for me to get about 400...

its ironic how my "boosted" good is taking the longest to collect. i've resorted to trading my extra steel and marble at a rate of 100:75 for planks..
in addition, i've just been negotiating my way through every encounter that demands steel and marble. i still fight when they demand planks because i value my planks more

DeletedUser688

although...the subjedt of greedy unfair trades is now moot, seeing as the new fellowship system allows us to join a fellowship and trade with them for free. so never again, do i have to look at an empty trade screen or one filled with 1* unfair trades all from the same guy...

DeletedUser

I have a sneaking suspicion that repeatable quests are going to get nerfed in a future update...

And yay for fellowships!

DeletedUser688

i just realized...2 players working in tandem could exploit the repeatable quests to get infinite coins and supplies...
if they are in the same fellowship they could skip quests until they get "gain 40 goods" and then trade for the good for free with their partner, and then their partner could skip to the goods quest and trade back,

the 2 players would essentially be getting paid 6000 coins and 600 supplies each time, to pass the same 40 goods back and forth.

DeletedUser626

building more than enough supplies to bypass building, and research challenges.

Valtitude

What do you mean by nerfed? Thanks
It's a play on words - 'nerfing' where people cycle quests by declining them to get bonus resources. The developers are reducing players ability to decline quests from unlimited to one per day per player on the beta site. The clock resets at midnight. Evidently, what occurs on the beta site reaches the other servers like this one, a week or two later.