• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Halloween Themed Vacancies Map

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Today, I want to talk about the living dead—Zombie Cities, all those long abandoned dead cities booted from fellowships eons ago with no affiliations to fellowships. It's high times that the World Map catches up with reality. Therefore, in the month of October, all inactive cities without a fellowship and all Gold Mine provinces shall now be repurposed as pop up costume stores.

Pros:
  • Conveniently fulfills shopping needs for spooky merchandise without having to travel very far
  • Brings life and traffic to dead parts of the neighborhood
  • Elves can dress up as humans without taking on their hideously bulky, beige buildings
  • Humans can dress up as elves pretending they can shoot down orcs while sliding down a flight of stairs on a shield like Legolas
  • The Goblin Flower can finally be something else without the Fairy Queen
  • Adds festive seasonal touches without involving pumpkin spice
  • Easily shines a spotlight to how many inactive cities there are in a neighborhood with the bright orange banner
  • Reinvigorates the local economy
  • We have not used up our allotment of 3 bi-weekly ideas
Cons:
  • None. Nil. Zip. Zilch. There's nothing bad about this idea, like at all.

spirit-map.jpg

Last edited:
you know i love unicorns but what is all the craziness over the unicorns??? lolol if they produced goods then by all means but they take up space lololol. yes they are pretty but i am to practical for space in this game sorry lolol i know i am in the minority on this one. lolol

crackie

Can we buy costumes for the unicorns?
Yes. Some unicorns already think they're candy canes.

Would this be just for Halloween or other holidays?
Just Halloween. At least I have never seen any pop up Kwanzaa or Easter stores filling empty storefronts before. We should stick to the winning formula.

if they produced goods then by all means but they take up space
Everyone knows unicorns fart rainbows. They take up more space than you think! That's why my Unicorn Glade is next to my Menhirok's Barrow. It's sucking rainbows into a pot of gold or something, like some sort of air freshener.

Player9999

Can we auction rights to pick which staff take on which costumes, and require them to live in some as seen on TV fake reality house with cameras streaming 24/7 for 3 months, and do that linked to someone with an IRB to formally study responses and compared to Covid upheavals, and some to be defined baselines?

Or, make that episode a simple job requirement, so the IRB can be for a meta-study after, with way more relaxed ethical criteria?

Oh, and two variants, Inno workplace and HR ads related, with free beer, or none. <eg>

Player9999

Can we auction rights to pick which staff take on which costumes, and require them to live in some as seen on TV fake reality house with cameras streaming 24/7 for 3 months, and do that linked to someone with an IRB to formally study responses and compared to Covid upheavals, and some to be defined baselines?

Or, make that episode a simple job requirement, so the IRB can be for a meta-study after, with way more relaxed ethical criteria?

Oh, and two variants, Inno workplace and HR ads related, with free beer, or none. <eg>

Would costumes alone enable revisiting a comparative set of Stanford and Milliken experiments, at least if any study of the comparison was unbundled from the nuisance of modern IRB's, possibly beyond the increasingly popular meta-variants?

Those could get the further twist of how the free beer or lack thereof skews behaviors?

crackie

No, because privacy laws. Everyone knows anything we are not allowed to do is covered by ironclad privacy laws. For example, why can’t browser players have an easier neighborly visit experience? Because privacy laws.

Did you mean Milgram, by chance? If so, that escalated quickly, lol.
We can combine both experiments. Instead of playing prison guards, the players pretend to be devs and make the devs play their own games. That covers both abusing authority and fake torture. Or perhaps we should just see which unicorn eats the marshmallow first? I don’t know how this has anything to do with pop up costume shops though. They must Halloween differently in your state, @fckm.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
While I do see pop up Halloween stores, I see more pop up Christmas stores. Since Halloween is related to the same religion it may be offensive to some to have an over representation of one religion over another, but on the other hand, since we are using the normal experience with pop up stores as our measure, we can claim it's a cultural celebration, not a religious one. It seems I've heard that one before, somewhere. In addition, I have to show my cultural ignorance and wonder what the symbolic representation for Kwanzaa, might be.

AJ

Player9999

Did you mean Milgram, by chance? If so, that escalated quickly, lol.
Yes. Leading my FS to its new high FA score, despite questioning whether the work is worth it of FA designed to abuse more than help players, must have had my eyes glazing over and rushed to work through some forum content that day.

Seriously though, generation of data by business practices, in nefarious countries, or indirect means, and then doing only meta-studies, has increasingly been used to work around any IRB based modern "ethics". Or for Facebook, IAC/I Match media brands, et al, just violate related laws and assume they won' be enforced anyway. For some HHS funds recipient colleges as well....

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@helya I am expecting it here, as on Beta, in the past week or so, I have had a huge amount of new cities show up on the map around me and I don't think they have moved people on Beta before in the 16 months I have had a city there.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
@helya I am expecting it here, as on Beta, in the past week or so, I have had a huge amount of new cities show up on the map around me and I don't think they have moved people on Beta before in the 16 months I have had a city there.
Yes, the adjustments have already been made on beta, so it's good to hear you noticed a difference!

crackie

Just an update, some changes have been made to the city removal/movement tool, so you might see some adjustments to your neighbors/empty spaces over the next few weeks.
Ohhhhh. Well, since we're 4 days past Halloween now, are we getting pop up XMAS tree farms? This is exciting! According to Hallmark, XMAS tree farms are a great place for over-worked, jaded city elves to find hot dates to rekindle their holiday spirits!

crackie

@helya I see a ton of new faces in my neighborhood today. Did they change move-in date to Tues or is Move-In Monday still in tact, but I'm only noticing them today? Though I didn't see new faces in my trader yesterday.

crackie

Because @helya twisted my arm...

You are an overworked Jaded City Elf. You need more culture to rekindle your holiday spirit. Which neighbor do you visit?
  1. XMAS Tree Farm - Even though they are seasonal and temporary, people who work there are supposedly more reputable than the carneys working the 4th of July festival in town.
  2. Unicorn Inn - Nothing says a getaway from the crowded hustle and bustle of city life than a remote, quaint inn. Terrible things in the shower only happens at the Unicorn Motel, but the Unicorn Inn is totally safe. Bad things happens at motels. Magic happens at inns, like being snowed in every time so it requires an extended stay. (Your elf parents probably owns the Inn too.)
  3. Santa Claus - Yo, Santa's totally real and he's gonna mess up your life if you keep chasing your corporate dreams! Santa's a communist that spies on you all year to see what you're up to and gives away free toys. He doth not support your capitalistic aspirations.
  4. Sweets Bakery - There's an annual holiday baking contest taking place here involving pumpkin spice where people are willing to throw away their moral compass to steal heirloom recipes to win at all costs, but all is forgiven as long as you have a crush on someone in that family. (November forum contest is less cutthroat)
  5. Secret Prince - You didn't know elves are an autonomous anarcho-syndicalist commune since their prince is in hiding because otherwise, his British accent will give him away and THIS IS THE U.S. MARKET!
  6. Corporate Shill - Your overworked Jaded City Elf could be already working with the Corporate Shill as a colleague trying to shut down the local community center to ruin the holidays for all the street urchins OR you're working against him as the fierce competition. (Spoiler: Santa's prob going to ruin your business deal, but at least you have each other.)
  7. Childhood Friend - Even though you guys were "best friends", for unexplained reasons, communications ceased once your elf moved into the Big City. It took 20 years to learn there's a hard crush involved, and it's not on logic.
holiday-rom-com.png

Last edited: