• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Helpful advice on the tournaments

DeletedUser3297

Hey everyone! A beautiful new website is being created to provide everything you want to know about Elvenar!

This website has been a collaboration of experienced players (myself included) that provides real game knowledge, helpful tips, chapter guides, tournament fighting and soon to come province fighting!

Check out our tips and tricks for the Gems tournament!

https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/gems-tournament

42783b_2eadb2a7d14e4473997d7dac48a68461~mv2.jpg

DeletedUser5202

Looks amazing. Is this the newly named Platinum Leaf Community? I might be wrong but I thought I got a Facebook notice telling me that Platinum changed their name to Gems of Knowledge...Either way, looks great and I look forward to using it to hopefully inspire my FS to take part in the upcoming tournaments. I try to offer auto battle advice for each tournament and sometimes I am forgetful. Nice to have more knowledgeable player advice on hand.

DeletedUser3640

Looks really cool and promising.

Would love to see tips about upcoming Marble tournament before it starts though, just to test if it's of any use to inexperienced players.

Constructive criticism:

The most important things (in my opinion) are lacking. There are some practical tips that can be given and that aren't as obvious as "this unit beats this unit". Example: many players think that catering in a first few rounds is a good idea, because costs are low....which, of course, is not the case because exactly in these rounds fights are the easiest (it's nearly impossible to lose even with auto-fight). Every penny counts, so it's better so save goods until the point when fights can't be won at all or are just hard to win. You could throw in exact numbers about army strenghts in each round just to support this statement.

Also, looks like you picked the most perfect enemy comps to illustrate fights (at least image-wise). That can be extremely misleading... add some not so perfect or "hard" comps, that consists of enemies that compensate each others weaknesses, for gems let's say 3 heavy melee units, 3 light ranged 1 heavy ranged. Proper suggestion would be that players shouldn't fight against such comps, at least in 3+ rounds and using auto-fight.. Best option would be to cater them.

Next thing, more advanced tips, like:
1) explanation of terrain: at least units placement on the battlefield;
2) "always strike first" rule;
3) testing the waters with high initiative unit (might confuse many players...so..might be an overkill).

Of course, these ones are not exactly oriented towards specific type of tournament, but are quite general.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
One thing I noticed is that under Basic Strategy>City Balance(Buildings) it states that for tier 3 the average is 4, with 3 low 5 high.
As a GZ player with no premium expansions I can't imagine needing more than 2, and I cater/negotiate everything. Also needing to increase my pop by more than 10% just to get to the "average" of 4 would be very hard in the space provided even with the very high amounts of event buildings I have.

DeletedUser2963

One thing I noticed is that under Basic Strategy>City Balance(Buildings) it states that for tier 3 the average is 4, with 3 low 5 high.

Which would indicate that the average player might not be a GZ free player. Maybe the average player is...a three expansion purchasing GZ player....Or an over scouted free player.

I am an over scouted 25 expansion coiner, I don't think I am the average player, and I don't think you're the average player either @SoggyShorts;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Which would indicate that the average player might not be a GZ free player. Maybe the average player is...a three expansion purchasing GZ player....Or an over scouted free player.

I am an over scouted 25 expansion coiner, I don't think I am the average player, and I don't think you're the average player either @SoggyShorts;)
Fair point, since there are those who have bought many expansions the average must be higher than zero.;)
Still, I think when giving advice to new players it should be based on F2P, or otherwise stated.

I've had this issue in other threads when new players asked how many factories to build and someone said they have 8/7/7. If a F2P player tried that they'd be screwed.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Every time I try to go to the website I get a blank page. Is anything special needed to view it? I tried 3 different browsers and got the same thing.

DeletedUser2963

@Wood Wanderer

f2p = free to play So above we are using that term to indicate a player who has not purchased any expansions.
GZ= Goldilocks Zone. Above it is being used to indicate a player who has not over explored on the map. Someone who has opened only enough provinces to get into the next chapter (the number is on the chest at the end of each chapter). Resulting in fewer expansions than someone who has scouted beyond that.

So a GZ F2P player will have much less land (fewer expansions)to build on in their city.

DeletedUser5202

Every time I try to go to the website I get a blank page. Is anything special needed to view it? I tried 3 different browsers and got the same thing.
I had difficulties last night but it's working fine at this moment. Maybe it was being tweaked a bit when you visited.

DeletedUser3640

We just finished the Gems Tournament; and aren't the Gem Province and the Marble Provinces the same? So wouldn't the tactics be the same?

No idea. I'm training my troops in a balanced way, never felt the need to prepare myself for tournaments... If they're the same then it should be easy to copy & paste the content.

DeletedUser1560

No idea. I'm training my troops in a balanced way, never felt the need to prepare myself for tournaments... If they're the same then it should be easy to copy & paste the content.

Marble has been added! The rest are coming, soon! :D

https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/marble-tournament

But yes, experienced fighters will recognize many of the recommended units and tactics are pretty much the same ;) lol