• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Help prevent sending private messages to the whole fellowship

Warning for messages sent to entire FS

• In Favor

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Not in Favor

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
When I am sending a message and have added some individual players to the Recipients field then I sometimes press the "send to whole fs" checkbox afterwards even though I didn't meant to (I guess I am too used to press this button when I send messages). When I do this I risk sending messages to the wrong persons:(

I suggest adding a warning (something like "You have already added recipients, do you really want to send to the whole fellowship instead?") when I press the "send to whole fs" if I have already added individual recipients - in most cases I didn't intend to send to the whole fs in this case!

If the Recipients field is empty then the warning should not appear!

I would expect it would be easy to implement this warning - if it isn't easy then please disregard this suggestion! I would like the warning both in browser and on mobile.

Pros: Helps prevent sending private messages to the whole fellowship.

Cons: This suggestion doesn't solve any other problems with the current message system (and I won't extend the suggestion to solve other problems as it then won't be an easy change anymore).

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
That happened to me once and I was really embarrassed. I would like to see a warning button like that.

StarLoad

While I understand the issue I don't see how you can "accidentally" check the box, at least on the browser version. But if it does happen the extra warning should help, so I could go along with the idea.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yeah, I imagine few people forget and are in the habit of checking the fs check box automatically, but if they are, I can see how this would be a problem. Does it happen often enough and to enough people that it would be worth the effort? I'm not sure it does, but if the devs want to take the time to do it, I'd not have a problem with it. Anything for The Fairy, you know. ;)

AJ

The Fairy

While I understand the issue I don't see how you can "accidentally" check the box, at least on the browser version.

I guess it is cause I mostly send messages to the whole fellowship, so I am in a habit to check the "whole fellowship" checkbox and sometimes do it even when sending to individual players.

Does it happen often enough and to enough people that it would be worth the effort? I

I don't know - but I thought a vote could help decide that? But I would expect it to be easy to implement (if it isn't easy then I doubt it will be worth it). And If I am the only one who want it then it should of course not be implemented!

Last edited:

Darielle

Don't talk about people behind their back.
Problem solved
Lol ... in my case when it happened, I was sending a message to the mages to tell them I was thinking of leaving after the tourney; it went out to everyone and that was definitely not my intention. But yeah, I could see how talking about another member would be awkward too, lol.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Lol ... in my case when it happened, I was sending a message to the mages to tell them I was thinking of leaving after the tourney; it went out to everyone and that was definitely not my intention. But yeah, I could see how talking about another member would be awkward too, lol.

There used to be a "whisper" function in chat
you would type " /wDarielle " and your message was only seen by Darielle
there were often embarrassing moments when someone would mistype and the whole FS would see

?wDarielle I'm about tired of Muck's BS

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
there were often embarrassing moments when someone would mistype and the whole FS would see

OOf that's a tough one. I used to be in the habit of mixing up private messages and my signature, but I've stopped making that mistake.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

Strange, but I have no problem imagining that message. :D

AJ

Player9999

I'd rather not see minor tweaks, to messaging systems that needs at least triple the retained message count, better ability to post longer and formatted messages about events, visibility for cc's, ability to type and edit doing other tasks in between without losing it, ability to add or remove cc: parties, control of notifications such that a swap thread isn't a nuisance only avoided by avoiding FS's with those, etc.

The FS Chat could use functional scroll, better handling of chat vs underlying city layers, ability to post formatted info, and an editor box capable of seeing a message before posting, and not cursor-jump if one pops to another task and back.

A game with the events here really shouldn't push players to so many off-site systems to communicate.

Darielle

Rofl, oh that's awesome! lol

hvariidh gwendrot

i put 99.9% of all my conversations in open chat .. no way would i have a conversation with some members and not all, that's just bad social skills .. either cut them or include them and get rid of the "private" conversations

The Fairy

i put 99.9% of all my conversations in open chat .. no way would i have a conversation with some members and not all, that's just bad social skills .. either cut them or include them and get rid of the "private" conversations

So if one of my members isn't doing tourney min then I send this to everyone asking if xxx is well or just has forgotten....

Or if I message someone not in a fellowship to ask if they want to join then I send this to the whole fs...

The Fairy

I'd rather not see minor tweaks, to messaging systems that needs...

I can see your point, and if the devs are working on a new message system then I hope they refuse to implement changes like this suggestion. If not then I hope they will implement small improvements. And hopefully bigger too!

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I'd rather not see minor tweaks, to messaging systems that needs at least triple the retained message count, better ability to post longer and formatted messages about events, visibility for cc's, ability to type and edit doing other tasks in between without losing it, ability to add or remove cc: parties, control of notifications such that a swap thread isn't a nuisance only avoided by avoiding FS's with those, etc.

The FS Chat could use functional scroll, better handling of chat vs underlying city layers, ability to post formatted info, and an editor box capable of seeing a message before posting, and not cursor-jump if one pops to another task and back.

A game with the events here really shouldn't push players to so many off-site systems to communicate.
Oh yeah, you said it! What about the ability to add or remove recipients of said message as well, and this would cover @Bethanne Rainbow's Suggestion as well.

hvariidh gwendrot

if someone isn't performing, yes we will ask how we can help, if someone is bricking and being lazy we just cut them, all in open chat correct .. no need to fear communication, if someone isn't in the fellowship then they are not in chat and need to recieve a message durrr

The Fairy

I have read through all comments again. I updated my original post to emphazise that the suggestion should be disregarded if it isn't easy to implement. As for the comments about other changes needed to the whole message system then I consider it out of scope for this suggestion, although I do agree with them (but I don't expect that will be easy to implement!). Any other change suggestions for my original post before I ask for a vote?