• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Halloween Event

Kanesi

Why is it that we know when the event will be played in Beta but it's always a secret as to when it will start in live worlds. Some of us would like to prepare and let our players know what's coming. By the time this event starts Halloween will be over and who wants to play a Halloween event after the holiday is past. Doesn't make sense. It should start so that it ends on 11/1 not halfway to Thanksgiving.

Aritra

By the time this event starts Halloween will be over and who wants to play a Halloween event after the holiday is past. Doesn't make sense. It should start so that it ends on 11/1 not halfway to Thanksgiving.
I agree in that it doesn't make sense to start it so late in October (have they even posted a start date yet? if so, I missed it).
I haven't been around long enough to know what's typical but I think it's odd. The only thing that makes sense is that something unforeseen occurred and created an unexpected delay. Then again, there are some in the forum vocal about irrational/illogical choices by INNO so who knows.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Absolutely. I think a Halloween event should culminate very near Halloween. I don't mind a couple days over, but I think it silly to have it last more than a week after the event.

DarkKitty

I agree. I love Halloween and have been really looking forward to this. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy it's coming, I just wish it was timed a bit better and we had a clear expectation date.

Also, I totally understand not rushing something, we all want a good experience. But it's not like standard holidays are unforeseen. Still looking forward to the 22nd!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Why is it that we know when the event will be played in Beta but it's always a secret as to when it will start in live worlds. Some of us would like to prepare and let our players know what's coming. By the time this event starts Halloween will be over and who wants to play a Halloween event after the holiday is past. Doesn't make sense. It should start so that it ends on 11/1 not halfway to Thanksgiving.
I agree in that it doesn't make sense to start it so late in October (have they even posted a start date yet? if so, I missed it).
I haven't been around long enough to know what's typical but I think it's odd. The only thing that makes sense is that something unforeseen occurred and created an unexpected delay. Then again, there are some in the forum vocal about irrational/illogical choices by INNO so who knows.
Absolutely. I think a Halloween event should culminate very near Halloween. I don't mind a couple days over, but I think it silly to have it last more than a week after the event.
I agree. I love Halloween and have been really looking forward to this. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy it's coming, I just wish it was timed a bit better and we had a clear expectation date.

Also, I totally understand not rushing something, we all want a good experience. But it's not like standard holidays are unforeseen. Still looking forward to the 22nd!
This is the earliest they've ever launched a Halloween event, and is the first time we are getting it more than week before Halloween. I think people have been confused in their expectations becuase they wanted lots of time to test the new mechanic.
Launch dates:
Oct 28 2019 Frankenspleen
Oct 30th 2018 Headless Halloween
Oct 27 2017 Spooktacular Halloween
Oct 30 2016 Lord Pumpkin

DarkKitty

I think people have been confused in their expectations becuase they wanted lots of time to test the new mechanic.

I'm not sure whose expectations these are. As a player, my expectation is that the Halloween event will largely be played in October. If you mean the designers, then the expectation should be to start work on this so it will better align with the holiday the event is tied to. Testing does take a lot of time but other games manage to release content that coincides with the calendar. It can be done.

While it's true previous events launched very late-and the day before Halloween is VERY late- that doesn't diminish my point about timing. Players might have more enthusiasm for this event and therefore the game, if it comes at the time when people are interested in the holiday. This is a win- win sort of observation.

Again, I'm super happy about this event. The building and mini-game look amazing. But it really isn't the hardest thing in the world to plan the event far enough ahead that they can release it at an earlier time in month. :)

Aritra

This is the earliest they've ever launched a Halloween event, and is the first time we are getting it more than week before Halloween. I think people have been confused in their expectations becuase they wanted lots of time to test the new mechanic.
Launch dates:
Oct 28 2019 Frankenspleen
Oct 30th 2018 Headless Halloween
Oct 27 2017 Spooktacular Halloween
Oct 30 2016 Lord Pumpkin
Thank you for posting this. As I said in my comment, I'm too new to know what is typical. I did find it odd because it is not unreasonable to expect a Halloween event during October (not just beginning). I see now that end of the month to start is normal, so looking at that, we're a bit early this year (as noted). Though I agree it should start a pinch earlier (to end nearer Halloween), I'm not concerned. My feelings are more of surprise than annoyance or frustration. As far as the theme, it's neat and it's beautiful, however theme is simply windowdressing and aesthetic (which I generally have an appreciation for) and the game is still the game which is why most are here.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thank you for posting this. As I said in my comment, I'm too new to know what is typical. I did find it odd because it is not unreasonable to expect a Halloween event during October (not just beginning). I see now that end of the month to start is normal, so looking at that, we're a bit early this year (as noted). Though I agree it should start a pinch earlier (to end nearer Halloween), I'm not concerned. My feelings are more of surprise than annoyance or frustration. As far as the theme, it's neat and it's beautiful, however theme is simply windowdressing and aesthetic (which I generally have an appreciation for) and the game is still the game which is why most are here.
My feelings exactly.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm not sure whose expectations these are.
The people who have been playing for a while and saw the event started on Beta more than two weeks ago. Those people's expectations were amplified in the forum Echo chamber. While they might not have affected your expectations or those of any given player, they probably caused other people, who should have known better, to start wondering if there is a problem. As soon as experienced players start asking why an event is delayed, it starts to spread, even though the event is not at all late for how the Elvenar team chooses to run their Halloween event.

NightshadeCS

I imagine events are planned out pretty well in advance and that the entire year is penciled in all at one time, somewhat like budgets are. The fact that this event coincides with Halloween is probably somewhat coincidental. What I mean is, the span of days between events is probably adhered to more than landing the event prior, during, or after a holiday.

Concho Star

Until this year, the Halloween events were mini events (which seem to now be a thing of the past). The first ones were 14 days and in 2018 and 19, they were 10 days. The main prizes were either 1 or 2 buildings, none of which were set builidings or evolving buildings.

Aritra

@Aritra
Halloween celebrations start on Halloween and run for about a week as they roll other festivities into the mix in a lot of places

Also Octoberfest is kind of big in Germany. They are much to busy with beer and brats!
Thanks for the info. I did not know this.
And beer and brats could be quite the distraction, hahaha

Looking at the calendar, unless I'm confused (which happens), it appears Halloween falls almost dead center of event. Could be coincidental but most likely that was the intention, which does make sense.

Speaking only for US, October is the time for things Halloween, then ending on the date itself. Beginning of November, Halloween is over and decorations come out for Thanksgiving (which I know isn't universal, lol). From that perspective, it is reasonable to feel like its late and scheduled to overstay.
However, yes, there's a whole world outside the US and in the broader view it makes sense. And eurocentricity is natural and not unreasonable, lol

The other issue, though, is releasing the dates. If these things have a timeline to release on a date, why wait until within a couple of days to tell when it will be? They've been advertising for the event heavily (on Facebook, at least) but silent on when it would take place.